• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

252SE Taking on LOT'S of Water

Skyhawk223

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252S
Boat Length
Yes, I ordered from Amazon but apparently the supplier is in China.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length

paulthepilot

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Update for everyone,

We have tried everything. And i mean EVERYTHING!! Took off the back inspection cover over the clean out ports and checked for leaks. There we found that the scupper valve had a leak in it. So we took it out, ordered a new one and put that one in with the proper sealant.

-I will add pictures and a video later, but Yamaha cut the hole for the scupper valve about 1/4 inch too big. So at the factory they decided that a bunch of silicone would solve the problem (wrong) (Hopefully this doesn't void our hull warranty). Put it back in the water with high hopes. Wrong again, the boat was taking on water sitting at the dock.

-We filled up up the rear area up above the bearings that support the drive shafts and there were no leaks. Checked again out on the lake and nothing.

-Plugged up the common anchor hole in the front so no water would get in. Even if it was this, it would not explain the boat taking on water sitting at the dock.

-Now the depth finder is not working. It just blinks and bam, goes away. This is realllllll helpful when you try to take the boat up through the colorado river from lake havasu for anyone here that has done that. Where sections of the water are less then 2 feet. So the depth finder decided to kick the bucket right before getting to that section and then turned back on about 5 minutes after getting out of it. The depth finder is also sealed very well at the bottom and has no indications of leaks.

-The throttle synch that the "E" model is supposed to have, the little button on the screen for single lever control does not work. No matter what power setting, it will not turn on.

-One of the engines, not sure which one, has a very loud whining noise (like a whoop whoop) when spooling up from idle and accelerating. I thought this could have been from cavetation, but it was not. Tried accelerating from different power settings and it's always the same sound and very consistent. So I am starting to wonder if one of the engines was installed sideways from the factory.

-The bilge pump will now just turn itself off and show a red "bilge" symbol on the screen when turned on with the button. It will then come back a little later, but it has done it a few times now. This is really helpful when the boat is already taking on water and you now have no way of getting it out. We do carry a hand pump as a back up, but should we really be using that on a brand new $83,000 boat? I don't think so.

-And for the final one, the clock stops working most of the times. When going on the lake it will just show a single "0" on the screen instead of the time.

Needless to say we are beyond Pi$$ed off at Yamaha right now. This being our 3rd yamaha boat we were expecting more. I tried calling customer relations multiple times and they just don't care. They tell me they can only call the dealers and ask how long their wait times are. And right now, it is over 2 months to even see a dealer. By the time we can get the boat into service and back out, the summer will be over. Definitely should have kept our 242 that was bone dry had we known there were going to be so many issue's.

I hope this update helps a little for anyone going through the same thing. I will update once again I find anything out about this on going thing.

mrcleanr6

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
There are only so many holes in the boat. Not too many places where it can be getting in. You have checked the more common ones. Have you checked the transom plate? Yamaha started using a much better sealant than they used to but if there is a void somewhere then it will just leak non stop while sitting in the water.

For your single lever mode, you know you cant go into that unless both levers are in neutral?

not sure about your bilge pump issue or the noise your hearing from the engine. Could be nothing or could be something not right. Further inspection of both these issues is needed. Could just be a faulty pump and a quick swap is all thats needed.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
sucks to hear all that. Pictures of scupper leak would be helpful in my chase

Jroyal69

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Update for everyone,

We have tried everything. And i mean EVERYTHING!! Took off the back inspection cover over the clean out ports and checked for leaks. There we found that the scupper valve had a leak in it. So we took it out, ordered a new one and put that one in with the proper sealant.

-I will add pictures and a video later, but Yamaha cut the hole for the scupper valve about 1/4 inch too big. So at the factory they decided that a bunch of silicone would solve the problem (wrong) (Hopefully this doesn't void our hull warranty). Put it back in the water with high hopes. Wrong again, the boat was taking on water sitting at the dock.

-We filled up up the rear area up above the bearings that support the drive shafts and there were no leaks. Checked again out on the lake and nothing.

-Plugged up the common anchor hole in the front so no water would get in. Even if it was this, it would not explain the boat taking on water sitting at the dock.

-Now the depth finder is not working. It just blinks and bam, goes away. This is realllllll helpful when you try to take the boat up through the colorado river from lake havasu for anyone here that has done that. Where sections of the water are less then 2 feet. So the depth finder decided to kick the bucket right before getting to that section and then turned back on about 5 minutes after getting out of it. The depth finder is also sealed very well at the bottom and has no indications of leaks.

-The throttle synch that the "E" model is supposed to have, the little button on the screen for single lever control does not work. No matter what power setting, it will not turn on.

-One of the engines, not sure which one, has a very loud whining noise (like a whoop whoop) when spooling up from idle and accelerating. I thought this could have been from cavetation, but it was not. Tried accelerating from different power settings and it's always the same sound and very consistent. So I am starting to wonder if one of the engines was installed sideways from the factory.

-The bilge pump will now just turn itself off and show a red "bilge" symbol on the screen when turned on with the button. It will then come back a little later, but it has done it a few times now. This is really helpful when the boat is already taking on water and you now have no way of getting it out. We do carry a hand pump as a back up, but should we really be using that on a brand new $83,000 boat? I don't think so.

-And for the final one, the clock stops working most of the times. When going on the lake it will just show a single "0" on the screen instead of the time.

Needless to say we are beyond Pi$$ed off at Yamaha right now. This being our 3rd yamaha boat we were expecting more. I tried calling customer relations multiple times and they just don't care. They tell me they can only call the dealers and ask how long their wait times are. And right now, it is over 2 months to even see a dealer. By the time we can get the boat into service and back out, the summer will be over. Definitely should have kept our 242 that was bone dry had we known there were going to be so many issue's.

