• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Boat Burned and Sinking in Maryland

rkluck

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I am sure most of you heard about the 20' Wellcraft boat catching on fire after launching this past weekend. All five reached shore. The news talks as about the three little girls were one is in critical condition. I am always sad to hear these things on a family outing (or anytime).

Does anyone know if this was another example of not venting the boat before starting the engines? It sounds like it was but I haven't seen enough detail to know.

My prayers go out to the family!

This is exactly why I put in a fume detector....inexpensive counter measure to help ensure this never happens to anyone on my boat!

Pretty sad.

Hmm, didn't hear about this. But, this story makes me think that everyone on my boat should have a life jacket on at ALL times. I just have them out usually but I don't make everyone were one.

This is why I turn the fan on as soon as I get in the boat and start preping and then lift the engine hatch to inspect the engines........ I figure by the time I have done all that and load the gear on the boat and then launch it.... we should be good..

Wow, so sad. Prayers for this family.

I thought you were talking about this incident at first but here is another recent one with no injuries but it was another older Welcraft. for some reason I couldn't get the hyperlink to work but if you cut and paste below you will get the article.

Fire Quickly Consumes Boat in Ocean City - WBOC-TV 16 ...
www.wboc.com/story/30011811/fire-quickly-consumes-boat-in-ocean-city
Sep 11, 2015 - Flames quickly took over a boat in Ocean City Friday morning, but authorities say it was thanks to the quick thinking of the two on board that it ...

This is exactly why I put in a fume detector....inexpensive counter measure to help ensure this never happens to anyone on my boat!

@Julian, tell me more about the fume detector. Where did you get it and how easy is it to hook up. This makes sense for my 2 stroke for sure

As gasoline fumes are heavier than air, I realize they can "pool" in the lower engine area. Still, just prior to starting I always open the engine hatch to allow it to have a big breath of fresh air. I usually have the blower running while backing in as well.

Am I helping by opening up the hatch or really not doing anything? I close it for engine start.

I think opening the hatch has to help a little but the vent serves an important function since the gas fumes are heavier than air and sink near the bottom where the vent pulls from.

My concern isn't the initial start since I think a lot of us use the vent as we should initially. I do not leave my vent running the entire time on the water and I have not always remembered to turn it on when swapping skiers and restarting the engines throughout the day. I will make this a habit

Those boats are probably carbureted thus have open throttle bodies where the air cleaner is. This lets fumes out of the engine.

Ours are injected thus no open fumes. I think (correct me if I'm wrong) the only way we would have fumes would be if we had a leak in the fuel system somewhere.

I dont think opening the hatch would really do anything unless it were windy that day.

This is why I turn the fan on as soon as I get in the boat and start preping and then lift the engine hatch to inspect the engines........ I figure by the time I have done all that and load the gear on the boat and then launch it.... we should be good..

I do the same thing, but I think a fume detector would also be a great countermeasure. It's on the list.

I do agree that on fuel injected engines you would have the problem due to fuel line leaks. Did I hear that the 2015 or 2016s Yamahas had a feature that the blowers came on automatically?

Some of the '14s have an automatic blower, but I don't know how effective it is. I assume all the '15s and '16s would have it.

Personally, I flip the blower on as soon as I park for prep at the launch. @njmr2fan I'd start the blower with the hatch closed so it can get the heavy fumes out of the bottom. Leave it running for 20 seconds or so, then open the hatch while doing whatever else you do. I'd just be concerned that opening the hatch would waft the fumes to a spot that isn't very well vented by the blower. Strictly conjecture, but it's what I do and I haven't blown up yet! :cool:

Opening up the hatch on our style boats will help a lot. If there's Even the slightest amount of fuel, you should be able to smell it. Any leak in an enclosed space can prove to be deadly, find the source before running the boat.

oh thats terrible!

i open and inspect, whilst running blowers before every outing. blowers left on nearly indefinitely. only if we're going to be completely stopped for extended periods do they go back off. and...as stated above, mine IS a carbureted boat, this is a MUCH bigger issue. But still important.

freaks me out.

@Julian, tell me more about the fume detector. Where did you get it and how easy is it to hook up. This makes sense for my 2 stroke for sure

Sorry for slow reply...have been at a meeting in Chicago all day. There is a link in my signature with lots of info.

It is an easy install....I bought mine online...perhaps my post says where....I don't recall off the top of my head.

Back