• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

amount of fuel left when low fuel light comes on

Evil Sports

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Does anyone know how much fuel is actually left when the warning starts flashing on newer models

Zarrella

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Ummmm.....not enough??...lol

Evil Sports

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Yeah that's not gonna help. It goes up to 1/4 when on plain

BoaterGuy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I think I had 10 gallons left when mine came on.

dan144k

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The other day I was just below half a tank and filled up worth 40 gallons, boat only holds 50.
So I now worry more when I hit 1/4 tank about fuel seriously.

MNdrifter

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
My gauge always says I have more fuel than I really do.
I've been tracking it for a couple months.
I'm hoping that there will be a way to adjust the sender.

Gallons it took to top off. What the gauge read at the time.
Gallons Gauge
13.9 7/8
15.7 3/4
19.2 3/4
20.4 5/8
23.6 5/8
27.9 5/8
23.1 5/8
33 1/2
33.5 1/2
30.6 1/2
28.24 1/2

Last edited:

Glassman

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
have two accurate readings on mine.

Empty and Full.

Anything in between is a guessing game. I was showing between a half and 3/4 the other day and when I filled it up, the pump maxed out at $99.65 and I got 28.3 gallons and it wasn't full and I was too lazy to re-insert the card and start over. So it was obviously under a half then. But after all these years I figured it was - that's why I was at the gas station. :D

I had plenty for the next day - that's all that matters. I learned long ago to gas the boat depending on the day's planned activities. And if there were no planned activities, better fill it to the top. Never know. :cool:

But, to answer your question, I "Think" I have about 10 gallons or so when that light comes on based on past experience.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
And depending on whether you have pure gas or ethanol or some blend in between, your guage will read differently. The newer model boats (not idea what year they got this) have a sender that auto resets when it is at the full mark, so it knows the capacitance of that tank - this should help the reading. This thread gets into the gory details:

https://jetboaters.net/threads/fuel-gauge-calibration.2151

I plan to replace my old sender with an auto reset one this winter....(hopefully). I just need to find the length of the sender.....

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I'm not sure either but I generally don't get concerned until it comes on and stays on v. just blinking on and off when I accelerate or decelerate. I've also found it helpful to use the rule of 3rds or 4ths. 1/3 to 1/4 of a tank to get to where I'm going, another to play around and one more to get back. Then top off on the way home or on the way out for the next trip.

spaz1868

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Has anyone actually ever run out of gas? I've learned from various boats/waverunners including our AR210 that the gas gauge is more of an estimate than reality. I usually just gas up for the days activities plus some extra so I know I have contingency fuel. Now someone who's run out of gas before might have feedback on how long/far it took between the warning and running out of gas. Luckily, I have never run out of gas (knock on wood) so my method is working.

BoaterGuy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I'll tell you what, I'm pretty darn close. The gauge level doesnt move on/off plane and I can barely see a bar on the fuel level.

Nathan Bryant

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I had a the same question when I first purchased our boat. The gauge is not very consistent from year to year or model to model. I had a scar and nearly ran out of fuel. Ever since, I only monitor the "gallons used" function and reset with every fill up. This function is pretty close every time for me.

Mike

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
There's a warning light that comes on?? I never trust the gauge either. I always go by gallons used just to be sure.

Zeus2013

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Enough to start heading back to refuel and teasing you to think you have enough to make it their...

Big Shasta

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
And depending on whether you have pure gas or ethanol or some blend in between, your guage will read differently. The newer model boats (not idea what year they got this) have a sender that auto resets when it is at the full mark, so it knows the capacitance of that tank - this should help the reading. This thread gets into the gory details:

https://jetboaters.net/threads/fuel-gauge-calibration.2151

I plan to replace my old sender with an auto reset one this winter....(hopefully). I just need to find the length of the sender.....
Well crap...You mean there is something better I should have bought instead of just a replacement oem sender? I adjusted mine to try and get it more accurate and it got real intermittent....flicking from full to 1/4 tank. So I just bought another sender and haven't installed it yet. Sucks that I should have bought a better one.

TechRider

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Regal
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
7 gallons on mine. I thought I was going to run out waiting in line at the lake. Only took 43 gallons to fill up so 7 for me.

cane.mba

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
We were out for the day month or so ago and ran into my first fuel challenge. We had been tubing/skiing a lot and I hadn't paid attention to the gauge. Well by the time the low fuel light came on, all the fuel docks were closed. I actually had one engine cut off about 20 yards from my dock, and we were able to coast in. Thankfully I was lined up, and didn't have to maneuver to get into place. So with the addition of two new 5 gallon containers, I was able to put 15 gallons in, and make it to the fuel dock the next morning.

It's amazing how quickly gas disappears tubing/skiing with a bunch of people on board...

pagekl

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Was out two weeks ago and I looked at my gauges and the alarm for low fuel was flashing. It never made an audible sound which I was surprised about having to check that something is not turned off. Anyway, I started getting that "o shit" feeling and saw a marina that I cruised over to and low and behold, they closed at moment I was pulling up. Now "o shit" meter was starting to rise. Jetted over to another marina close by and got gas which was a relief. Just as I was pulling the nozzle from the boat, the chain holding the gas cap snapped. No big deal, plastic gas cap, it floats right? Wrong, it sank like a rock and had to order a new one that came last week. Lesson learned not to let boat go below a quarter tank.