• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

242x tower rattle, do I get a new tower?

Westtodd

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Any idea on a part number for the "white bushing" that the tower pins goes into? I am having the same problem....

jacoviii

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
There is not a listed part#. I have the same issue and have been waiting 2 months for them. I'm hopping I do not have to sleeve the tower hole.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
This thread is a good reminder, this should be a seasonal check certainly for all forward towers.

The X towers have three bolts on each side, I have two in my AR, with factory locking nuts, need a very deep 3/4" socket - the one I use is probably 4" tall (deep?). I use a 24" extender, tightening up by feel, usually 1/4 turn every season. Nothing's really lose or moving I think the material just gets compressed overtime (hence it can be tightened up).
I like to double and triple check those parts. I actually use two nuts on those bolts.

--

jacoviii

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
I wish it was just the base. My port side pin will twist and fall out while boating

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I wish it was just the base. My port side pin will twist and fall out while boating
well, that's not good, lol. I'm sure you can get a replacement with a stopper of some kind?

--

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
My starboard side pin's safety pin was too short and the spring/ball was jammed in so the whole thing would just fall out (did this in the 2018 Bimini crossing). Dealer replaced the pin.

jacoviii

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
I have 2 new white bushings on back order. I have adjusted the set screw ball detente. I knew it was a bit loose but after I fallowed Swatski 's sound deadening post all I hear now is the tower popping and creaking.

Last edited:

tjkellner

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I have 2 new white bushings on back order. I have adjusted the set screw ball detente. I knew it was a bit loose but after I fallowed Swatski 's sound deadening post all I hear now is the tower popping and creaking.
I have the same issue.

Do you have a part number you could share with me?

Cambo

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Do you know if the sound is coming from the bimini pivot or the base ? If its the bimini pivot point i did take a small black cord and pulled it down to separate the metal to metal contact this with some lube spayed first seemed to help,.

Tuesday, February 04, 2020.jpg

tjkellner

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Do you know if the sound is coming from the bimini pivot or the base ? If its the bimini pivot point i did take a small black cord and pulled it down to separate the metal to metal contact this with some lube spayed first seemed to help,.

View attachment 111315
The base. I've compared the pin's on both sides and the port side is noticeably more loose than the starboard side.

jacoviii

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
I have the same issue.

Do you have a part number you could share with me?
Not sure i will call and get it. I knocked the white bushing out and turned it 90 deg. That helped for the rest of last year. but the damage had been done. the movement stretched the aluminum pin holes.

Troch1

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Just to bring this back to life, checked my ‘18 242x tower bolts today for the first time and all 6 nuts were barely hand tight. Get that deep 3/4” socket and 24 inch extension ASAP!

Philip

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Other
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
My tower ( port side) makes a noise as well. Sounds like coming from pin area. Anyone have link to those Bushings ?

jacoviii

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Need 1 per tower side. So 2.... this fixed my tower.
F5V-U081L-00-00​
. BUSHING

ZGhost

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Just to bring this back to life, checked my ‘18 242x tower bolts today for the first time and all 6 nuts were barely hand tight. Get that deep 3/4” socket and 24 inch extension ASAP!
@Troch1 I have the same rattle, where do you get to those nuts from? Under the seat and behind seat back?

Troch1

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
@Troch1 I have the same rattle, where do you get to those nuts from? Under the seat and behind seat back?
yep, get into the under-seat storage area and look up on the starboard side. Three nuts per side, iirc. The port side was done blind (pain in the ass) as I didn’t remove the batteries, nor the divider for the ballast bag.

F.M.

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
You can also remove the speaker and go in thru there.