• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2nd bilge pump

MidnightRider

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Malibu
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
This is what I'm getting ready to install as an alarm and backup pump. It will sit just a bit higher than the OEM pump. Hopefully never needed but if the float ever gets lifted it will alarm at the dash and the backup pump will kick on at the same time. I really wanted this for the alarm but was thinking why not stick a pump on the same float as a backup - might as well.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The alarm above is pretty slick. I used a piezo alarm from Radio Shack and a 12v LED mounted to the dash.

Either works

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Hezi

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Rule 33ALA High Water Bilge Alarm is on order. This is an independent alarm float combination since my 2nd bilge has its own float. I know it'll be a snap to install. Thank you guys for pointing out how important this is. Indeed while underway without an alarm, the only way to know something is wrong, is when your engine/s are dead and it's too late.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Rule 33ALA High Water Bilge Alarm is on order. This is an independent alarm float combination since my 2nd bilge has its own float. I know it'll be a snap to install. Thank you guys for pointing out how important this is. Indeed while underway without an alarm, the only way to know something is wrong, is when your engine/s are dead and it's too late.
Damn. I'm thinking I need to do that.

That and a USCG approved bailing bucket! lol

--

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
A blue ikea bag makes an interesting bailer in an emergency. Learned fist hand!!! Bucket is very nice too

jb32566

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 ID
Boat Length
My bad!
Bad attempted humor.
:)
mine too. i should've gotten your joke.
investment opportunity! maybe if we spray them orange and write UCSG (spelling error is intentional) on them we can market them to the masses at a huge markup!

rkim808

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Aloha here’s my 2cents, I’m about to do the same mod because it is necessary. As far as placement of the secondary bilge IMO belongs in the transom/stern area. The OEM one in the engine compartment is way to far forward in the hull, by the time this pump kicks in there’s way to much water in the hull already. I also have a LS2000 and in that boat the OEM bilge is in the transom/stern area right in front the drain plug, and I installed the secondary bilge in the engine compartment. That compartment is completely sealed from the hull, I love that setup don’t know y Yamaha change it up over the years. So in my AR240 I’m putting the secondary bilge in the transom/stern area, but installing and alarm in the engine compartment next to the OEM bilge. Then I would be alerted when the water level at that point in the hull. I’m also considering closing up that half moon tunnel at the rear of the engine compartment, making the engine compartment semi-sealed up. I haven’t done this mod yet and I’ve been out with my AR240 on the open ocean in Hawaiian waters a few times. And I can hear a lot of water sloshing around in the hull while underway, by the time the OEM bilge pumps it out and then stops, there’s still a lot of water that remains. I personally don’t like hearing all that water sloshing around and I don’t want it in the boat, so that’s y IMHO the secondary bilge belongs in the transom/stern area well on the 24’ Yammies. This is just my 2cents.🤙🏽

Hezi

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
I really want to know what are you all talking about it terms of bilge location. @swatski link didn't work. How can I access the transom area? Picture would be great. I am not next to my boat to explore. How do you reach the inside of the transom below the motors???

the MfM

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Might as well add a third pump while you’re in there.

rkim808

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I really want to know what are you all talking about it terms of bilge location. @swatski link didn't work. How can I access the transom area? Picture would be great. I am not next to my boat to explore. How do you reach the inside of the transom below the motors???
From on ur back transom deck where the cleanout ports are. Remove the screws and pull that top cover off exposing ur exhaust and rear compartment of the hull. This area is the ideal spot for a bilge pump IMO. This is where water will accumulate first.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have 3 pumps total. It's not that much difference between the two locations. I thought it would be a bigger difference, but depending on boat position and speed either one can finish last between the engine bay and very rear of the boat on my sx230

Hezi

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Might as well add a third pump while you’re in there.
And drill few holes in the hull to get a return on my investment?

Last edited:

Hezi

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
From on ur back transom deck where the cleanout ports are. Remove the screws and pull that top cover off exposing ur exhaust and rear compartment of the hull. This area is the ideal spot for a bilge pump IMO. This is where water will accumulate first.
ahhh, one area of the boat I didn't explore yet. Good to know for anyone doing a fresh install.

MidnightRider

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Malibu
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
I have 3 pumps total. It's not that much difference between the two locations. I thought it would be a bigger difference, but depending on boat position and speed either one can finish last between the engine bay and very rear of the boat on my sx230
Yeah this is what I have found too. I always read how there is so much more water in the rear bilge area than in the engine bay but depending on the attitude of the boat I have not found this to be true. When accelerating this would obviously be true but when the boat is at rest I've found that there is more water in the front of the boat than the rear - the rear actually has the least amount of water in it when at rest than the rest of the boat. Someone recently commented that they had a pump in the engine bay and in the rear bilge - they only ever saw the engine bay pump come on (granted that could be because they didn't notice water being pumped while under way). The engine bay is actually a pretty good mid way point for the water depth when the boat is at rest. I can see the argument for the pump in the rear bilge though from the perspective of all the water going back there on acceleration though.