• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Anyone taken a Seadoo challenger to Bimini from Miami?

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
Thinking of going on Sun and returning Mon. Experience with gas mileage? Reserves? Any buddy boats want to join? Any other advice? Forecast below:101671

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
You don't want to be looking at the North Bimini waves and winds you want to be looking at the mid channel forecast or if you can't find that, the Miami near shore. The wind typically comes from the SE, so the Bimini forecast is showing in the lee of the island. Anything over 10mph is going to be an unpleasant crossing-something I avoid!

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I use the Windy app and look at "Bahamas-gulf stream (fort lauderdale/bimini" and "Gulf stream Miami-bimini". The Ft lauderdale one is showing 1.7 to 1.8 at 4 seconds with 12mph winds....not ideal, but doable. The 4 second interval isn't good. Your forecast shows much higher winds (14-16mph) which means over 2 footers from my experience.

My primary concern is the Sunday morning forecast for heavy rain. You do NOT want to be out there in a thunderstorm!!!! EVER. You want to be going around-away from storms. Never drive through one unless you are already heading to the ER with someone and its life or death. Lightening is a very real danger than will fry your boat....and you in it!

Monday return looks ok.

Just not sure I'd ever cross for less than 2-3 nights min. One night....never.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Regarding the "Reserves?" question....yes, you always want reserve fuel capacity. You never know when you might have to detour around a storm, or the wind picks up and you end up pounding waves for hours-reducing your gas mileage. We always take 3 five gallon cans with us.

A fixed mount VHF radio with tallest antenna you can get is a MUST! You don't want to be out of range of the coast guard. If crossing alone, and EPIRB would be advisable as well.

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
Thanks so much for all of this great advice Julian! Yes we have reserves, were planning on 10 gallons but was just curious if anyone had done this trip with their challenger and their experience with reserves. We have the vhf and plb with gps and were going to head out after the rains. Will likely hold off this weekend though for better weather.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

rkim808

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Like @Julian said watching the forecasts is very very important. I personally have the Windy, WIND, and PredictWIND apps and I watch all 3. I never plan long or far outings without knowing all the potential conditions(winds, surf, tides, rain, etc). Make sure u have all ur safety equipment, double check and then triple check everything. Good luck, boat safe, have a great time.🤙🏽

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Like @Julian said watching the forecasts is very very important. I personally have the Windy, WIND, and PredictWIND apps and I watch all 3. I never plan long or far outings without knowing all the potential conditions(winds, surf, tides, rain, etc). Make sure u have all ur safety equipment, double check and then triple check everything. Good luck, boat safe, have a great time.🤙🏽
And not only that you HAVE the equipment, but you know how to operate it WELL. For example:
  • Do you know how to quickly replot your course on your gps (you will be stopping to pull weeds....no point in going back to your old line if you've just drifted a ways in the current).
  • Do you know how to operate the squelch on your handheld emergency radio? (we had someone this year who'd just bought his and didn't know how....took me a while to figure it out on mine!)
  • Have you tried refueling your boat in the ocean? Do your cans have vents and speed fill nozzles?
  • Have you tested your VHF? Automated radio check
  • Do you know how to remove weeds from your pumps? (there is a ton of sargassum weeds in between Bimini and the US)
Every time I go, I improve our preparedness a little in some regard.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Be careful as we are starting to see storms popping up quickly from the tropical air is rushing west. Its now August and prime tropical storm weather conditions are in effect.

the MfM

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
These make refueling simple.
I prefer a speed nozzle with vent.....I can dump a can into the boat in under 60 seconds. I tie a docking line to the handle on the side of the can and don't even need to lean out over the boat. Stick the flexible nozzle in the fill tube, raise the can, hold the rope. (I have a siphon....prefer the speed nozzle)

Whatever works for you....but try it first BEFORE you do it on the open ocean!

suke

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
whole series of these people doing it.