• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Almost sunk my boat... Happy to be here :-)

cwoav8r

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Long read... sorry... but if it can save one boat, or even a life, it's worth the read.

When I first thought about purchasing my boat, and for some time after I was very active on the forums. At some point years ago, other commitments took over, things went a different direction, and I lost touch with this great community. I’m back… here… and happy to see friendly faces.

I have never had a second thought about our decision to buy our 2008 AR230 and have been very happy with durability, fit, and finish... in the saltwater environment that it lives, it has never let me down, until this past weekend... and at one point I was scared that we would lose it. I can only think that had I kept up with the jet boater community, I could have avoided a very stressful day.

In 2012, I made the decision to move the boat to dry storage at a local marina for convenience. They are great at recovering the boat and flushing the engine, and I always rinse the inside and engine compartment when I get back to the dock and apply some corrosion preventative. The one thing that I have not kept up with is everything under the clean-out tray... something that I don't know would have been much different had I trailered the boat back to the house as I did before I moved to the marina.

This past weekend we were on the way back from a day at the beach running about 7700 rpm for about five minutes... I pulled the throttles back to idle entering a no wake zone and both engines quit. I immediately tried to restart and they would both turn over but not fire. After about two minutes they both started, so I turned away from the no wake zone and advanced to full throttle. Both engines only went to about 8500 rpm and over the course of 20 seconds dropped back to 1500 rpm and then stopped. I was shocked when I opened the engine compartment and found it flooded... water was up over the oil filters, and a check of the ski locker showed that it was over half flooded… I could hear water flooding into the boat in the area of the stern, but I could not tell from where… and the bilge pump was not running.

Problem #1:

The OEM bilge pump had failed six months prior and I replaced it with a Rule 750gpm using the existing wiring. When I tested the replacement, it was working fine. I had already bypassed the bilge pump switch and connected it directly to the circuit breaker at the helm so that it was always on when the battery switch was on. At the time I was not aware that the circuit breaker was faulty (intermittent) and that was the reason that OEM pump had not been not working.

My first action was to call a friend who was close by and let him know that I was taking on water and that I had no engine power. He dropped everything to get to us.

I turned my attention to the bilge pump and after some jiggling of the spade connectors and pushing the button (not tripped) on the circuit breaker the bilge pump came alive. This is the third circuit breaker I have had to replace over the life of the boat. I do not believe the OEM breakers are of the best quality and my failure to properly diagnose the original bilge pump issue could have cost us our boat... this is in my opinion the most important circuit on the boat and I will replace it with the highest quality breaker no matter the cost.

Problem #2:

Where was the water coming from? My first instinct was that the scupper had finally failed. My intent was to replace it with the Attwood stainless steel scupper, but I just put it off. That scenario did not really explain the sound if incoming water that I could hear. The bilge pump did not seem to be making any progress on the incoming water, but my friend arrived and he got us under tow. The tow took a little over an hour and it was pouring rain the entire time. (picture a cow and a flat rock)

My greatest fear was that the bilge pump would not keep up (the falling rain making it worse), and that the batteries would not last for the trip home. Along with the pump, I bailed by hand making some progress, and when I had determined that the water level was below the oil pan (about 20 minutes later) I cranked both engines and activated the no wake mode to keep the batteries as charged as possible for the ride home.

The engines would only run for about five minutes and then die. After a few minutes, they would start again... repeat. I noticed on the trip home, that there was a very strong odor of exhaust fumes when I would open the doors to the head and in front of the helm, or when I removed any of the rear cushions. I also noticed that the water in the bilge was warm.

By the time we arrived at the marina all water that the bilge pump could extract had been removed. I docked the boat under its own power and there was no indication of incoming water. The marina staff was unable to immediately recover the boat with the forklift because of heavy lightning in the area. I would not have had my a$$ on a forklift either... no boat, whatever the cost is worth a human life. The wife and I were cold, wet, and grateful to have made it home. If the boat were to succumb to the sea, at least the recovery would be simple... and insurance would take care of the rest.

