• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Clean out plug blowout

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Yes the bottom of the plug can be replaced and the gasket , this will make installing and removing the plug easy if you have a plug that is stuck or difficult to install the part number for the bottom kit is FOR-67609-09-00 Available for about 45 dollars a plug last time I checked
. .Manhole Cover Repair Set

F0R-67609-09-00 $45.25 checking with Babbits, other places may be less expensive

2015 SX210

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks. They are actually pretty clean as far as dirt/grime. Lots of grease on them though, I’m assuming from the dealer??? They are both very easy to put in and remove.

Should I remove as much of the grease as I can?

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks. They are actually pretty clean as far as dirt/grime. Lots of grease on them though, I’m assuming from the dealer??? They are both very easy to put in and remove.

Should I remove as much of the grease as I can?
Depending on what the grease is it may cause the lower portions of the plugs to swell and stick.

My perspective is that the best practice is to never lubricate the plug exterior, always remove the plugs and place them across the holes when not using the boat and to replace the lower half if they become sticky.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I am not a big fan of greasing the plug gaskets because sand and grit can stick to the grease causing issues down the road.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I had 2 blow outs before I installed ez-lock. I was very wary of blow outs and pulled strongly and diligently to check my work before departing, so while user error may be an issue, I can attest to witnessing a blow out that I blame solely on the plug. My theory is that as the plug gets older and the internals wear a bit, the plug is more likely to come undone on its own. Don't think you are safe just because you checked the plug and it did not pull out.

2015 SX210

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I will definitely clean off as much grease as I can. Should I use any chemicals or just rags and elbow grease?

The ez locks were easy to install! Awesome buy I must say.

Last edited:

Billtex2000

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

Dennis P

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Hi Guys , Just purchased the repair kits , Parker Yamaha, $39.99. The dealer here in Quebec Canada wanted $82 each. I ship to a mail depot just south of the border so no duty. BTW are there a port and starboard ? I assumed the same part # for both sides.....And I ordered the EZ Locks from JT for a total over haul.

Last edited:

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
No @Dennis P the plugs are ambidextrous. Do you also have the EZ locks to prevent plug blowouts?

Liveto99

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
What year did they switch to the twist plugs? I see no way for those to blow out.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
The push button plugs were from 2000 to 2016 in 2017 they went to the new plug

Nauti-Nurse

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm still learning many of the differences between Waverunners and the Jet Boats... My 2018 AR190 has the newer twist lock and was impossible (for me at home) to remove right after I had bought it. Turns out that the outer flange/rim of rubber had gotten pinched during what must have been someones removal and then Hulk smash and twist to get it back in. So Yamaha warranty covered that issue the first week I owned it. What caused me to look and learn about the plug removal in the first place was that the entire cylinder that goes down to the plug was full of water without any water going in from the top side as in through the wet storage. After a new plug was installed the entire cylinder is still filled to the brim on every trip... Is this normal????

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I'm still learning many of the differences between Waverunners and the Jet Boats... My 2018 AR190 has the newer twist lock and was impossible (for me at home) to remove right after I had bought it. Turns out that the outer flange/rim of rubber had gotten pinched during what must have been someones removal and then Hulk smash and twist to get it back in. So Yamaha warranty covered that issue the first week I owned it. What caused me to look and learn about the plug removal in the first place was that the entire cylinder that goes down to the plug was full of water without any water going in from the top side as in through the wet storage. After a new plug was installed the entire cylinder is still filled to the brim on every trip... Is this normal????
Yes this is normal. Water can get into that compartment two ways (normally). First by water washing over the swim platform and 2nd by backing up though the tray drain into the compartment.

Nauti-Nurse

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Julian Just to clarify what you are saying... The clean out plug port that I can fit my arm all the way to my elbow to reach the unlock handle, will always be filled with water after running the boat? I have a rubber trim around the wet storage, when closed wouldn't that minimize water going into the wet storage as my kids repeatedly jump off and re-board? I'm saying that even a sunday evening ride to go to dinner with no one getting on and off and my pump out port is filled with water. So my clarification question is is it normal for the pump to force some water up through the pump out port or is that thing supposed to be water tight when locked into place?

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
the water may not be forced in, but I think the water may come up the same drain hole it goes out of, in rough weather or when driving at slow speeds with the bow up. It may be filled by folks coming in and out as that gasket is not perfect...BUT the pump should not push water in there. I think Julian is referring to water potentially coming up the drain hole, not via the jet pump/clean out port.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Julian Just to clarify what you are saying... The clean out plug port that I can fit my arm all the way to my elbow to reach the unlock handle, will always be filled with water after running the boat? I have a rubber trim around the wet storage, when closed wouldn't that minimize water going into the wet storage as my kids repeatedly jump off and re-board? I'm saying that even a sunday evening ride to go to dinner with no one getting on and off and my pump out port is filled with water. So my clarification question is is it normal for the pump to force some water up through the pump out port or is that thing supposed to be water tight when locked into place?

In addition to many other ways that water gets inside the clean out port hatch, when the boat stops quickly water often flows over the swim deck.

The clean out plugs are sealed to prevent water under the pump's pressure from coming up around them. The seals also prevent any water that gets on top of the plug from escaping. If that seal failed it would be like a leak in a fire hose!

Occasionally I drive smoothly on the water and find minimal water on top of the cleanout plugs. Most of the time I have inches of water on top of the plugs.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Also, I you slow down a certain way, your own wake will overtake your stern and may contribute.

EDIT: Never Mind, Bruce had posted this above me more eloquently while I was not looking.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Yup....others have covered this well, although I'd like to get video of this at some point to prove the theory! When you come off plane to a "halt", the void behind the boat gets filled in with water. Come off plane too fast and it will wash over your stern platform first level often. It will also go under your 2nd step (without going on top of it). It will also create pressure on the transom and force water up the clean out tray drain. Both of these result in water on top of the plugs.

If you NEVER have water on top of your plugs, you either have an older boat with a higher transom, or your plugs may well be leaking....allowing this water to drain out through the seal!

Chucktrex

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My 2018 AR190 is in the shop right now. My plug blew out 2 times. The first time I took the blame but the next time was not my fault. Something malfunctioned. In theory. My wife should be able to remove/install that plug. There was no time in the last year that this was possible. It never came out or went in easy. When it blew out last time. It broke the latches on the wet storage lid and a piece of the lock went into the pump. I started it up and could hear something was wrong. I pulled the boat out and brought it to the dealer. I’m hoping Yamaha foots this bill. I bought a brand new boat so I didn’t have to deal with this crap.

sunbyrned

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
My 2018 AR190 is in the shop right now. My plug blew out 2 times. The first time I took the blame but the next time was not my fault. Something malfunctioned. In theory. My wife should be able to remove/install that plug. There was no time in the last year that this was possible. It never came out or went in easy. When it blew out last time. It broke the latches on the wet storage lid and a piece of the lock went into the pump. I started it up and could hear something was wrong. I pulled the boat out and brought it to the dealer. I’m hoping Yamaha foots this bill. I bought a brand new boat so I didn’t have to deal with this crap.
Did water fill the engine compartment or get into the engines? I’m asking for insurance purposes.