• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

242X home made wind/rain shield

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Did you add the groomets to the vinyl I’m curious to do something like this myself as well but have never worked with at all so not sure how to do that.
I added the grommets to the vinyl. You can buy them at Home Depot and they come with a little kit to punch the holes and hammer on the grommets. Very easy!

I have also done the same with snaps....similar process. It is much easier with snaps if you have the right snap tool....but it can be done with a hammer vs the expensive pliers like press tool.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I added the grommets to the vinyl. You can buy them at Home Depot and they come with a little kit to punch the holes and hammer on the grommets. Very easy!

I have also done the same with snaps....similar process. It is much easier with snaps if you have the right snap tool....but it can be done with a hammer vs the expensive pliers like press tool.
Did you use anything to reinforce the area around the grommets?

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Did you use anything to reinforce the area around the grommets?
In some spots yes, others no, depending on how much stress I thought there might be. From my vinyl porch window project i learned to use heavy duty gaffers tape to reinforce the vinyl.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Here is a shot of me buttoning up our SX230 while on the Chicago Loop Cruise in 2009.

1549037709854.png

Lots of the boaters came back SOAKED from the downpour that year....we were dry as a bone!

A woman walked by us at the end of the cruise at the dock and yelled back to her husband "Look, THEY brought their camper cover and stayed DRY...I TOLD YOU we should have brought ours" I laughed out loud.

That cover was the best! You could roll up the front windows and we had loops made that allowed you to snap the rolled up windows up out of the way at the top. So you could have them ready to deploy and if it started raining, just undo 2 snaps, drop the vinyl, and snap it to the top of the windshield....

I miss that cover....(also linked in my signature if you ever seek it later)

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Here is a shot of me buttoning up our SX230 while on the Chicago Loop Cruise in 2009.

View attachment 87232

Lots of the boaters came back SOAKED from the downpour that year....we were dry as a bone!

A woman walked by us at the end of the cruise at the dock and yelled back to her husband "Look, THEY brought their camper cover and stayed DRY...I TOLD YOU we should have brought ours" I laughed out loud.

That cover was the best! You could roll up the front windows and we had loops made that allowed you to snap the rolled up windows up out of the way at the top. So you could have them ready to deploy and if it started raining, just undo 2 snaps, drop the vinyl, and snap it to the top of the windshield....

I miss that cover....(also linked in my signature if you ever seek it later)
Bragger!
That was not YOUR handy work though that enclosure in pic, was it? lol

--

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I thought about this and looks like I have a new project on the list. Next time I drag the boat home I will get started one one of these with nylon webbing and clear vinyl for a 242 ls or ar240. I have never sewn through clear vinyl but should not be too much different than vinyl upholstery and a custom job for my borther for the back of his older ar210. Those windshield snaps are easy enough to install and remove from the windshield frame just for trips. It can go up and over the bimini and attach to the tower tow point along with velcro straps to the rear bar of the tower for pretty good coverage of the cockpit.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I thought about this and looks like I have a new project on the list. Next time I drag the boat home I will get started one one of these with nylon webbing and clear vinyl for a 242 ls or ar240. I have never sewn through clear vinyl but should not be too much different than vinyl upholstery and a custom job for my borther for the back of his older ar210. Those windshield snaps are easy enough to install and remove from the windshield frame just for trips. It can go up and over the bimini and attach to the tower tow point along with velcro straps to the rear bar of the tower for pretty good coverage of the cockpit.
Check out these How To Videos from SailRite on enclosures for boats.

Sailrite - Fabric, Canvas, and Sewing Machines Since 1969

20190201_142250.jpg

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
@Julian Did you also do sides? Or, just the front?
I only had enough left over vinyl for the front, it would have been cool to do the sides too. This sheet was big enough to go around the sides a little bit, so if you keep driving you stay pretty dry in the boat (in the two forward seats anyway!

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I only had enough left over vinyl for the front, it would have been cool to do the sides too. This sheet was big enough to go around the sides a little bit, so if you keep driving you stay pretty dry in the boat (in the two forward seats anyway!
Well, I ordered 3 yards of 40ga clear vinyl.

I think will be 9’ wide by 4’6” tall. I’m hoping I have enough to puzzle out something for the sides. I’m thinking about grommets down the vertical side of the front piece then using shoe strings or something to secure to the side piece. Then down to the mid cleat or maybe suction cup to the side windows...

I’ll take notes and pics if I get something that works sort of right.

Here’s what I ordered. Scroll to the right and choose to order by the yard, then adjust to your quantity. Was much cheaper than getting 5 yard pack. Should have it next week, I think.

Clear Marine Vinyl - 54"- 40 Gauge: Sold by The Yard Amazon.com: Clear Marine Vinyl - 54"- 40 Gauge: Sold by The Yard

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
9 feet wide will cover the windshield, not sure that will give you any leftovers for the sides.
Right. I was hoping I would have extra on the height of the windshield and could cut a couple feet off. Could be overly optimistic... as I didn’t actually measure anything before purchase. Lol

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Right. I was hoping I would have extra on the height of the windshield and could cut a couple feet off. Could be overly optimistic... as I didn’t actually measure anything before purchase. Lol
How much more would you recommend? My boat is in shop for 10hr service until next week. Another 6 yards? I’m just thinking front and sides. Goal is to not get soaked, not stay completely dry. So, it doesn’t have to be air tight.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
How much more would you recommend? My boat is in shop for 10hr service until next week. Another 6 yards? I’m just thinking front and sides. Goal is to not get soaked, not stay completely dry. So, it doesn’t have to be air tight.
If I order more to makes sides for mine, I'd probably get 6-8 feet more per side (I'd measure the side to see how far back I'd want to go). At this point, I'm going to try another Bimini trip with just the bow and see if I want to make sides or not.

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
If I order more to makes sides for mine, I'd probably get 6-8 feet more per side (I'd measure the side to see how far back I'd want to go). At this point, I'm going to try another Bimini trip with just the bow and see if I want to make sides or not.
How tall are you thinking the sides would need to be?

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
So, full sheet then. That’s probably right. Thanks for helping me think this through!

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
So, full sheet then. That’s probably right. Thanks for helping me think this through!
So did you make this yet?

Our got tested again in bimini this year....worked great. I may make an added section to deploy on one side or the other (the wind usually comes from only one side). I kept this up the entire time in Bimini - meaning it was in position to deploy in case it rained - instead of bungee cords holding it down, those cords were holding it up under the bimini cover above the tower and speakers. This worked really well, and actually gave us somewhere to wedge our landing net while fishing too! Of course I never took a photo of this!

So if you have an E-series bimini, this is a cheap and easy thing to make if you ever think you might get caught out in the rain.