• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Anchors for southern lakes?

flyingnugget

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Hey All,

Looking for a new anchor. Actually bought a new box anchor thanks to that DAMN Overtons 40% off coupon ;), and now I'm wondering if that was the best choice.

What are you guys using here in the south besides that standard Danforth Anchors? I have a shore spike too but haven't used it yet this year. I boat in GA, AL.

PEARCE

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I would think you would be very happy with a Mantas anchor. @farrelltravis would be the guy to contact to get a great deal. I'm assuming your lakes are mud and clay with sand thrown in for good measure. Your shore spike will be great when you go to a beach to hold your stern to the shore.

DieselCamel

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
World Cat
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Hey All,

Looking for a new anchor. Actually bought a new box anchor thanks to that DAMN Overtons 40% off coupon ;), and now I'm wondering if that was the best choice.

What are you guys using here in the south besides that standard Danforth Anchors? I have a shore spike too but haven't used it yet this year. I boat in GA, AL.

Box should work great in mud and weeds. In my experience it hold great in anything but fine sand with a current.

MattFX4

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Hey All,

I have heard good things about the box anchor. I always had good luck on Allatoona with the Danforth. It holds really well if you know how to set it.

Matt Phillips

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I had great luck with the Box Anchor on my 23 footer. With the 24 footer, if there's a bit of wind, I've noticed is has slipped. This is with the "small" that's suppose to be enough for my boat. Since I have some chain around, I'm going to give that a try this summer and see if that helps hold it down. If not, then I may change over to a Mantus.

Definitely ditch the Danforth as more people seem to have problems with them then success...

suke

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I have one of these and it actually does really well in our lakes here that are predominantly clay/mud/nastiness.

flyingnugget

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
I have heard good things about the box anchor. I always had good luck on Allatoona with the Danforth. It holds really well if you know how to set it.
Thanks @MattFX4 , Yeah I've had ok luck with the Danforth down here on the south side but its been inconsistent and thought I would try something different and see how it went.

Thanks everyone too. Sometimes Anchors can be a personal thing. Was just trying to get an idea of options.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have one of these and it actually does really well in our lakes here that are predominantly clay/mud/nastiness.
Thanks @MattFX4 , Yeah I've had ok luck with the Danforth down here on the south side but its been inconsistent and thought I would try something different and see how it went.
My boat came with a galvanized Danforth style anchor. I added 100' of 3/8th rode, 5' of 5/16th chain and an anchor buddy. This worked ok in lakes and in the Bahamas. I had one of those river anchors for the stern.

Then in 2016 I bought a Fortress FX-7 and swapped it onto the same setup that I used with the Danforth. The Mantus had a lot of consideration but would not fit in my anchor locker. The FX-7 was amazing on local lakes and in the Bahamas. So much so that I bought a second for the stern. I gave away a river anchor, might have a second on the shelf and sold the box anchor that I had on the shelf.

Jameson Clark

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length

PEARCE

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The FX-7 was amazing on local lakes
I use a Fortress FX-16 as my rear anchor on our Sea Ray. It's lightweight and easy to handle and digs in and holds really well in the Texoma sand.

rkluck

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I always just used a river anchor with about 6 foot of chain and about 75' of rope. Rarely need that much. I put out the bow and backed slowly until it caught and threw out the stern. No issues even when we went down to Savannah and anchored.

F.M.

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I use a 17lb Richter style anchor with 6ft of chain. I thought it might be a little small for my 24 footer but it hasn't slipped yet. And it fits in the anchor locker, if you have a dremel tool. :)

farrelltravis

Jetboaters Captain
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I urge you to watch the Mantus testing videos on our website below. When you see them, they are almost hard to believe how good they work. Then, if you pull the trigger and get a Mantus and use it you will become a believer. The Mantus anchors are truly incredible. If I didn't believe they weren't the best anchor on the market today, I wouldn't sell them. You will not be dissapointed. Feel to browse our website at www.GetAGripAnchors.com

Happy boating!

Joatmon

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
255 SE
Boat Length
Fortress Guardian. Lightweight aluminum and effective if you use a leader chain. Never failed me and I own two of them. One for each boat. I used stainless steel chain from McMaster Carr for the leader.

Weeb

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have a Mantus I love, light quick set. I use it in shallower water. I use my small box anchor in really deep water only because I don’t need to put out as much line.

Jmulvihill

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
I use a Fortress FX-16 as my rear anchor on our Sea Ray. It's lightweight and easy to handle and digs in and holds really well in the Texoma sand.
Hey Pearce - Sorry to resurrect a 5 month old thread, but it is exactly on topic for my question... Do you know of any using a box anchor on Texoma? I am highly considering a 21lb Slide Box Anchor for a 212ss I am buying. We are on Texoma too, so thought I would see if you have any insight for if anyone has had good or bad luck in the sandy mud up there.

Thanks!

PEARCE

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Jmulvihill people that I have known to use a box anchor said it does work. The problem with them is where to store them in the boat when not in use. Also, they have more of a potential to drag in high winds if not deployed properly. My personal opinion is that you'd be better off with a traditional type anchor such as a Fortress or a Mantis. @farrelltravis has the hookup if you want a Mantis. On our Yamaha I use the Slide anchor shore spike and it works perfectly for beach stern anchoring. Good luck with your new boat! Post some pics when you get it. Where do you plan to launch from and keep it?

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Never had an issue with my small box anchor. I store it unfolded under the starboard bow seat on top of a door mat. I have no chain on it, but do put out 3-1 rode at least.
I also have no problem with my danforth/fluke anchor, but I have at least 5 feet of chain on that.

Jmulvihill

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
@Jmulvihill people that I have known to use a box anchor said it does work. The problem with them is where to store them in the boat when not in use. Also, they have more of a potential to drag in high winds if not deployed properly. My personal opinion is that you'd be better off with a traditional type anchor such as a Fortress or a Mantis. @farrelltravis has the hookup if you want a Mantis. On our Yamaha I use the Slide anchor shore spike and it works perfectly for beach stern anchoring. Good luck with your new boat! Post some pics when you get it. Where do you plan to launch from and keep it?
Thanks for the info Pearce! The Slide Box Anchor takes down such that it can store almost flat, so I would assume that it can easily be stored under on of the front seat cushions. I will have to take dimensions of the locker and under seat spaces when I actually take possession of the boat and compare to the anchor to see what makes the most sense. Thanks for letting me know about FarrelTravis. If I decide to not go with a box anchor and want to consider the Mantis, I will drop him a note.

We have a cabin up on the OK side, out on Washita Point. We had a slip at Alberta Creek, but it had no lift and the Texoma water and zebra mussels just hosed the bottom and transom of the boat. We will be trailering the boat, still launching at Alberta Creek, and storing it in our large shop at the cabin. What is your home marina?

Jmulvihill

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Never had an issue with my small box anchor. I store it unfolded under the starboard bow seat on top of a door mat. I have no chain on it, but do put out 3-1 rode at least.
I also have no problem with my danforth/fluke anchor, but I have at least 5 feet of chain on that.
Good info!! Thanks for passing it along. Looks like you have the 24' hull using the small box anchor, so hoping that if I get the 21lb (small size on Slide Anchor's website), it will also do a good job for the 21'.