• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Bimini side shade

MrMoose

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Check out my avatar pic. just hooked 4 plastic clamps from Home Depot to one of my favorite flags. Done. Nothing falls into the water. Takes 15 seconds to fasten.

Bennie

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Check out my avatar pic. just hooked 4 plastic clamps from Home Depot to one of my favorite flags. Done. Nothing falls into the water. Takes 15 seconds to fasten.
I like that! Simple, customizable, quick, looks good.
(Sounds like the perfect wife)

What clamps did you use?

MrMoose

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I like that! Simple, customizable, quick, looks good.
(Sounds like the perfect wife)

What clamps did you use?
I wasn't sure which size would work best, so I bought an assortment of clamps in a mesh bag from Home Depot. They're like this style:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/BESSEY-Assortment-of-Light-Duty-Plastic-Spring-Clamp-in-Various-Sizes-14-Piece-XC-14PC/205512956

I used stainless/brass nuts bolts and washers to attach the clamp handle to the flag. I also used a bit of glue at the location of the bolt hole in the flag so that the material doesn't rip. I have a few different flags that can be used interchangeably either as a side skirt or as a bimini extension.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Cool idea @MrMoose wouldn't be hard to just put some grommets in a flag and just use bungee cords to hold it up too! Not sure where I'd attach them on the bottom too...but on my boat...would be easy on the top!

Perhaps we need to get some bigger Jetboaters.net flags! :)

Av8tor07

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Yup....I suppose one could just buy some shade material and use the bimini clips to clip it up...but zippering is way easier....and less agravating when you drop a bimini clip!

For those that don't know what a bimini clip is:

View attachment 54583
Hey Julian. Question for you. Do you know if the standard size bimini clip will fit a 2016 212x? I'm not sure how to measure it. Do I have to measure the circumference?i would think that the tower you have on your 242 is the same size as mine. Thanks.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Hey Julian. Question for you. Do you know if the standard size bimini clip will fit a 2016 212x? I'm not sure how to measure it. Do I have to measure the circumference?i would think that the tower you have on your 242 is the same size as mine. Thanks.
I would think that they would as the 212x has a pretty standard small pipe frame. They do NOT fix the 242X as the bimini frame is bigger than normal.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Look for picnic table clips - various sizes.

--

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
We had the other side shade made, and like them both a lot. They block most of the direct and reflective sun and provide some privacy but also let the wind thru.

20170612_140337.jpg

Av8tor07

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I would think that they would as the 212x has a pretty standard small pipe frame. They do NOT fix the 242X as the bimini frame is bigger than normal.
Ok. Thanks

captainhook

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
@zipper is that a stock Bimini on a 230 hull? I see you have a tower. Anyone know if it is the same Bimini as a non-tower 230 hull? It looks like it is.

I wonder if your source would make one for me and ship it since you said she has the pattern saved.

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@captainhook Yes it is a stock bimini frame on an AR230. I believe the only difference is my front poles are telescoping to allow clearance under tower when putting up and down. Now is her busy season. She may or may not be able to find her pattern, we gave her our other sun shade to copy last week as she could not find her pattern for it. She does know where my boat is, so she could revisit the bimini to measure it or possibly send her yours. My bimini also came with a new boot. I do not know price for just bimini as we had a lot more done. If you contact her, refresh her memory by saying it was orange. If you need further contact info PM me.

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Bump...I mentioned this in a previous post here last year. But the sun felt extra hot out on the Yamaha yesterday. Air temp. was 95° real feel was 101° water temp. was 79° with a 8mph wind. We are really happy with the "bimini side shade/privacy curtains". We did not set the stern anchor and let the boat swing on the bow anchor. Out on either end of the swing, exposes the cockpit under the bimini to the hot sun. Loving how the shade screens knock down the intensity. Glad Willow thought of having them made two years ago when we had the bimini done. Makes being on the boat in those conditions bearable. Now we need to get one for the front of the bimini, or a zippered bimini extension over the bow while at anchor, tried a towel and bimini clips there yesterday but it blocked the wind.
20180806_145415.jpg
20180806_145045.jpg
20180806_151422.jpg

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@zipper Have you been caught in the rain with those? If so, do they "strain" the water out of the wind at any level?

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Our one time we were caught out, we were anchored having lunch. We could see the cloud coming so I put the bow cover on, closed the windshield and put the side curtains on. A clear vinyl window between the windshield and bimini would have been nice, but all we had was a couple of big beach towels. So we threw them up there. The side shades knocked down a lot of the pouring rain drops and the upholstery was left pretty dry. Most of the water came in thru the towels, so that vinyl windshield will be on next years mod list. We like the work of a local shop and we are on her waiting list for some bimini and dodger work on the Beneteau, I will add that on then.

LukePrinsloo

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That bimini looks HUGE. My 2011 has a similar tower and the bimini only goes forward of the tower...
Zipped in shade looks awesome btw.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Our one time we were caught out, we were anchored having lunch. We could see the cloud coming so I put the bow cover on, closed the windshield and put the side curtains on. A clear vinyl window between the windshield and bimini would have been nice, but all we had was a couple of big beach towels. So we threw them up there. The side shades knocked down a lot of the pouring rain drops and the upholstery was left pretty dry. Most of the water came in thru the towels, so that vinyl windshield will be on next years mod list. We like the work of a local shop and we are on her waiting list for some bimini and dodger work on the Beneteau, I will add that on then.
Thanks for the feedback. I've considered having a local shop make us some panels to go on the sides of the bimini on our 190. Not sure I want to go full on camper canvas setup, so the side shades, a front windshield, and maybe a rear shade would get us where we want to be. Mostly we are looking to "cover up" when a shower rolls through in the summertime.

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@LukePrinsloo Thanks! The frame is factory stock for an 07 AR230. We just had it covered in Sunbrella and zippers sewn in to accept curtains/shades.