• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Below Water Line Transducer Cable Pass Thru?

Cabin2010

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
195 Open ID
Boat Length
Need a cable pass thru for below water application, everything I'm seeing is either mickey mouse DIY or for above water line only... There has to be some type of pass thru in the 21st century.... shouldn't there?

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
What are you installing? Most run a cable, for the transducer lets say, from below the waterline up the transom to above the waterline and then put a thru hull in. I don't trust the insulation on the cable to not split and start a leak if below the water line.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Not trying to hijack thread, as I have a tendency to do :).

Which sealant is recommended for the thru hull above the waterline? I have 3M Silicone Marine, Loctite Marine, 4200, 5200 and probably a few more. Seems like going with 5200 may make it too permanent?

Last edited:

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I like 3m 4000UV for above the waterline applications. UV protection from yellowing where exposed to sunlight. I used it all over the sailboat. Just above the waterline under the swim platform is a good use for 4200 also, rated for below the waterline.

Last edited:

Mully262

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SD
Boat Length
Not trying to hijack thread, as I have a tendency to do :).

Which sealant is recommended for the thru hull above the waterline? I have 3M Silicone Marine, Loctite Marine, 4200, 5200 and probably a few more. Seems like going with 5200 may make it too permanent?
I would go with 5200. I used it on my old boat, removed the transducer for my Dad when I sold the boat. It wasn't too bad to remove. Flat head screwdriver and drill bit made pretty quick work of it. I'd rather deal with the pain of removing the 5200 than the pain of using a less than optimal sealant.

Cabin2010

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
195 Open ID
Boat Length
The prob is on the 195 Open... the transom opens, so there no space above the waterline. Only option I see is a thru Hull, which I can do, just a bigger hole in the bottom .. =0/
scarab-195-2018-for-sale-poole-united-kingdom-001.jpg images (1).jpg

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You can't come up through the bottom of that small platform where it meets the transom underneath?

Mully262

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SD
Boat Length

Cabin2010

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
195 Open ID
Boat Length
You can't come up through the bottom of that small platform where it meets the transom underneath?
That's solid glass nothing to come up too.... It would be easy to snake it around the ransom door but that would look like crap. Not to mention people tripping over it. Thinking I'm stuck with the they hull,. I would go internal but need the water temp and I don't believe internal would do well with side scan.

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I would go with 5200. I used it on my old boat, removed the transducer for my Dad when I sold the boat. It wasn't too bad to remove. Flat head screwdriver and drill bit made pretty quick work of it. I'd rather deal with the pain of removing the 5200 than the pain of using a less than optimal sealant.
4200 isn't suboptimal, it was literally designed for this purpose. 5200 shouldn't be used on anything that may ever need to be replaced in the future (eg transducers, lights, etc).

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Ok, he is right. Not a lot of surfaces to bring it in above the waterline. A couple of potential places around the ladder if it is above the waterline while afloat.

20210415_160906.jpg

InmyElement

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Looks good..let us know how the transom saver holds up. I want to do the same thing. I avoid screwing into the hull at all costs, especially for a transducer that has a life a lot shother than the boat.

Cabin2010

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
195 Open ID
Boat Length
Here's one that was placed basically the only place you can on the scarab. We keep our boat in morrage all summer, I just dont know that i would trust this .. it is below the water line ...
DSC07200.JPG