• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

3d printers? Anyone with experience?

steined

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Does anyone have experience with any of them? My business partner and I are considering a MakerBot Replicator 2. It seems to have a good sized build volume. Speed isn't that important to us as we aren't likely to use it for anything production, but resolution, ease of use, and reliability are important.

Thanks in advance.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I think @justason works with one, we'll wait for him to chime in,

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

davel501

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Played with one at a Microsoft store. It had made some cool stuff but somebody browsing the store had messed with it and thrown it off level so all it made when they tried to demo it for us was a mess. The "ink" refills are quite expensive and there is 1 for each color but they seem to last quite a while. The wife really wants one (and me too) but we really have no practical need around the house.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Someone... made me a knock off throttle linky thing. Just snaps the two throttles together.

davel501

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Someone... made me a knock off throttle linky thing. Just snaps the two throttles together.
Any chance you have the drawing? I could run back to the store and have them demo it for me. :)

justason

Jetboaters Admiral
SWAG Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
@Speedling someone?..ouch, then again I was under a different username when I sent you that (ten75k)....have you used it yet?

@steined I have a running thread on things I've made https://jetboaters.net/threads/3d-printed-parts.605/#post-6591

I'll comment on plastics vs metal base on the Makerbot starting point.
your options out there are becoming limitless fast. It all comes down to cost vs quality of course. Top of the food chain is SLA parts..big money awesome outcome. down from that come your laser based or liquid printers, then you head into the FDM area (fused deposition material), which is the most common and easiest.(makerbot is FDM, basically melts a plastic line and places it/cools quickly)
In the FDM arena it comes down to strength and the "overhead" to support speed and complexity. Most FDM machines use an ABS plastic, easy, affordable but offers little in the strength department. Polycarbonates are stronger, we are just now looking into getting one of these. In the link above those parts are built at a .007 resolution with ABS, "ok" for flat surfaces, the blender cover is sloped so you can see the steps in it.

Makerbot: I know a few people that own them and like them very much. The one you are looking at has a a 9x6 plate. That is excellent, X/Y will be used more than Z in almost every application. 100 microns is excellent (.0039) about 2x better than what I'm showing in that link. for conumer products You are definitely in the right area, and the prices are dropping fast. 3d systems now competes in this space....I don't know what your end product will be, this will probably do most everything you want, just keep strength in mind.

I believe these type machines print straight to the part. Meaning it does not utilize support material, its easier to manage but would slow things down. Support material is a lesser plastic used to support features in a print like overhangs or hollows so the machine can print more above it. We need to bathe our prints in a LYE solution to dissolve the support material. no big deal but a pain to maintain the tank and takes couple hours.

you have a design tool? ProE, solidworks? etc?. sites like Grabcad allow you to download and modify files. typical file export is STL. Use of these printers are easier than you can imagine....the software is self-aware ;)

In other news: my company is about to buy a 3d handheld scanner !! I'm going to scan my families heads and make a chess set !! and bobble-heads !!. I saw a family Foosball table recently...awesome !!

good luck......you wont be sorry, the things are wicked cool !! and a great exposure to kids for creativity

Last edited:

steined

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Thanks for your thoughts! We build some devices that go in the field and often times we need some one off parts for particular situations. I'm sure a mini cnc could do what we need 90% of the time, but we were both intrigued by 3d printers and the prices are sub $2k now on those.

justason

Jetboaters Admiral
SWAG Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
it will serve you well.....for a business it short money. I had some parts come in out of tolerance 2 weeks ago. 2 circuit boards did not fully engage. Took me about 5 mins to design up a bushing, an hour to print it, re-assemble....everything worked. Without this machine it would have been a 1 week process to get a shop to rework the assemblies......

davel501

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Would it really work for use in the field? The impression that I got was that the printers needed to be absolutely level and on a stable surface. That said, most Courtyards have enough counter / desk space to set one of those up and let it run overnight.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
@justason Heck yeah man, it's great! It wasn't a TIGHT fit, but I put a little rubber flashing that I had at our shop and it fits nice and snug. My throttles aren't necessarily perfectly aligned, but I have them synced up at top rpm for obvious reasons. But yeah, thanks so much again!
How long does some of this stuff take to print up though? I don't know if it's a in the field type of machine? And why did I not get an alert to this when you @'d my name? Offtopic stuff doesn't seem to show.... I'll check my settings.

steined

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Would it really work for use in the field? The impression that I got was that the printers needed to be absolutely level and on a stable surface. That said, most Courtyards have enough counter / desk space to set one of those up and let it run overnight.
I should clarify, the parts go in the field, I'm in the office :) For the one-off situations where we need to test a new configuration or something, it would be immensely helpful for those situations.

For example we are testing our product with Beagle bones vs our standard embeded system, so I'd love to make a mounting board for the beagle bone and sensors and modem... Sure I could do that with a CNC machine, but I am trying to justify a 3d printer :p

justason

Jetboaters Admiral
SWAG Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
@justason Heck yeah man, it's great! It wasn't a TIGHT fit, but I put a little rubber flashing that I had at our shop and it fits nice and snug. My throttles aren't necessarily perfectly aligned, but I have them synced up at top rpm for obvious reasons. But yeah, thanks so much again!
How long does some of this stuff take to print up though? I don't know if it's a in the field type of machine? And why did I not get an alert to this when you @'d my name? Offtopic stuff doesn't seem to show.... I'll check my settings.
Hey Speedling. Yes, loose fit was to ease removal, I added fabric gasket to mine that worked like a champ..
I think it is too lose but lost my original design file and never got back to it. that handle took about 4 hours to print.
Alerts: Mine seem to be hit/miss as well.