I hope this update helps a little for anyone going through the same thing. I will update once again I find anything out about this on going thing.
Finally got the Yamaha we’ve been eyeing for 10+ years, wish I had my Bayliner I sold to get it! Thank goodness we bought the 5 year warranty, I think we’re going to get our moneys worth.
So far, not the least bit happy with my purchase.

Maineiac

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Danrich I used a much easier , faster , and cheaper fix !! Don't remove anything. Go to Lowes and get the attached. It is 3/8 OD PVC like material. Cut off about a 4" piece and slide in the 3/8 ID factory "drain"from the outside. Then go into the anchor locker and apply 5200 liberally around the base where it comes thru the hull. Allow to cure the cut off flush on the inside. NO more water intrusion and total expense of under $3 (if you already had the 5200) ?
Do you have a picture of the completed fix? And did you also 5200 on both sides of the tube? I wonder if water could somehow get between the tube and fitting on the outside?

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Update for everyone,

Check to see if the bilge pump has debris stuck in its filter or impeller.

Is the water hot or cold? Have you gone through the leak finder thread?

Single lever control will only engage when both engines are in neutral.

The clock? Huh....mine doesn't have a clock....can't help you there!

Depth finder.....I know my 2005 wouldn't read below 3 feet....it would show dashes.

Maineiac

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Danrich I used a much easier , faster , and cheaper fix !! Don't remove anything. Go to Lowes and get the attached. It is 3/8 OD PVC like material. Cut off about a 4" piece and slide in the 3/8 ID factory "drain"from the outside. Then go into the anchor locker and apply 5200 liberally around the base where it comes thru the hull. Allow to cure the cut off flush on the inside. NO more water intrusion and total expense of under $3 (if you already had the 5200) ?
I did this fix. Put the tube in there and used 5200 on the inside. Hopefully this fixes it.

9B3F43F8-8568-4F4E-B58E-664B24205905.jpeg

WeDoParadise

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SD
Boat Length
I purchased my 252SD in November, took it out this spring and noticed my bilge ran quite a bit more than my 2018 242Limited. We finally ran water into the bilge area while parked on an incline and watched for leaks. Our depth finder isn’t sealed completely and leaking water. We’ll be fixing that before we hit the water again. I hope this helps you or other boaters.

WeDoParadise

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SD
Boat Length
Hey has anyone noticed on the new 252sd, when your pulling skier/wakeboarder/tube on take off a 2-3 sec cavitation problem on a motor? I have checked grate plates, clean out ports all the simple solutions. Any suggestions or input?
I know the 2018 242 limited performed better then the 252sd hull design. My top speed is running 36 on the same lake as my 242 limited was running at 42, but definitely love the new layout.

paulthepilot

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Hey has anyone noticed on the new 252sd, when your pulling skier/wakeboarder/tube on take off a 2-3 sec cavitation problem on a motor? I have checked grate plates, clean out ports all the simple solutions. Any suggestions or input?
I know the 2018 242 limited performed better then the 252sd hull design. My top speed is running 36 on the same lake as my 242 limited was running at 42, but definitely love the new layout.
Hey! sorry for the delay. Send me a message on here. They just took apart both our Jet Pumps and found both engines to have massive cavitation issue's. I am about to post a update on it here.

gfabry

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Paul, any update? Thanks

Last edited:

1969mach1

Reaction score
Boat Make
Crownline
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Hey! sorry for the delay. Send me a message on here. They just took apart both our Jet Pumps and found both engines to have massive cavitation issue's. I am about to post a update on it here.

Geez, I am seriously reconsidering my order. Thank god I have a cancel clause. We plan on wet slipping our boat at our vacation home. Sounds like maybe yamaha is not the right boat to wet slip.

195S

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
I bought a brand new YAMAHA 195S 2022 back September 2022, because i bought it at the end of the season so I only took it to the lake once just to break in the engine. Once the summer (2023) started I put it in the water, immediately the boat starts taking on water in between the haul and the floor of the boat. Once you open the ski lock compartment and take the plug out you can see the water almost making it to the ski lock compartment this is just putting on the water with one only one person in the boat. The boat starts then to tilting to the front and therefore the water never makes it the bilge pump in the back. Once I start putting passengers (more weight in the boat) the water actually start bursting into the ski lock to the point I have to put the plug back on. I took it to the dealer - Park Marine boat sales and service in Gainsville GA - and they insist there is nothing wrong with the boat despite multiple videos that show the serious condition the boat has since the water is taking the place of the space that provides buoyance to the boat therefore decreasing the floating capacity of the boat. I am very frustrated as I paid $52k less than a year ago and when I try to trade it in with the same company that sold it to me the told me it was worth only $33k. This is a brand new boat with only 15 hours so very frustrating with this situation. I bought an extended warranty for 5 years, any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.....

Last edited:

mrcleanr6

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
Its a $15 thru hull. Install it and be done. Can be fixed easily in about 10 min. Should they have done it the factory….absolutely but no need to get upset with such an easy fix. Its more trouble to take the boat to the dealer than just take care of it the right way yoursself

195S

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
Its a $15 thru hull. Install it and be done. Can be fixed easily in about 10 min. Should they have done it the factory….absolutely but no need to get upset with such an easy fix. Its more trouble to take the boat to the dealer than just take care of it the right way yoursself
HI, I am new to the site, so were you replying to me? and can you expand of where I can get more detailed information about the $15 suggested fix? Thanks

mrcleanr6

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
The anchor locker drain has been a common yamaha issue for years. Ripnout the olastic tube and install a proper thru-hull fitting. 3/8” is what you want. You can get it right in amazon