• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Bimini 2018

Geoffrey bell

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
222SD
Boat Length
Please wait until the dates are announced. Find out if you are going with the first group or the second group. If the dates are outside of my lake Powell trip ( which I believe they will be), then use I-20 instead of I-10 on the way to Florida. If you do so, when you pass by Dallas, I will be more than happy to let you use my 7 inch plotter, off shore lifejackets, handheld VHF, & 8 foot antenna. You will just need to buy a decent fixed VHF ( standard horizon 1600/1700 for $150 ) & connect to the antenna. You could have very calm seas and the crossing will be a piece of cake or you could have a 2017 surprise.

• In my opinion going with only a handheld is risky and rude. Risky because most of them will transmit clear enough further than 2 miles. On top of that everyone tends to forget that between the wind, the engine it is really hard to hear what people are saying on the radio. And a handheld ( especially a cheap one) will make it even more difficult? Why I say rude? Because not having the proper equipmnet puts stress on the group leaders. We the newbies/first timers need to make their life easier, not put extra stress that they need to keep an eye on new guy who decided to cross with POS radio.
  • I would also stay away from small screen chart-plotters. I had my 7 inch Garmin & 2 back ups on the 2017 crossing. When the time come where I had to navigate, the back ups ( 2inch Inreach explorer & 4 inch waypoint VHF) were unreadable. Being for the first time offshore you will not be able to navigate on a 3 or 4 inch screen.
Anyway when the dates are official, and you decide to go, send me a PM and I will be glad to let use some of my equipment.

PS. I do not mean to sound insulting in anyway, but do not try to go there on a budget. The worse part of it is that if you go on a budget, you will hesitate to return to port when otherwise you would have definitely returned.
Thank you for the offer once the dates are released I will reach out to you. As this is not something I have done before just trying to get the right equipment for the trip.

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thank you for the offer once the dates are released I will reach out to you. As this is not something I have done before just trying to get the right equipment for the trip.
I fully understand. This was me 12 month ago LOL

James R Whitten

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Isuppose severe thunderstorms tend to affect the local wave forecast :)
I will follow you anywheremy friend.

Yes sir I believe your right.

Amar Nanduri

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
Why do i get the feeling that I have been down this road before ;)

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Geoffrey bell while I agree with almost all the above recommendations sometime we all get a little skewed with the old school mariner mentality. With todays advances in technology some of these things just simply are not needed for this trip though I will reinforce they can be recommended. I use an ipad (must be 3g or 4g version) for navigation on the boat not because its the best but because I prefer the navigation on the Navionics app to most chart plotters my back up on the boat is my Iphone and my 3rd back up is a Garmin GPSMAP 78SC with my routes precharted. I only use a handheld vhf on the boat because my back up is my cell phone, satellite phone and delorme inreach all of which have basically unlimited range other then the cell phone having to be in cell service which are all superior to a fixed vhf. I agree on not going short on gear but it doesn't always mean you have to buy things you will only use for the one trip. If you have a iphone, smart phone or proper ipad you can use those with a mount for navigation and use the gpsmap 78sc as a back up. Before I would buy a fixed vhf I would buy a hand held and a delorme inreach this combo is better then a fixed vhf only in my opinion I'm sure some will disagree. Any item you think you can keep and use for sure on the boat after the trip go ahead and buy so if you want a fixed chart plotter and a fixed vhf get them as they are great but these are not necessities if you are properly equipped with out them. The main reason I would tell you to choose the other combo is if these will be one time uses the delorme, gpsmap 78Sc and a handheld vhf (which I would probably just keep) can all be dumped on ebay and if you check pricing on there you would find your losses on them would be minimal. Best advice given was be prepared to be able to take care of yourself and not rely on the group every captains number one priority should be there crew and vessel and assisting another only comes after that priority is secured.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
My opinions on what you need for this trip (yup....just my opinions - and my brother's - everyone has one!)
  • A full 25w marine radio is a must! I have to 100% disagree with Robert on this one. It is the standard way of communication on the water, and the last thing you want to be doing when your boat is sinking is trying to connect to the coast guard! If you have a satellite phone, this would not be as simple as you think when you have a problem. Pressing a distress button on your radio (one button), then switching to 16 and calling for help is way faster than dialing a phone number, potentially getting transfered or put on hold etc! It is CHEAP and the best safety item you should have. I would NEVER make this trip with only hand held devices.
  • Reserve fuel is a must. If you have heavy weather, a poor performing boat (like the one we rescued in 2017), have to go around a storm etc...you will need more gas. Bring it.
  • I am still evaluating weather radar. I disagree with Bruce on this one....looking at the radar before you depart doesn't help when 2 hours later a summer storm cell or cells (like we ran into in 2017) blow up, and you can't determine which way they are heading is real problem. We got lucky and followed in a big cruiser that had radar. This is a marginal item....would sure be nice to have though!

