• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Clean outs hard to install

Brad Dunn

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
We need to use a stick and hammer know to install are clean outs. Is there a secret or better system. ?

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Do you remove them after each use?
Are there any visual issues with the plug or tube?

Brad Dunn

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
No only remove when needed. Lots of debris In our lake right know so needed to a few times. No visual issue.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The only time in 11 years I've had a problem removing my plugs was when I left the boat in the water for 6 days with the plugs in, after removing and drying out they've slid in/out without any issues,

I would suggest taking them out and letting them dry out, be sure the tube and especially the metal portion where the dogs lock are clean and free of build up,

hopefully after they dry out for a day or two and everything is clean they will drop back in, I would suggest only inserting the day you're boating and remove afterwards,

you may end up needing a rebuild kit,

Thunderseye

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
The only time in 11 years I've had a problem removing my plugs was when I left the boat in the water for 6 days with the plugs in, after removing and drying out they've slid in/out without any issues,

I would suggest taking them out and letting them dry out, be sure the tube and especially the metal portion where the dogs lock are clean and free of build up,

hopefully after they dry out for a day or two and everything is clean they will drop back in, I would suggest only inserting the day you're boating and remove afterwards,

you may end up needing a rebuild kit,
so there is no harm with keeping the plugs out while the boat sits in a wet slip?

Thunderseye

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
We need to use a stick and hammer know to install are clean outs. Is there a secret or better system. ?
we had that issue, rebuilt them which is pretty cheap, I keep a can of spray marine lube in the boat, if they stick a little i just spray some on. I swore it was just me not being coordinated enough to put them back in but after the rebuild it was like butter.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
I keep a can of spray marine lube in the boat, if they stick a little i just spray some on.
THIS! I don't keep it on the boat, but I have a can of silicone lubricant I spray on the cleanout plug seals and drain plug to help keep the rubber soft and slick. I spray them a quick shot every couple of weeks, and plan to spray all the seals for winter storage.

bobholthaus

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
In the manual of my 2020 242 SE they recommend a Yamaha marine lube for those gaskets. If you can’t find it let me know and I’ll let you know what it’s called. I need some as mine are a pain and the boat is only 4 weeks old!

Inthrustwetrust

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
In the manual of my 2020 242 SE they recommend a Yamaha marine lube for those gaskets. If you can’t find it let me know and I’ll let you know what it’s called. I need some as mine are a pain and the boat is only 4 weeks old!
my 2020 started sticking, I just use the silicone Yamaha lube spray. Dealer slathered marine grease on them at the 10 hour. Worked but it made a mess every time I take them out. I take mine out after every outing at the dealers advice. That rubber expands with heat/moisture and they no longer become plugs but permanent fixtures.

bobholthaus

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
my 2020 started sticking, I just use the silicone Yamaha lube spray. Dealer slathered marine grease on them at the 10 hour. Worked but it made a mess every time I take them out. I take mine out after every outing at the dealers advice. That rubber expands with heat/moisture and they no longer become plugs but permanent fixtures.
Thanks I’ll buy some when I pick it up. In for 10 hr now.

NorfolkJames

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Use BoShield T-9 on the Clean Out Plugs and the Drain Plugs.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Any Silicone spray will work for these plugs. And on the OP's 2016, a rebuild is recommended if drying them out doesn't help.

I have used the Yamaha Silicone spray, as I had it laying around. But now that it has run out, I am switching to WD-40 Silicone spray, as it's just more readily available. And yes, these need to be pulled on a regular basis if anything to let the water out of the tubes above the plug.

Good luck!

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
No amount of lubrication now will fix swollen plugs. As DRAT says below, order the rebuild kits (SUPER EASY) and just rebuild them. If it takes you longer than 20 minutes to do it, its because you stopped for a beer between unscrewing the two plugs! Trust me....you will be delighted with how they work after you replace the bottom halfs (that is all it involves...6-8 screws on each plug)

i had the same issue, rebuilt them and now all good. i had problems with the rebuild but they were self-induced. it's normally super easy. here is a link

Canuckjetboater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
@Brad Dunn ...."a hammer and a stick".....you're kidding right? LOL Remove them, clean them, let them dry thoroughly then wipe Yamaha grease around the seal. For this Yamaha recommends PN ACC-GREAS-10CT or you can use Yamaha Marine Grease or Yamaha Grease A. Some members use a spray silicone. If you do I recommend the Yamaha brand as it will not cause the rubber seals to swell as some silicones do.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Since this popped up on my recent thereads...
I have had my issues over the years with mine and learned new things every year.
Keep them dry unless in use.
Spray lube like silivone spray down the tube and on the mechanisms.
Use a semi soft brush to clear debris and buildup of oxidation from time to time.
The rebuild kit works when you have reached that point where the plastic has swelled. Swelling happens because water is stuck and has corroded things and caused buildup.
And this year i learned that the big black pipe which is actually marine exhaust pipe is installed with silicone on the base and that silicone may have been a bit liberal and is intruding into the hole where the dogs catch. Not only that but the clamp that attaches can be in the position of pushing the rubber into those holes as well. Remove hose and gobs of silicone, the put some new back on and make sure clamp is as low as possible yet still evenly around hose (not an angle)

Hope that sums up most of what people will encounter!

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
@Brad Dunn ...."a hammer and a stick".....you're kidding right? LOL Remove them, clean them, let them dry thoroughly then wipe Yamaha grease around the seal. For this Yamaha recommends PN ACC-GREAS-10CT or you can use Yamaha Marine Grease or Yamaha Grease A. Some members use a spray silicone. If you do I recommend the Yamaha brand as it will not cause the rubber seals to swell as some silicones do.
Hey man no hatin. I keep an old prybar in mine so i can wrap a rope to pull them out!
Hooe i fixed my issues but seriously more hassle 99% of the time.

Brad Dunn

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Well when your out on the lake and a stick stuck in jet. 2 of us tried to get them them in for a half hour. Next hammer comes out. I have them out drying and got some silicone to lube them. I’ll try that.