• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Bimini Trip June 27th - July 2nd 2021

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@swatski and @Betik not sure if your guys saw this but after her fighting it Vicky did start a channel last week.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
For those of you that made the 2017 trip (and perhaps for those contemplating it), here is a PDF of the presentation I put together using this trip as an example of how things can go wrong. Of course many of the slides require the back story to understand (which I told during the presentation)....but you should get most of it. Some of you will see you are now famous.....

Attachments

James R Whitten

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Got my house reserved at resort world. One more piece of the puzzle completed.

Boats without wake board towers what are you using for antenna mounts?

James R Whitten

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Is it possible to still join this group for these dates?
Shouldn't be a problem. If you plan on docking at bahia mar if ft lauderdale hit me up. We have discounted docking for the group.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Boats without wake board towers what are you using for antenna mounts?
I would just mount a (cheapo) antenna on the windshield, and/or hook it up to a handheld that you may also be able to use in the resort to communicate with the group, anyway.
@MrMoose had a great setup with a handheld and headphones over head, IIRC, he could actually hear the conversations unlike most of us, the little VHF speakers are barely audible in our loud boats, and inaudible on plane, lol.

--

James R Whitten

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
I would just mount a (cheapo) antenna on the windshield, and/or hook it up to a handheld that you may also be able to use in the resort to communicate with the group, anyway.
@MrMoose had a great setup with a handheld and headphones over head, IIRC, he could actually hear the conversations unlike most of us, the little VHF speakers are barely audible in our loud boats, and inaudible on plane, lol.

--
Thanks I'll look into that. I bought a uniden vhf thats supposed to be good for 25 to 30 miles. Got a ram triple suction cup mount. Really don't want to screw holes in my boat. I was gonna invest in either a loud speaker or a head phone setup.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

MrMoose

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

--
During my last crossing, I had a headset hooked up to my handheld so I could communicate with my group (left ear), and I also was listening to the emergency channel on my fixed VHF (right ear). I really thought that I had things covered... but the last thing I expected was for someone in my group to run out of gas and not get on the f'n radio to let me know.

James R Whitten

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
During my last crossing, I had a headset hooked up to my handheld so I could communicate with my group (left ear), and I also was listening to the emergency channel on my fixed VHF (right ear). I really thought that I had things covered... but the last thing I expected was for someone in my group to run out of gas and not get on the f'n radio to let me know.
If I run out of gas with my 172 gallon tank I'll definitely let someone know.lol

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
For those of you that made the 2017 trip (and perhaps for those contemplating it), here is a PDF of the presentation I put together using this trip as an example of how things can go wrong. Of course many of the slides require the back story to understand (which I told during the presentation)....but you should get most of it. Some of you will see you are now famous.....
Thanks for sharing that! Well done.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
The boat we saved went through 85 gallons to reach Bimini.....now this was because the owner didn't understand the impact of cavitation (or even know what it sounds like). Not a normal situation - but the sort of thing that results in people being lost at sea (the rest of the boats couldn't sit out in the middle of the ocean and drift with them). Thankfully they had a full 25w radio and 8' antenna and could get in communication with us and the CG. They took 65 gallons to go half way across, then once I eliminated their weeds we made it the rest of the way on 20 gallons. Plan for the worst.