• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Changing plugs , now I'm sick

Lawson2479

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Changing plugs today and on installing the 4th plug the threaded barrel sheared off. I was using a torque wrench. Have been changing plugs since I bought it in 07. It felt fine going in. tightening easy and was waiting for the click when it just gave way. Thought I was going to throw up. I will call the dealership in A.M and see when I can get it in. Hopefully won't be out of commission long. I don't know if they will have to pull the head or not. We will see tomorrow. I guess no lake this weekend.

Here is the pic of the plug:
photo.JPG

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I wonder if you could use some sort of extractor to back it out?

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
An easy out should be able to back spin it no
problem

Volffas

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Man, that really sucks. Keep us up to date on what you figure out. I am hoping to change my spark plugs with @wakeformer in the next couple of weeks. Here's hoping we don't run into any issues.

I know you said you have been changing them since you bought the boat, but have you been changing them every year? If not when was the last time you changed them? But I guess with a new plug that really shouldn't matter.

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
If it snapped off before it got tight, there's a good chance you could even stick your pinky in there and thread it back out. It should be very loose now with nothing in the middle of it. I've seen this happen many times, never a problem getting it back out.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
yikes! that is a bad feeling to have, I would try the easy out or something else that may be could expand or bite into it before I took it to the dealer, it can't be that tight if the torque wrench didn't click, good luck and let us know what happens,

Lawson2479

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I am going to to auto zone and Lowes at 7. dealership does not open till 8 and it is an hour away. The extractor set I have is not large enough. I wish those plugs were not down in that hole. And of course it has to be the back one which makes it even harder to see.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
if you find something you think might work it may be worth while to take the engine hatch off. I beleive it's just the gas struts and the hinge,

Lawson2479

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That's a good idea. What would or would you pour something down into the cylinder and suck it back out with my oil extractor to make sure there was no metal particles if I am able to get it out.

-klb-

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Depends how it feels coming out. Does it feel like you scraped shavings out with the extractor? Do you see signs of cuttings removed from the piece that comes out? My best guess is that you won't have any issues getting it out, and won't have any signs of shavings being taken. But if you have small evidence, I think blowing out with compressed air is probably your best bet.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Even a PVC pipe nipple extractor might work, if it goes small enough.
X 2 on this, the kind used to back out what's left when a lawn sprinkler breaks off at the PVC connection, long and thin, right?

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I would use something to neck a shop vac hose down small enough to get in there and suck any loose debris out before trying to remove the threads. Perhaps a big straw duct taped to the hose.

ToddW850

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Oh man that sucks! Good luck

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Definitely go the easy out route before bringing it to the dealer. You may be able to break the threads off of one of the old (removed) spark plugs to practice on before attacking the one stuck in the head. That way you will also be able to determine the correct easy out size. You may also want to spray some penetrating fluid on the threads to help ease it out.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I would use something to neck a shop vac hose down small enough to get in there and suck any loose debris out before trying to remove the threads. Perhaps a big straw duct taped to the hose.
I agree with this as blowing air will just force things into the engine.

Lawson2479

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I will use the shop vac to suck stuff out and I went down and cut the end off an old plug to see exactly what might fit into the barrel to try to remove it. If everything goes smooth or not I'll keep you posted. If I get it out I'll write it up with what I used. It might help in the future. Though I hope no one ever has this problem.

Johmas50

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Good luck on the repair, if you all make it out we are headed to Laurel tomorrow for a short cruise and to drop the boat at dry storage for the season. If you make it out and see us there, give us a yell.

Lawson2479

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That was my plan for tomorrow. Short cruise with the family but instead....

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length