• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Catastrophic Failure... (pic heavy)

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
...of my Yamaha mooring cover

Bought from dealer in August 2009 when I bought my boat.

Cover was fine one moment going down the freeway about 65 mph... next glance in the mirror, it looked like a horizontal spinnaker. It had no visible tears before it failed Saturday.

I suspect the lateral tear by the front support pole was the first. Then, it inflated like a ballon and ripped all over in seconds.

I always towed with cover on, never with poles in - except sometimes to/from storage 8 miles away (as I was doing when it tore :rolleyes: ).

I hand cleaned and waterproofed it about a month ago. It has been in the driveway approx 4 weeks each summer, otherwise it has always been stored indoors. Disappointed, I was hoping it would last a couple more years.

image.jpgimage.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

My cover did the same thing years ago but I was able to salvage the front end and use it like an auto bra. If you are going to junk the cover consider saving a few of the components like the vents, belly strap and ratchets.

Bummer on the cover but you got your money's worth out of it. Mine is on its way out as well.

That is a real shame and sorry it disintegrated. I don't know, I have been a proponent of no poles while towing, primarily because that is what Commercial Fabric said about that cover. I notice my new cover, that didn't sag when on the boat (no poles) in the barn, is starting to sag when I am trying to pull it on. My wife suggested that it was the suction created while trailering. We just did the Broken Bow run, about 360 miles round trip at 70-75 mph most of the way. It is the new Deluxe cover and it is also heavier than the old deluxe cover, not as heavy as the Premium, which is designed to be towed "poles in". I still feel that it is a great cover for the money with a custom fit and easy install, to serve as a mooring and trailering cover. But I am disappointed at the results some guys have with it. You sure can't say it is UV in WI vs FL, CA, or AZ. But they do get dry and it is obvious now that I see my new cover and remember the old one being thin and dry comparatively. At least 4 seasons, almost 5 right? That is pretty good longevity. That is about $120/yr at full retail, but we have all been able to buy them for around $450 through Yamaha Sports Plaza, so that is only $90/yr. Nothing makes it taste better, but have a cold one, give a nod to Yamaha Sports Plaza, and enjoy a thicker, more durable, brand new cover! But there are other options as well. Sorry the dang thing gave out!

Oh crap. I'm indoors 100% of the time but have a 3 hour round trip to go boating. Will be interesting to see how much longer mine lasts. (New cover in August of 2010 on a leftover '09 boat.)

That sucks about the cover. Maybe it's just me but these covers seem too expensive to last but a few years, especially for someone like you who stores it indoors most of the time.

$90/year is a helluva nice spin on it though. It almost seems reasonable. ;)

2014-2009=5 years, right? I'd say thats about normal lifetime for a cover. :)

One thing I realized where I previously stored my boat is that it was probably outside far more than I thought it was. After my boat was hit, I had people at work telling me they would see it from the road when driving by.

Now, I only use the cover for long distance trips, never local as they put boats inside every night. I hope this helps the cover last longer since it's been in a storage bin most of the summer.

No matter how long they last it's cheaper replacing the cover then replace sun damaged seats

No matter how long they last it's cheaper replacing the cover then replace sun damaged seats
I agree. I consider the cover to be a sacrificial "normal wear" item. It takes the beating to protect what's underneath.

My cover is the original from 2007 and with the exception of each buckle breaking this year, it has served us well. When the first buckle broke, I was on the highway and the cover flapped around enough to get a small puncture from a cleat. We were able to patch that and replace the buckle. Now, it seems like every week another buckle breaks, but no other damage. I will change the final buckle this weekend and hopefully that will be the end of cover maintenance.

I had that happen to an old boat cover (non-yamaha). Looked like a grenade went off inside it. Mine was fatigued from too much UV. Cam.

I only own the shipping cover. If my boat is outside, I'm in it. Otherwise, she is inside.....I guess I need to think if the future and pick up a cover.

Dang! Mine is due to do the same thing any trip now!

I guess storing the boat inside out of the sun is what has kept mine from exploding after all these years (11). I still tow with it on, no poles ever - I don't even know where they are.

I install my bow cover under the cover when I tow. It prevents the front of the cover from pushing down too far and I suppose it keeps it from stressing the seams as well.

All in all I have zero complaints about my cover. :cool:

With no question, @Glassman , the sun is what eats up these covers. Keeping your cover (and boat) out of the sun is awesome. I wish I had the ability to do that!

Thanks for all the feedback. I estimate the boat has been towed with that cover on for about 3750 - 4000 miles over almost exactly 5 years (3 weeks shy, to be precise).
I agree with the comments that I got reasonable life out of the cover. I would have preferred more, of course.

I posted pix mainly due to the impressive nature and multiple of locations of the blowout. Also, because I suspect towing (even for short distances) on the freeway with the poles in contributed to the cover's failure.

I had already ordered a Yamaha factory replacement from Yamaha Sports Plaza, was just over $480+ shipping for total of $508.
The shipping cover got tossed last year - was still pristine except that a colony of mice made a home in it in the garage...it was too nasty to keep.

Now, waiting for her real cover to arrive, my proud SX230 is hiding under a dark green, $25 nylon weave tarp from the hardware store. :eek::depressed::sorry:

Of course, we can take some solace in that we are defiantly violating the HOA until our cover arrives and ends the driveway vigil. :cool:

There are few things I hate. However, a HOA is definitely on that list!

When I was driving my boat home from purchasing it the OEM cover ripped apart. It was then 3 years old and had been in the intense CA sun. At that time I didn't know about the problem of losing a cushion when the boat isn't covered and the windshield and lower door aren't closed. That was an expensive trip home.

Today I use a less expensive aftermarket cover to stow the boat in the sun. I use the Yamaha cover only when trailering distances over 50 miles; consequently the expensive Yamaha cover is in the garage and in like new condition for when I want to use it.

Back