• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

242X home made wind/rain shield

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I also learned that you dont need any grommets on the side that goes under the edge of the bimini fabric. The bimini strap and fabric are so tight that you can't pull this off (or put it on) without undoing the bimini strap. So no need to grommet that side, just the side for holding it down to the cleats etc.

While driving, no water comes up the windshield. You actually get more water coming in through the zipper to access the tower light than anywhere, but eventually you do get water seeping through the bimini, expecially where the vinyl and bimini are in contact.

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
So did you make this yet?

Our got tested again in bimini this year....worked great. I may make an added section to deploy on one side or the other (the wind usually comes from only one side). I kept this up the entire time in Bimini - meaning it was in position to deploy in case it rained - instead of bungee cords holding it down, those cords were holding it up under the bimini cover above the tower and speakers. This worked really well, and actually gave us somewhere to wedge our landing net while fishing too! Of course I never took a photo of this!

So if you have an E-series bimini, this is a cheap and easy thing to make if you ever think you might get caught out in the rain.
Not yet. I have all of my supplies to do 3 sides including grommets. But, my bimini broke before I had a chance to start working on it. As soon as I’m back to fully functioning status, I plan to give it a try.

rkim808

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Aloha @Julian that’s a awesome mod, looks mean and functional. I’ll ad that to my long list of upgrades, it’s going to take me forever to get all the upgrades I want to do done lol🤣. Could use that out here especially heading upwind in chop.🤙🏽

jcyamahariders wife

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Not yet. I have all of my supplies to do 3 sides including grommets. But, my bimini broke before I had a chance to start working on it. As soon as I’m back to fully functioning status, I plan to give it a try.
We totally need this too Abe since you know the rain follows certain people . . . .cough . . cough 🤔

VaMarine

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Just Bought 5yds of 20ga material for this, do you know what the exact lenght needs to be, or should I wait on cutting down to length until I'm with the boat.

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
you should wait. Just use some cheap material to build a mock up and then cut your pieces a couple of inches longer.

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I would wait until you are in the boat also. You need it there to know where to put everything. We love ours and followed @Julian idea. Super simple and we have used it a couple of times already. Tested to 25mph without moving, 30 and the bungees start to stretch.

rainfly2.jpg

This is before I finished up the sides. Both sides have grommets and tie into the front curtain now.

rainfly1.jpg

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I would wait until you are in the boat also. You need it there to know where to put everything. We love ours and followed @Julian idea. Super simple and we have used it a couple of times already. Tested to 25mph without moving, 30 and the bungees start to stretch.

View attachment 111329

This is before I finished up the sides. Both sides have grommets and tie into the front curtain now.

View attachment 111330
Nice! I'm flattered you copied my approach. I like it as it really follows the KIS principle! Easy to make, easy to deploy and cheap. We won't use it too much hopefully, but when you do need it, it makes a huge difference! Just don't forget to dry it off when you put it away. If you don't, the vinyl can get cloudy.

@jcyamaharider how did you do the side curtains. I have that on my list of things to make! Might just make one side, as typically its blowing in one side or the other but not both....

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Nice! I'm flattered you copied my approach. I like it as it really follows the KIS principle! Easy to make, easy to deploy and cheap. We won't use it too much hopefully, but when you do need it, it makes a huge difference! Just don't forget to dry it off when you put it away. If you don't, the vinyl can get cloudy.

@jcyamaharider how did you do the side curtains. I have that on my list of things to make! Might just make one side, as typically its blowing in one side or the other but not both....
If I have time I will get up in the boat and attach everything. I used the same approach really and just used grommets and attached to the tower where I could.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
After going back to look at the first post and the video I took, I updated the first post with the following:

-I have learned that there is no need for any grommets at the top because the bimini itself holds it in place with no trouble at all. Only the bottom edge needs grommets.

This solution is really easy to make and works great. If you think it will rain, or it is raining intermittently, you can use the bottom grommets and bungees to hold it up out of the way and then deploy as needed. That is what we do for the bimini trip. I put it on at the harbor in Fr. Lauderdale last year, and it stayed on for the whole trip. We deployed it 2-3 times when we got caught out in the rain and then just put it back up. It also help hold our fishing net (landing net) up and out of the way...

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length