Berrie

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Monterey
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I understand that some of the items - such as fixed vhf and plotter - are generally not used on a lake.
I also believe that once you've made a successful crossing, you will go back and make another one, possibly more. So it's not really just one-time use.

And it is cheap insurance. The whole trip will cost most of us around $4-5k. What's another $250 for a fixed vhf and antenna, and $250 for a nice plotter / fishfinder?

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My opinions on what you need for this trip (yup....just my opinions - and my brother's - everyone has one!)
  • I have to 100% disagree with Robert on this one. It is the standard way of communication on the water, and the last thing you want to be doing when your boat is sinking is trying to connect to the coast guard! If you have a satellite phone, this would not be as simple as you think when you have a problem. Pressing a distress button on your radio (one button), then switching to 16 and calling for help is way faster than dialing a phone number, potentially getting transfered or put on hold etc! It is CHEAP and the best safety item you should have. I would NEVER make this trip with only hand held devices.
While I do understand your point on this one. Both of the near sinking experiences I have witnessed on a Bimini crossing a fixed VHF would have been useless and if it would have been the only communication on the boat they would have had no way to contact anyone. On a large vessel yes I would prefer the VHF but our boats a sinking situation typically means taking large amounts of water over the bow. Both boats I witnessed having this happen to both lost all on board electronic near immediately. A water proof handheld and a waterproof Delorme attached to me would still be my preference all day long.

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
And it is cheap insurance. The whole trip will cost most of us around $4-5k. What's another $250 for a fixed vhf and antenna, and $250 for a nice plotter / fishfinder?
I believe it can be done at $4K-$5K, but it is rather optimistic.

• I spend $3,302 on prepping the boat for the crossing and towing 1,500 miles
  • I spend 8,661 for a family of 5 ( 3 adults 2 kids). However, this included 1 week in Orlando prior to Bimini. So after removing all non Bimini related expenses ( Disney, Orlando hotel, Flights etc) I still spent $5,770.
  • I took about $1,000 on damage from the crossing ( still repairing, so I am dont have a final figure). This was my own fault, but still !!!!!
I can PM you the excel for each item if you want to see what is relevant to you and what not.

A couple, of friends asked me if I am going back in 2018 and I said. Yes sure, make sure I have $6,000 cash and we can talk about it.

justason

Jetboaters Admiral
SWAG Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
My first trip was shy of a grand in boat logistics, including a handheld radio and handheld GPS and 4 passports. I've since added a 25w fixed mount ($90) and a chart-plotter ($2xx).
outside of those costs our round trip from NC and back for a family of 4 was $4,000 both times.

Berrie

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Monterey
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I believe it can be done at $4K-$5K, but it is rather optimistic.
I was only looking at cost of boat fuel and lodging/food in Bimini.
Costs for towing/fuel/lodging to and from FLL are different for everyone, so are costs to prep; it depends on what your boat is equipped with already.

If you live near FLL and your boat is well equipped that cost is near zero.

If you are @Majorsmackdown well then it's a little different.... :D

Amar Nanduri

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
I would be very happy if my total costs come down to 4-5k per trip. I will then be able to make this an annual event for the next few years till my kids grow up. My very first trip ran in double digits and that included boat preparation, trailer hiccups, fuel and lodging. Now that I am changing my boat, have to start all over again.

Berrie

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Monterey
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I would be very happy if my total costs come down to 4-5k per trip. I will then be able to make this an annual event for the next few years till my kids grow up. My very first trip ran in double digits and that included boat preparation, trailer hiccups, fuel and lodging. Now that I am changing my boat, have to start all over again.
But you could save $$$ by sleeping on your boat in FLL. That's what we will do. (The minivan advantage :D)

Berrie

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Monterey
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
My 8 day trip to Abacos last summer cost about 6k including prep, 5 nights lodging, fuel, and food. And i have twin 350's to feed :eek:

Amar Nanduri

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
But you could save $$$ by sleeping on your boat in FLL. That's what we will do. (The minivan advantage :D)
This time I am going to do that if I can convince my wife :D . I plan to come to Florida early, spend some time in the Keys and Miami before heading out to Bimini.

