• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Cobra fins. Yes or no?

farrelltravis

Jetboaters Captain
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Marvin willis Just want to let you know, any type of fin is not a necessity. I love my boat without the aide of any steering enhancement. Just wanted to throw out my opinion.

mark_m

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Mark you will love the boat but the slow speed steering is a little tricky at first. My first time out it was blowing 30 mph with a strong current. Didn't think I was ever gonna get to the dock. The wind was blowing me away from where I was trying to go. Also YouTube how to dock these boats
Thank you for the feedback. I went ahead and pulled the trigger on a set, thank you @Cobra Jet Steering LLC for the smooth, prompt transaction. My goal is to get installed and reduce the learning curve for me and others to pilot the boat.

Thanks!
Mark

nd4spd

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm intrigued with "AK" version. Anyone have good feedback on the difference/enhancements of these once added? Also, from the pics it does not appear that they are spring loaded... Any info would be helpful.
Thanks,
Mark

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
There are several posts from people who use them, just do a search on the magnum ak series

nd4spd

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks Jeff,
I just did a search as you suggested and found many helpful comments, etc. which have confirmed my desire to add these to my '15 AR240. I see I missed a sale opportunity on the AK series last month. Any chance it's still going on or if your planning another one before spring (all relative to your location I suppose, I'm up in Wisconsin so, yeah I have a few months yet)..? :)
Thanks again and I to share my condolences for the loss of your father along the many others on this forum.
Mark

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
The sale on the a k series as well as the ultimates is still in effect , it ends on Dec 30 you just need to email me, jeff@cobrajetsteering.com so I can send you the sale invoice.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Love my Ultimates!!! They got rid of that nasty left to right wander while at low speeds not to mention all of the other shortcomings of stock jet boat steering.

Get them!!

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Thank you for your feedback on the ultimates.
Occasionally I hear that people do not fully understand the Ultimate steering systems capability of controlling the boat at HIGH speed as well as LOW speed with straight tracking and instant response to the helm when set in the fully deployed mode it will even steer the boat in an off power situation , even after you pull the throttles back to neutral while on plane.
We used a 24 foot Yamaha and performed a very tight S turn with the throttles pulled back to neutral from a W O T run. The boat owner was in total disbelief even though he was the one driving the boat. In a reactionary collision avoidance situation this is very important , especially for a new jet boat operator. Having enhanced steering capabilities in all speed ranges is also important when engaging in water sports.
For those who are not familiar with these fins another misconception is that they lock down in fully deployed mode, the fins are actually held down by two different forces, the actuator rides under the jet propulsion stream exiting the nozzle and this force is the main one that keeps them deployed, a torsion spring is also there for backup in the event your engine thrust is reduced or shut off completely additionally the spring holds the fins down when in reverse as the thrust is being redirected under the boat when the gate is lowered.
Another important factor is the fins ability to flip up if you contact a fixed or submerged object. One more unique benefit of the ultimate set is their ability to be adjusted to a variety of settings to increase or decrease the amount of influence they provide. And for those who only want some assistance in the slow mode the ULTIMATES Actuator can be set to raise the fins at high speed .
This system is also on sale however that sale will end tomorrow.
https://jetboaters.net/threads/dont-forget-to-take-advantage-of-the-sale-on-cobra-steering-ez-locks.7943/

atompa

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I just recently ordered and installed a set of Ultimates and couldn't be happier at this point (prior to any water test). Jeff is the benchmark of a customer focused businessman. I bought my fins at 10am and was notified of shipment before noon, and received them in MI (from FL) in two days. Additionally, he took time out of his day AFTER the transaction was complete to answer six or seven follow-up emails on a variety of topics, none of which remotely associated with the fin purchase.

Installation? A breeze (seriously, a matter of an hour), just pre-soak the factory bolts in WD to avoid breaking a head off, severely complicating the mod. Thanks Jeff, you're a class act. @Cobra Jet Steering LLC
12674903_10100460965570172_1054730001_o.jpg

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Thank you for your feedback, I always look forward to it here and on facebook. Funny about quick shipping, Today I went to ship orders from yesterday, I was surprised that the post office was empty, it seems that their computers are on VERIZON so the post office is out of service due to the issues with their system.

atompa

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Alright... I was optimistic, sure, but I never expected @Cobra Jet Steering LLC to deliver THAT much improvement... Unreal...

Fins fully down, 100%, and that's all it took to get the guy I went out with (who happens to own Seadoo Islandia) to shake is head in astonishment. We made it to Hooters on our first day out and the place was FULL of people staring, waiting for me to fail miserably at docking.... Nailed it... And not just nailed it, but docked better than an I/O. Thinking it was pure luck, it happened again back at the launch ramp.

Jeff, FYI - not only should you expect an order from the man who owns the Islandia (not sure if you make a kit for this model), but a couple at Hooters. They own a 2011 242sx and were about to upgrade to the 2015 because of the 'rudder', they couldn't wait to get home to place an order after I told them about Cobra.

Yes 100% puts a load on the helm, but I was able to 'slalom' through floating debris today like a racer. Thanks Jeff, this boat is now complete (minus all the other great mods you all talk about!).

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other

atompa

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Jeff!!! But I just put mine on!!! Is the decreased tension and force on the helm considerably lower?

Also, my friend will be thrilled to hear that you have a kit available... You may want to mention this upgrade also.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
The upgrade is for people who want a power steering effect and even more reverse control, they are for the Ultimate and Magnum steering systems to allow you to run the steering all the way down all the time with power assist to reduce the resistance in the helm , these special fins basically turn the nozzles for you at speed, plus they help confine the reverse thrust when it exits the opening on the bottom of the nozzle, it's just an option to make a great system even better for people who think they would benefit from the added features.

DUSTOFF

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
@Cobra Jet Steering LLC - Do the fins have to be "all the way down all the time" for the power assist to reduce the resistance?
I keep my fins in the mid position.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other