The diagnosis:

When I arrived home the first thing I did was to fire up the computer and come back to where I knew I could find the answers to what had happened. After less than an hour of research drawing from the experience of this community, I had a very definitive idea of what I needed to look for. The marina put the boat on a work rack the next day so that I could troubleshoot what had happened. I installed the main drain plug and filled the boat with fresh water to search for a leak... this is what I found...

I quick look through the inspection panels in the clean-out tray immediately revealed the problem. The hose clamps on the muffler water box to exhaust output (elbow) on the port side were missing and the hose was completely disconnected allowing water to pump into the boat at high power settings… practically a four-inch hole in the hull. This explained the water in the engine compartment and exhaust fumes... After removing the clean-out tray cover I found over half of all the hose clamps in this compartment either missing or at the point of failure due to corrosion.

Folks… when this happens, the boat fills up quickly. If it took a 750gpm pump almost an hour to evacuate the water… I think we can all do the math and figure out how much water must have been in the boat.

The sound of incoming water I initially heard was because, at the time, there was enough water in the boat that the top of the bulkhead-mounted exhaust fitting (elbow) was below the water line and water was flooding in. We were dead in the water for almost 10 minutes at that point. Had I not been able to get the bilge pump running, along with the manual bailing, I am sure I would have lost the boat.

Filling the boat with fresh water also proved that the OEM plastic scupper was cracked and leaking. Yep, I put it off, and even though it was not the direct cause of the massive water intrusion, it was destined to become a 1 ½ -inch hole in the hull of the boat.

Oh yea… I found this screw under the scupper when I removed it. No idea where it came from and I can’t find one like it in the parts manual… if anyone can identify it please let me know.

Both engines start and sound to be running fine when attached to a fresh water supply. There is no evidence of water intrusion into the engine oil system so far. After replacement of all the hose clamps I will coat them with T9 before sealing up the clean out tray. When I complete repairs this weekend including an oil change and greasing of the gearbox, I will head out for a shakedown cruise and will know more about any further damage.

Lessons learned:

No matter what, the bilge pump is the most important system in your boat. Make sure that it is working properly. If possible, add a second pump or at least a bilge alarm… I am really kicking myself over this one. I almost elected to return home via the Gulf instead of the inter coastal waterway. Instead of a five minute run to the first no-wake zone, I would have been a 15 minute ride, oblivious to the fact that the boat was filling with water. The water level at that point may have been too much to overcome.

If you have a boat with a plastic scupper, inspect regularly… and replace as needed, preferably with bronze or stainless.

Inspect, at least annually, all the hose clamps on your boat. Two corroded $4 clamps almost sunk mine… I dropped my guard with respect to preventative maintenance because everything always worked, and I never considered the importance of the clamps under the clean out tray. Something I would have paid more attention to had I kept up with the forums, and something that I will never ignore again.

Good friends are invaluable! Have them, and be one yourself… the jet boat community is one of the greatest groups of people I have ever known... you all have taught me so much and I hope that from my experiences you can learn something as well.

Here is the scariest part of the entire day… remember the exhaust fumes? When I finally got the engines restarted under tow, the last I saw of my wife was up in the bow with a towel over her trying to shelter herself from the rain. At the time, I was bailing like a mad man… about 20 minutes later I turned to check on her, and she was gone. That panicked me for a moment until I realized that she had retreated to the head for shelter, and when I opened the door, she instantly complained of a headache. I pulled her out immediately recognizing the threat of carbon monoxide poisoning… I do not even want to think what could have happened if I had not taken a moment to check on her.

Take what you can from my experience, as embarrassed as I am to have to share it…

Sorry again for the novel length post…

Happy to be back,

Ed

Attachments

• 20140602_163940.jpg
    20140602_163940.jpg
    249.2 KB · Views: 33
  • 20140602_163940.jpg
    20140602_163940.jpg
    249.2 KB · Views: 25
Thanks for posting this Ed! We all have learned from this and are so happy you and the Mrs. made it home safely.

Glad you made it over here to the self proclaimed Authority on Yamaha jet boats!!

Wow Ed! Close call! Glad you got things back in order. And you've made some great points some may have never thought of. I too found a house clamp in the bottom of my bilge during a casual inspection. Came off a different hose, but still unsettling. I've bought more SS clamps to replace the remaining ones.

