• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Bimini 2018

Wr3ckdiver

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I'm interested in Bimini in 2018 but curious how the other SX190's faired in this crossing. Also do the larger boats just take off and leave the rest behind?

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I'm interested in Bimini in 2018 but curious how the other SX190's faired in this crossing. Also do the larger boats just take off and leave the rest behind?
A 190 will be slow, maxing out at under 30 mph. You will want to bring 10 gallons of extra fuel. Unless the water is super smooth we will set a target crossing speed of 20 to 25.

Leaders will not run off and leave their groups. But if boats are unwilling or unable to maintain planing speeds they need to turn back. The leaders simply can not slow to below planing speeds risking the safety of the entire group.

MrMoose

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Wr3ckdiver, you asked a very good question, and Bruce already answered it very accurately. As additional info, @ThatJeepGuy crossed in a 19 footer in 2016. The group speed was well above planing speed, and it was set based on the max that @ThatJeepGuy could manage. He was wide open throttle all the way, and in order to plane, one of his two crew members had to sit in the bow and later crawl to the back of the cockpit after the boat planed out. After the 2016 experience, @ThatJeepGuy bought a 24 footer.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
24 footers are definitely the way to go! Lol.
Sorry, I'm being facetious.

I have had too many factory parts in my brand new AR240 rattle off my boat, amounting to some $10k worth of damage at dealer invoice. Yamaha has summarily denied ANY and ALL warranty coverage - both 1-year factory and YES. Just something to consider.
Don't get me wrong, I would still make the trip but I think it helps to be aware:

Yamaha (jet boat division) is a bull$hit company. Contrary to their advertising, if you take your boat offshore - you may be on your own and have your warranty denied with NO RECOURSE AVAILABLE.
Those a$$holes apparently prefer to deal with legal challenges, not mechanical ones.

--

Wr3ckdiver

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hmm haven't heard that one, and I really have no choice but to take my boat offshore as I live in South Florida. There are lots of Yamaha jet boat dealers here so I wouldn't believe that taking it offshore voids the warranty. Also there are a couple of guys on here that have the jet powered FSH 190 which is an offshore boat. I have a GPS and usually stay in the bay or just on the other side of the Key Largo or up around Miami. Personally I don't want to put it in the lakes and rivers here because of all the damn alligators. Can't exactly feel comfortable swimming, tubing and boarding in fresh water here.... Besides we have some of the most beautiful reefs in the world here and man its so awesome to go diving on them.. water is so clear you can see 60 feet to the bottom...

Last edited:

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Wr3ckdiver, I believe @swatski is taking a bit of frustration liberty on his writing.
There were other boats which had the exact same issues with Swatski's and Yamaha covered them. It is just that they screwed him over really badly. You might want to read the entire post about that as FYI. If you were planing on buying a 2015+ AR240, you will DEFINITELY need to read that post.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Well, maybe my case is different, may be it is not, I don't know. I know that my claim was handled directly by the Yamaha customer service. I can tell you for a fact these people have denied ALL of my claims, tower, chair, anchor locker etc. - I will paste a full list below if I can find it now.

Failure to stand behind their warranty is a problem. I purchased a new boat because it came with a warranty and even purchased an extended warranty, it’s like I purchased snake oil.

The claims that I know off that have gone through and were approved, such as @Majorsmackdown, were handled by the respective dealer. That may be one explanation for different outcome. I was not offered that route and my dealer was kept out of the loop, not exactly sure why but that is besides the point.

And regardless - the way I was treated is inexcusable - my example clearly shows that these assholes (Yamaha customer service) - can deny any claim at will and basically force you to fight them in court if you don't like what you hear - There is no recourse and no paper trail that you are privileged to. Nothing. Just verbal rejection (over the phone!) - on a new boat w/ 10k claim.

--

hobineros

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I'm betting the dealerships didn't mention it happened offshore. lol

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Ok. Thanks for the advice. Great point on the weight and extra items needed. How about the following: 3 people in the boat ~ 500 lbs and the rest can take the ferry if there is one from Fort Lauderdale. I would still like to cross with the Glastron if possible but will keep an eye on upgrade options if something comes up.
So I am reading this again, and I figured I chime in. I flew in my family to Bimini and back to Florida. $90 to Bimini & $140 to Florida. In my opinion the ferry is not worth the price difference. Especially given that the crew will need to go to Miami and come back to Harbour Towne. Too much of a hassle. I can only promise that $300 is the least of your worries for this trip. And just like my forum friends like to say " think in of it in terms of % to the total cost"

I believe there will be boats willing to take an adult or two. Amar is going again next year and I am sure he can use an extra adult next time his windshield shatters. LOL

Last edited:

hobineros

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Hmm haven't heard that one, and I really have no choice but to take my boat offshore as I live in South Florida. There are lots of Yamaha jet boat dealers here so I wouldn't believe that taking it offshore voids the warranty. Also there are a couple of guys on here that have the jet powered FSH 190 which is an offshore boat. I have a GPS and usually stay in the bay or just on the other side of the Key Largo or up around Miami. Personally I don't want to put it in the lakes and rivers here because of all the damn alligators. Can't exactly feel comfortable swimming, tubing and boarding in fresh water here.... Besides we have some of the most beautiful reefs in the world here and man its so awesome to go diving on them.. water is so clear you can see 60 feet to the bottom...
I think there is a bit of a difference between boating the reefs near Miami ~7 miles out versus 25-45 miles offshore.