Amar Nanduri

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
My 8 day trip to Abacos last summer cost about 6k including prep, 5 nights lodging, fuel, and food. And i have twin 350's to feed :eek:
Abacos is originally on my todo list for 2019. I might bypass it as I want to take my family on an rv trip across the USA for a month or so. Still debating on this.

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I have never done a long distance ocean crossing. That said I have traveled to remote places, trained for survival, and have been in real fit hit the shan situations. What gear to spend money on is a much debated topic so here I am throwing my opinion in the ring for others to consider.

First and foremost are you equiped to rescue yourself? Do you have life jackets and a floating survival kit? Do you know what to do? Have you practiced it? Has your crew practiced it?

Communications are great but if someone is breaking into your house while you are in it do you want to count on the cops or a neighbor to get there in time from an alarm or phone call or do you want an accessible loaded gun with the knowledge and practice to use it effectively to protect you and yours? I am the latter and hope to never have to use it but if I do there are not many that will best me in that situation because I practice it enough to confidently say it.

Back to communications. A fixed VHF will communicate with boats at a greater distance. That said when things go bad they usually go bad very fast. Do you want to count on not being washed out of your boat before you can call for help over the radio and give a meaningful amount of info for someone to get there in time to find you? All of that while you need to be concerned with the rest of the crew?

IMO a Stanadard Horizon 870 floating/waterproof handheld gps/vhf radio with tether to your vest or person is the 1st communication device to get. At $200 it is very affordable. You can just tap a distress icon and it will continue to broadcast over the 6w radio even after the boat and fixed vhf have sunk and until its long lasting battery gives up. After that take some AA alkaline out of your survival kit and dump them in the unit. Again everyone on board should know how to use the device. Delorme in reach devices are my second choice for communication and I would personally recommend as cheap insurance and to give family peace of mind. Again with a tether to a person on baord and preferablly not the person with the SH870. An epirb makes a good partial substitute for the inreach. Lastly a fixed vhf but if you boat in the ocean regularly that is even a must.

Now for navigation. Back to my original thinking, can you navigate on your own after a disaster. Let say all power is dead to all devices and you have no way of charging them. Do you have a good ol fashioned map and compass in your ditch/survival kit? Do you know how to use them? Does anyone else on board know how?

As for electronic navigation devices, fixed plotters are great but what happens if the boat sinks or you are washed out. Smartphones are great especially when you have the land and sea maps already download to at least two devices, you have a backup charging method in your survival kit and the devices are already in waterproof floating cases.

I don’t boat on the ocean often but if I did I might also buy a hand pump desalinator for my survival kit.

To sum it up there are lots of fancy devices you can spend money on but given just a split second what is really important at 40 miles offshore and no garuntee anyone is listening at that exact moment? You can spend money on every gadget and gizmo out there or you can think like a survival minimalist. Either way knowing how to use what you do have, having a plan, and practicing will garner more success in a bad situation.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I see this:

Bimini 2018: Naked and Afraid Edition

Who will come out of it with the all time highest PSR???
(My money is on @Mainah)

--

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I see this:

Bimini 2018: Naked and Afraid Edition

Who will come out of it with the all time highest PSR???
(My money is on @Mainah)

--
Funny. There are lots of folks wondering what to buy for Bimini and my post was more to get everyone thinking about not only what is really needed but also that training/practice is just as if not more important. IMO for a lake boater going on this groups Bimini trip the only devices they really need is a SH870 w/tether and a water resistant smartphone with navionics installed and maps downloaded. All the other gizmos are just nice to haves when you think about it how I layed out although be it a very worst case scenario. I am not saying those nice to haves are a waste of money or time by any means but just that they are not the must haves IMO even knowing some of the cases those devices have proved useful in. Going it totally alone I would have to say that at least one of those nice to haves would become a must have.

Berrie

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Monterey
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I wasn't there so I can only go by reading the 2017 thread, but from my understanding there were multiple instances where communications were not possible because some only had a handheld VHF. One person went the wrong way and could not be contacted, someone ran out of fuel short of Bimini and could not radio for help because their handheld didn't have the reach.
If you get swamped and all electronics die, a fixed VHF will not help you, but that is about the worst case scenario. There are multiple less-than-worst-case scenarios where a fixed is far superior to a handheld. And why I always travel with both, and a SPOT, and if crossing, an EPIRB. And if I had known better, I would not have gotten the SPOT, but a waterproof sat phone instead.