I read every word and it was worth it. Thanks for the post, glad everything worked out!

First and foremost, I am very glad you and your wife are ok, that had to be an extremely scary situation, thank you for sharing not only the story but also the pics of the faulty clamps, we can all learn from your situation, I know I tend to take things for granted sometimes because "they always work" I'm sure a lot of us do. Thank you again for sharing.

Reactions: 007
Ed, thank you for taking the time to share your story. And so happy to hear that both you and your wife are ok! The boat, as you said, is insured, but also glad to read that it too is ok! I am sure many will read this and be awakened to what can happen when your complacent. And not to say that you were, but many will not have ever looked into the clean out tray compartment and inspected those very important clamps. I bought a new boat since last we conversed on the forum, a two year old leftover. And I notice that the engine compartment hose clamps are rusting already with 2.8 hours on the meters. So I will be replacing all of them with SS...and your story will get the job done sooner, rather than later. Again, thanks for sharing this story, and so glad to be reading your words instead of about your boat or you.

Great write up! Great lessons to be learned from your experience - thanks for sharing! I tested my bilge and bilge alarm at the beginning of the season....but I do need to replace that scupper!

Thanks for the novel. It is important that we teach each other and let everyone learn for our mis or almost mis-fortunes. I am glad that you posted that. The rusty hose clamps must be a salt water thing. Mine are still pristine and shiny although I do inspect them once a year. Thanks. Cam.

Ed,
Glad everyone is Ok and that the boat will be fine. Your experience and sharing of it can, and will, prevent someone else from having the same experience. Thanks for sharing.

Off topic, Welcome to Jetboaters.net. There are many fine people here with experiences to share. Looks like we just gained another one.

Ed, thank you for taking the time to share your story. And so happy to hear that both you and your wife are ok! The boat, as you said, is insured, but also glad to read that it too is ok! I am sure many will read this and be awakened to what can happen when your complacent. And not to say that you were, but many will not have ever looked into the clean out tray compartment and inspected those very important clamps. I bought a new boat since last we conversed on the forum, a two year old leftover. And I notice that the engine compartment hose clamps are rusting already with 2.8 hours on the meters. So I will be replacing all of them with SS...and your story will get the job done sooner, rather than later. Again, thanks for sharing this story, and so glad to be reading your words instead of about your boat or you.

Thanks Mel... very happy to be back with you guys!

Gotcha! I was looking to get in over there but we decided saving money for private schooling was a better idea. Thanks Collier County Schools!!! Lol.

Glad you made it over...spread the word if you know anyone else over there!

Glad to hear everything is ok and thanks for sharing your experience, it definitely helps give people trouble shooting ability if they face a similar situation,

Great write up! Great lessons to be learned from your experience - thanks for sharing! I tested my bilge and bilge alarm at the beginning of the season....but I do need to replace that scupper!

Hey Julian... long time no see... happy to be here with you guys!

Ed, I knew you were missing as well as some of the other aviators, but we haven't been able to get them to come on over. It may be similar, that they just got to doing their own thing and with the turmoil over there, just drifted away. We promise, that we intend to make sure that the jet boat community has a voice and a place to help all jet boaters! We are glad your still good to go Ed, and welcome to jetboaters.net!

Man... I really need to make my sig pic smaller... ha ha. I'll work on that tomorrow ;). Thanks all... nice to have such a welcome home...

Ed

Geezus! Close call.. Good message, Thanks for sharing
Glad your all safe.

The posting pics thing here is WAY easier! You won't have any trouble editing it for use here...you can even edit it here! Yeah, @Julian would be after you on that one! lol We are all having so much fun being apart of our community here...months go by before we notice that maybe this pic is too big or that subject line doesn't make sense. Thank goodness members help with all of that! You will find this forum to be much more user friendly as well as some of the old stuff from before just gone. As we said when we started...it is OF THE MEMBER, BY THE MEMBER, FOR THE MEMBER! Be sure to check out the swag forum...we got logos and did you notice when you added your location to your profile, you were automatically added to the member map!!! Really glad to see you here man.

Glad you made it in safely. What a story! Thanks for sharing!

Back