• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Anchor locker leaks in models with current hull

MrMoose

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I thought that it would be helpful to toss this out in it's own thread. The subject has been addressed in other model-specific threads, but I feel that it's big enough that anybody with a current hull design (not previous gens) has this problem.
My anchor locker drain is allowing water to leak in between my inner and outer hull.
I initially thought that the problem was that the "drain assembly" was missing a part, the inner flange. The drain assembly part number is F2D-U2290-00-00. My local dealer ordered me one and I went to pick it up today. I expected it to be two pieces (outer flange and inner flange). It was just one piece, the outer flange, which is exactly what my '15 AR240 came with. While at the dealership, I checked a new AR210, 190FSH, and 242XE, all brand new, just received. Their anchor locker drains were all like mine.
The fitting does not seal to the inner hull in the anchor locker. It's a little on the short side. It's a minor leak, and it's an easy fix.
I'm going to seal mine up with 3M 5200, on the inner and outer surfaces.
Here's a pic of what my anchor locker drain looks like:
upload_2017-1-31_12-42-9.png

Here's a pic from the brand new 242EX that I looked at today:
upload_2017-1-31_12-43-25.png

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I concur that this should be added to the faqs section. Can't believe that bottom photo is of a brand new boat. Yamaha needs to wake up as Chapparal, Scarab, and Glastron are producing units with superior fit and finish. Silly mistakes with through hull fittings are the work of well only Yamaha that I know of :(

MrMoose

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Look at the bright side @Mainah, at least the word will get out and folks can remedy the situation. I agree that the photo of that brand new 242xe looks pretty rough. The service manager at my dealership jumped on this right away and contacted his regional rep to come and look at the new boats that he has in stock. I assume that he'll be looking for approval to repair them before selling them.
I think that previous gen 24 footers used the same part number for the locker drain fitting. I wonder if the distance that the drain fitting has to travel is greater on the newer models because @Ilmmct's 2013 242 LS has a drain that has the same part number, yet it protrudes into the anchor locker and appears to be properly sealed.
upload_2017-1-31_16-29-13.png

It would be good for folks to tag members who have new model hulls so that they can fix this. For example, if we know anybody who has a 2015 or newer 24 footer, like @Glen @swatski @Majorsmackdown, @Julian , @1948Isaac, @Kevin Sargent , @shane hric , we should let them know that they should take a look and seal things up. The same thing goes for anybody who owns a 190FSH or the newer hull models of the 19 and 21 footers.
It's not a major leak that will sink the boat, but it's an easy fix.
Just to be crystal clear, the part number that is used on the current models for the anchor drain is referred to as an assembly, BUT it is only comprised of a single hull fitting that goes on the outer hull. THERE IS NO INNER FLANGE IN THE CURRENT DESIGN, so everybody should have this problem.

Glen

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Jeff L

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Here are some before & after pics of my new toy. My dealer sealed up the area before I take her home. I hope it works. He said he used a marine caulk.

Attachments

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Gonna look in mine this weekend to make sure

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Wow, that is reduculous!

MrMoose

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So I got into my repair today. Because of the great video that @OUT ON THE REEF made of this repair on his 190FSH, I decided to pop out my drain fitting, clean things up, and make sure that everything was well sealed. For once, I had a good surprise. There was no gap between the inner and outer hulls. It seems like the area is solid, and there was no indication that anything had delaminated. This pic is from the outside looking in with the fitting removed:
upload_2017-1-31_19-0-31.png

So, I doubt that this would have been a source of water ingress.
I cleaned up the old fitting and used a piece of tubing to help keep the 3M5200 from plugging up the drain hole. I'll yank the tubing out tomorrow morning once the 5200 has firmed up.
upload_2017-1-31_19-3-11.png
Here's a pic just before applying the 5200:
upload_2017-1-31_19-4-48.png
Here's a pic from the inside after I gooped a bunch of 5200 around the fitting:
upload_2017-1-31_19-5-29.png

So, the one thing that is different between my situation and @OUT ON THE REEF's is that on his boat, there was a void between the inner and outer hulls that he had to fill. I wonder if this is supposed to be that way on the FSH, or whether the factory missed putting some filler board in that area. If anybody with a FSH pops their drain fitting and finds that the inside looks like my pic, then @OUT ON THE REEF might want to look into things further.

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Those of you that have new 2017 21 foot boats are going to have to address this. @Brian eilrich is having Yamaha repair his 212X.
Thanks @MrMoose for bringing this to everyone's attention.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

fraserjr

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I probably won't be able to check mine until I can find a warm enough day to take both covers off but I will certainly address it before we hit the water in the spring. @MrMoose Thanks for pointing this out and @Mainah for bringing it to my attention.

MrMoose

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I can say that Yamaha was aware of this problem....so newer boats might actually be constructed differently......
When would you expect these newer boats to hit the dealerships @Julian? The 242xe that I took the pic of today had just arrived at the dealer, they were in the process of getting it unpacked/setup.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
When would you expect these newer boats to hit the dealerships @Julian? The 242xe that I took the pic of today had just arrived at the dealer, they were in the process of getting it unpacked/setup.
Impossible for me to say. I have no idea when they started inspecting them more carefully, and they have a big lot full of boats....when they ship them to dealers may also not be FIFO (first in first out). So check your boat....

OUT ON THE REEF

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
So I got into my repair today. Because of the great video that @OUT ON THE REEF made of this repair on his 190FSH, I decided to pop out my drain fitting, clean things up, and make sure that everything was well sealed. For once, I had a good surprise. There was no gap between the inner and outer hulls. It seems like the area is solid, and there was no indication that anything had delaminated. This pic is from the outside looking in with the fitting removed:
View attachment 50598

So, I doubt that this would have been a source of water ingress.
I cleaned up the old fitting and used a piece of tubing to help keep the 3M5200 from plugging up the drain hole. I'll yank the tubing out tomorrow morning once the 5200 has firmed up.
View attachment 50599
Here's a pic just before applying the 5200:
View attachment 50600
Here's a pic from the inside after I gooped a bunch of 5200 around the fitting:
View attachment 50601

So, the one thing that is different between my situation and @OUT ON THE REEF's is that on his boat, there was a void between the inner and outer hulls that he had to fill. I wonder if this is supposed to be that way on the FSH, or whether the factory missed putting some filler board in that area. If anybody with a FSH pops their drain fitting and finds that the inside looks like my pic, then @OUT ON THE REEF might want to look into things further.
wow excellent fix looks professional thanks for showing your repair .

OrangeTJ

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
View attachment 50556

Here's a pic from the brand new 242EX that I looked at today:
View attachment 50557
This looks more like what I'd expect to see "under the covers" in a $20,000 travel trailer (which seem to be made primarily of veneer, wood glue and staples) than in a $60,000 + boat. I'm glad the fix is easy but that is really not good craftsmanship. Hopefully this is just an anomaly and not indicative of how Yamaha is building these boats now. Good on you for finding and fixing it.

FloJet

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Dang, Now I have to check mine now. Thanks for the heads up on this. Very helpful info.