• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Adding Speakers

Monterro

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So I am finally tired of having to turn up the volume on the radio to hear music on my swim platform while busting the eardrums of the people inside the boat.

I am looking to add 2 6x9's behind the cushions. I am looking at possibly the JL MS9520 or the Polk DB691 since thats the brand I have inside the boat and I am completely satisfied with them. Anyone have experience with either one of them?

I currently have the Fusion IP600 for my HU with 4 Polk DB651. I am planning on running all my speakers directly of the Fusion with no external amp. The HU has 3 zones and currently my front speakers are hooked to one and the rear speakers hooked up to zone 2. Zone 3 has RCA line outs. Should I but some kind of connectors to hook up my new speakers to zone 3 or should I combine my front and rear speakers to zone 1 and swim platform speakers to zone 3? I definitely want to be able to control the swim speakers separately from the ones inside the boat.

Thanks in advance as I do not have any experience with hooking up speakers. Any additional tips going this route is welcomed.

Last edited:

Bill D

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length

OperationROL

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
How you zone it will determine your ability to control the speakers. If you want to control the front, back and swimdeck speakers seperately, use all 3 zones. As a matter of fact, if you do not have any other speakers to consider, you might as well take advantage of all of the zones. Also, if you are going through this trouble to add the speakers, you might as well get an amp. There are small inexpensive amps out there that are simple to wire and will enhance your sound and thus your time on the swimdeck. The amp will make the music sound when you turn it up. If you don't want to spend much money, Pyle makes a few that are under $45. Any amp is better than no amp.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
You won't be able to use zone 3 without an amp as it is a preamp output. So I'd buy a small amp and run the swim speakers through that (as the simplest approach).

The next step would be buying a bigger amp and rewiring more speakers...

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
The other approach if you don't listen to loud music would be to tap the swim deck speakers into the rear cabin speakers....but they'd be splitting their power in half....would still work....but depends on your listening volume desires.

Since you'll be passing the batteries on the way to the swim deck, adding the small amp would be easy.

OperationROL

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
You won't be able to use zone 3 without an amp as it is a preamp output. So I'd buy a small amp and run the swim speakers through that (as the simplest approach).

The next step would be buying a bigger amp and rewiring more speakers...
Since Zone 3 is a pre amp out as @Julian said, I strongly suggest going with a small amp.

Monterro

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks for the info. I guess I will be buying an amp. Seems like that's the easiest approach for adding the speakers. Will I still have the ability to control my zones via the Fusion radio or will I now have to control them via the amp? Also adding an amp I assume will give me the ability to add additional speakers in the future. Should I look for an marine amp or will any amp do? I do boat primarily in salt water but the amp will be tucked under seat somewhere. My price range will probably be $100-$150 for the amp. Any recommendations?

2nazt

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tidewater
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I'd have to search but @Andy S has a write up to do swim deck speakers with SPDT switch to shut off the bow speakers and run swim deck and then shut off swim deck while underway so no wasted power going there for no reason. I'll try to find the link unless someone beats me to it. Saves you money on an Amp. I usually have no in the bow if we are on the swim deck so this is okay for me

Edited for link.
https://jetboaters.net/threads/6-speakers-and-no-amp.1004/#post-13586

Monterro

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I'd have to search but @Andy S has a write up to do swim deck speakers with SPDT switch to shut off the bow speakers and run swim deck and then shut off swim deck while underway so no wasted power going there for no reason. I'll try to find the link unless someone beats me to it. Saves you money on an Amp. I usually have no in the bow if we are on the swim deck so this is okay for me
I did see his that thread but I would like the ability to run all 6 speakers at once. Most of the time we probably would turn off the front speakers while on the swim deck , but I prefer the flexibility being able to run all at once also. I was hoping to be able to run all 6 just off the radio but I am now learning that I would need an amp in order to do so.

2nazt

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tidewater
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I plan on adding extra cabin speakers and running those off an amp on zone 3 since I have a fusion as well. I will then wire swim deck to zone 2 and leave bow on zone 1. I find that it would be better to power the cabin speakers since they are used all the time and to get more performance out of them. Just giving ideas and options.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
So chosing an amp you will want to decide what you might do in the future. Might you add a sub woofer or two more speakers? So your choices are:
  1. 2 channel amp
  2. 3 channel amp (subwoofer and 2 speakers)
  3. 4 channel amp (2 pairs of speakers)
  4. 5 channel amp (2 pairs and sub)
If you are in salt...I'd go with marine amp. Lots of choices out there....

Monterro

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I am trying to get everything installed before Memorial Day and it looks like a good 4 channel marine amp with run me about $400+. Not trying to spend that much now. Would this small Fusion amp work to power 2 6x9s. http://www.amazon.com/Fusion-MS-AM702-Channel-Compact-Amplifier/dp/B0026K9CCY/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1463596214&sr=8-2&keywords=fusion+amp

I probably will upgrade to a better set up later on with some additional cabin speakers. After purchasing SeaDek, Perfect Pass, Cobras, Dual Batteries I am trying to save where I can.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

jlcj7

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Jim Robeson

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I went the easy route and just mounted my behind the swim deck cushions. The sound is great and I just use the fade on my stereo to send more sound to the rear if needed. I also installed a small amp to the entire system. You can see some of the install here: https://jetboaters.net/threads/been-thinking-again.3214/page-2

Monterro

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks for the recommendations. I just ordered the Clarion Amp. Just to make sure I have everything needed for install. I will need:

2 Polk DB691
Clarion Amp XC1410
Speaker Wire (Oxygen Free) - Speaker to Amp
RCA Cables (Oxygen Free) - Connect Amp to HU
Power Wires - Should I mount it close to battery so I can decrease the length of the power wire or should I mount it closer to the HU. I was thinking of mounting it close to the battery compartment and buying long RCA. Also what gauge. Seems like the amp comes with 14-16 gauge. I seen people recommend 4 gauge. How to do I about stepping that up?

Anything else I should need? I think this covers everything needed for the install. I already have connectors and hole saw to cut thru fiberglass.

Last edited:

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Most mount inside the helm or passenger side compartment, and just install a fuse as close to the battery as you can.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length