I wouldn't even consider anything up and until you pass these reefs down here +5 additional miles offshore. I would call it more "near shore". You don't find pelagic species in near shore waters... i.e. Mahi you have to be in the jet stream or nearly to hook one. Sure oddballs do occur. *disclaimer*

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Gonna go ahead and tag along to this thread. Currently lacking a capable vessel, but that might change. :)

smthng

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Currently on the fence... Really don't want to put my 21' through the pounding it would probably take. Would probably be more willing to attempt it on a ski, which might be in my cards if work is really good to me for EOY bonus. If that's the case, I'd fly the wife over and would probably be looking for someone to pilot her ski. If there's a reasonably competent ski pilot on a boat that needs to shed some weight... :)

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Just a thought. Wouldn't it be better to go to Bimini 2 or 3 times instead of spending the money on a ski ?
Since you are so close to the cost, why don't you take the boat out in day with 2-3 foot seas and see how she does. Then maybe rent a ski and try it in 2-3 just like you did on the boat. That should give you a clear picture on what vessel to cross.

The other option is to have your wife cross on another boat and she can ride with you while in Bimini. I think there are few people who do that.

Amar Nanduri

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
So I am reading this again, and I figured I chime in. I flew in my family to Bimini and back to Florida. $90 to Bimini & $140 to Florida. In my opinion the ferry is not worth the price difference. Especially given that the crew will need to go to Miami and come back to Harbour Towne. Too much of a hassle. I can only promise that $300 is the least of your worries for this trip. And just like my forum friends like to say " think in of it in terms of % to the total cost"

I believe there will be boats willing to take an adult or two. Amar is going again next year and I am sure he can use an extra adult next time his windshield shatters. LOL
Windshield shattering was the least of my worries. If you get caught up in a storm be prepared for the ride of your life as your life will flash before you.

Currently in the Florida Keys with my friend's Yamaha 242 and planning on snorkeling around here for a day or two. Mostly will stick to a couple of miles offshore (Looes keys) and no more than that (as we don't have a backup bilge pump) . I heard the snorkeling there is excellent. Will know today of the weather holds good.

smthng

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Just a thought. Wouldn't it be better to go to Bimini 2 or 3 times instead of spending the money on a ski ?
Since you are so close to the cost, why don't you take the boat out in day with 2-3 foot seas and see how she does.
All good points, but...

I want skis anyway... sometimes getting Fat Betty (our 212X) all set up is a bit of a hassle when we just want to drop in the water and tool around for a couple hours.

I've had her out in 4-5 swells before. It's not the handling or fear of taking a wave that worries me... it's that we have to be on plane at speed the entire way to make it on one tank of gas and she takes a serious pounding in anything more than 2 feet swells on plane. I don't want to subject her to hours of that punishment... That seems like a great way to shorten the life of a boat. She's already at the point where I have to retighten tons of stuff every few outtings.

Still... I'm torn. Just considering options.

Currently in the Florida Keys with my friend's Yamaha 242 and planning on snorkeling around here for a day or two. Mostly will stick to a couple of miles offshore (Looes keys) and no more than that (as we don't have a backup bilge pump) . I heard the snorkeling there is excellent. Will know today of the weather holds good.
Last time we had Fat Betty out there, there was this floating sea grass everywhere and were cleaning the intakes non-stop... and our scupper failed. :( I hope you have better luck... there is some nice snorkeling and beaching if there are no storms churning it up.

Amar Nanduri

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
It started raining in the morning but eased out around 9 am. Then we took the boat out into the ocean. I was letting her loose running around 1-1.5 miles parallel to the keys (route 1 south) at 30mph before veering off into the ocean to get to Looes Key. The drive was similar to coming back from Bimini to Fll (2 foot waves with a few rough waves thrown in). The reef was not bad (nothing compared to Bimini of course ) and we spent a few hours there. Enjoying the reefs around the keys made me appreciate Bimini even more as there is nothing like it so far as per my experience. Driving to key west tonight to chill with my friends and finally back to Miami tomorrow.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
it's that we have to be on plane at speed the entire way to make it on one tank of gas and she takes a serious pounding in anything more than 2 feet swells on plane. I don't want to subject her to hours of that punishment... That seems like a great way to shorten the life of a boat.
This is why we took extra gas with us as there was no way I was subjecting myself and my boat to that sort of pounding. We crossed at a leisurely pace (on the day before the main group) going between 13-18mph through the worst seas and edging up as we made it further across. We arrived with 15% remaining in our tank and didn't touch the 15 gallons we had strapped to the swim deck. This is also why if I go again, I'll ensure our departure timeframe is flexible so we wouldn't have to go on a rough day.