• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Clean your hull for 50¢

MOA_Chaser

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Of course, buying anything with "marine" in the name automatically raises the price of the product astronomically... so I've been trying different stuff to clean the waterline stains off my hull. Here in western PA, there's a lot of iron and other junk in the water, and I get an orange tint on my hull after even one outing.

Total initial investment: $3.50.

Dollar General has a sponge mop for $2.50. Yes, it's flimsy, but it's more than sturdy enough for this job and it's VERY lightweight. The other dollar goes to a bottle of The Works tub and tile cleaner.

I use a pressure washer to get the bigger stuff off the hull and to wet it... then liberally apply The Works to the sponge mop all over the hull. I don't know if it will work just by sitting, because it seems to melt away the hard water stains as I'm doing it. The mop makes it easy to get around the nozzles and all those other areas, and you never get the stuff on your hands. Just rinse thoroughly and you're done.

I use about a half bottle of The Works each time I do it. I do this every 4 or 5 trips and the hull easily returns to bright white every time. At only 50¢ per application, it "Works" for me!

dbrunone

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
NA
Yup, The Works is essentially hydrochloric (muriatic) acid with some other cleaning agents in there. If you've ever heard of "acid wash" for a boat, this is what it is. Not particularly harmful to gelcoat, so that's good. You can try getting a bottle of muriatic acid at your local hardware store, might be even cheaper after dilution to the same level as The Works.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
If you knew what the dilution rate was. This isn't a too environmentally friendly stuff and needs to be neutralized it diluted heavily. Not intending a debate, but don't use this stuff in your boat slip on the lift. Just worth a consideration about it. I have used worse that is for sure.

MOA_Chaser

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Yes, I have muriatic acid too; I don't like working with it unless I have to. It sizzles away the limestone in my driveway, the fumes are nasty, and I've even had the fumes corrode chromed fixtures my bathroom when I used it for a tough shower stain. The Works is somewhat gentler to work with and more convenient for me. I always clean the hull in my driveway, never in the water.

Kevin M

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
My salesperson at my local Yamaha dealer told me to use muratic acid to clean my galvanized trailer. I haven't but was wondering if that's true or not.

MOA_Chaser

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I would be hesitant to use acid to clean any type of metal...

Evil Sports

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
This is theNastiest stuff but nothing works better. Not for the environmentally responsible.

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I use the On Off also. I believe it contains muriatic acid. You DO NOT want to get this on your galvanized trailer as it will eat away at the galvanization. I apply it with a sponge mop rather than spraying it to control where it goes.

davel501

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I like Acid Magic and it is only like $8 for a gallon.

MutherTucker

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I also use vinegar and water. half gallon to clean whole hull. works like a charm and it's so safe, you could drink it! ;)

Glassman

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
This is the Nastiest stuff but nothing works better. Not for the environmentally responsible.
Man, you got THAT right!

I personally wouldn't use this after every single outing unless the water you boat in is soooo bad that you really need it - and if that's the case, I'd find someplace else to boat! :eek:

A couple of times a season or when putting the boat to bed at the end of the season, sure, this stuff does work well. Just don't breathe it in or get it on your skin.

And seriously consider using a good polish and wax after cleaning. It should help reduce the return of stains. ;)

latitudeadjuster

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I pull my boat out every week to clean hull, mainly with my old boat 2006 sx230 with a white bottom. I use the Attwood Hull cleaner from Walmart.,......stuff is amazing and hasn't been harsh on my boat on the 8 years I owned it. It last a few cleanings, not bad for $11. I put a little in bottom of 5 gallon and use my designated hull cleaner brush and simple brush it off. You see the crud disappear and white is back.....def recommend. I will still use on my new 212X. Its a back bottom which is nice as it doesn't drive me crazy seeing the water line every day. Sometime this Attwood has a $6 rebate for two......that's even better....yes im frugal.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I tried "The Works" and it worked well, but didn't get all the water line off the hull. Cleaned everything else off quickly. Used Starbright hull cleaner for the last bits of stubborn "stain". I will use "The Works" again for first pass cleaning. Keep in mind, my boat hadn't been washed all season and was on its Airdock in the lake the whole time....so this stuff did a good job.

MOA_Chaser

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Glad to hear it... I never meant that The Works is the all-time best hull cleaner when compared to marine-specific products, but for the convenience, availability and price, I think it's a great product.

Sarb

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LX
Boat Length
This think eats through plastic and even concrete. I melted my sprayer, and removed the upper layer of the concrete in my garage.
Use with care. Be careful with all the plastic parts.

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
On/Off comes in a gel, too - less likely to drip on things like your trailer. Either way though, nasty stuff but works incredibly well.