• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

CoVID-19 / SARS-CoV-2 Information and Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
That is from almost two years ago before team science changed the recommendations. I thought it was funny to go back and read what was said…they were advocating people wear bandanas as face masks. ;)

I’ll edit my post to make the timeframe clearer.
Well funny you say that. Ok I was confused but this theme is rising up again. I've heard rumblings about it amongst "leadership" and it's making me mad. So you just may be a prophet. Lol

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
The mask debate is so pathetic. All I say to anti maskers is "if they don't work, then next time you have surgery be sure to tell your surgical team they don't need to wear them as they don't work". Then Darwin can remove them from the gene pool.

Jim_in_Delaware

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Maybe KN95 underwear would help your friend! 😆

Nope, unfortunately, even this wouldn't help!

Trevor Makal, a professor at the University of Virginia, posted this on Twitter to share his take on the question and here is part of his response: Let's consider the size of the molecules that make up the stink smell in farts. We'll focus on one particular example, as the others are similarly sized (when compared to the size of a virus). Methanthiol (CH3SH), like a number of thiol (-SH) containing molecules, smells! ... Well, CH3SH is a rather small molecule with a diameter around 4*10^-10 m (0.4 nm, about 1.6*10^-8 inches). By comparison, viruses typically range in diameter from about 20 nm up to about 400 nm (J. Biol. Phys., 2013, 39(2), 215), with COVID-19 being around 60-140 nm (Cell. Mol. Immun., 2020, https://doi.org/10.1038/s41423-020-0407-x). The difference in sizes of the COVID-19 virus and a common odorant in farts is 2-3 orders of magnitude (100–1000 times the diameter of the smaller methanethiol).

Jim

crazy4life

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
For anyone who thinks sugical masks do anything to prevent viral transmission of Covid should read these studies. There is a plethora of studies disproving that myth. It has been proven time and time again that a surgical mask does nothing to prevent the viral transmission of Covid. I wear a N95 mask everywhere I go and at all times when in public. “N95 masks offer protection against particles as small as 0.3 microns in size, and while the coronavirus itself is around 0.1 microns in size, it’s usually attached to something larger, such as droplets that are generated by everyday activities like breathing and talking,”
“In general,” says Sean Kelly, founder of New Jersey-based PPE of America, “N95 is the U.S. standard, and the KN95 is the China standard.” Because of this, only N95 masks are approved for health-care use in the United States, even though KN95 masks have many of the same protective properties.

Wear a mask don't wear a mask makes no difference to me. But if you are looking for the best protection from covid without going to full blown respirators the N95 mask is the most convenient and abundant way in my opinion.

"Disposable medical masks (also known as surgical masks) are loose-fitting devices that were designed to be worn by medical personnel to protect accidental contamination of patient wounds, and to protect the wearer against splashes or sprays of bodily fluids (36). There is limited evidence for their effectiveness in preventing influenza virus transmission either when worn by the infected person for source control or when worn by uninfected persons to reduce exposure. Our systematic review found no significant effect of face masks on transmission of laboratory-confirmed influenza."

"While a surgical mask may be effective in blocking splashes and large-particle droplets, a face mask, by design, it does not filter or block very small particles in the air that may be transmitted by coughs, sneezes, or certain medical procedures. Surgical masks also do not provide complete protection from germs and other contaminants because of the loose fit between the surface of the mask and your face."

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

It has been determined the amount of exposure also plays a part... loosely fitting masks certainly cannot prevent ALL virus from traveling in the air, but if they contain a sneeze, the impact may be enough to prevent the spread in that particular situation. It would seem this study encountered exactly that outcome, and fewer people do get sick when all are wearing a mask. (Disagree?)

I have also read a greater virus quantity exposure also is associated with worse symptoms, something which anecdotally I encountered at home too.

For the question: Do loose fitting masks stop all infections from occuring? The answer is NO.

For the question: Do fewer people get sick if mask is worn in areas with lots of people where some might be sick and don't know it. The answer seems to clearly be YES.

Must we settle only for perfection and not wear masks since someone might still get sick??? Why not wear them in areas of great exposure to reduce the number of transmissions? (Yes, Not eliminate them sure, but reduce, yes, specially when hospitals are to the brim with packed ICUs.)

Last edited:

Jim_in_Delaware

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
There is some good information posted above. :winkingthumbsup"

We have discussed this before, but masks are not the end all when it comes to virus protection. They are one of the many tools in our toolbox. Other tools include social distancing (this does not have to mean stay home) and continuing to wash/disinfect our hands. Of course the best tool to staying healthy is to get vaccinated (and boosted as appropriate).

Jim

the MfM

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
The mask debate is so pathetic. All I say to anti maskers is "if they don't work, then next time you have surgery be sure to tell your surgical team they don't need to wear them as they don't work". Then Darwin can remove them from the gene pool.
A bit of a stretch…Everyone on the team would know how to use a mask and follow protocols. If n95’s are called for they all would be fit tested and each person would be only using the brands that properly fit them.

Next time you go into a store pay attention for two minutes and see how many people are violating proper mask usage.

(Hint if it’s pulled down over their nose it’s not doing much good)

Robconn

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
As I have donned a surgical mask over my N95 mask per isolation policy while treating covid patients, I have always considered at even that level of mask protection that I was somehow micro dosing covid. Further, the severity of illness was linked to the amount of contagion.
I thought it was only a matter of when I would eventually test positive. Well that day has come.
The home testing kit was easy enough. My symptoms was like any other mild cold. I was skeptical of the home kit. Until I experienced a side effect that was not from the common cold. Covid toes. I did not recall hearing anyone discuss this symptom. It came across my feed while online. Here is a link.https://www.livescience.com/mystery-of-covid-toes-solved

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
As I have donned a surgical mask over my N95 mask per isolation policy while treating covid patients, I have always considered at even that level of mask protection that I was somehow micro dosing covid. Further, the severity of illness was linked to the amount of contagion.
I thought it was only a matter of when I would eventually test positive. Well that day has come.
The home testing kit was easy enough. My symptoms was like any other mild cold. I was skeptical of the home kit. Until I experienced a side effect that was not from the common cold. Covid toes. I did not recall hearing anyone discuss this symptom. It came across my feed while online. Here is a link.https://www.livescience.com/mystery-of-covid-toes-solved
Yeah. I've heard of it. I think it even has an icd10 code! Sorry to hear that man. Reach out to me if you need anything.

COVID also entered our house. Last week my 9 year old got it. Mild symptoms. Sent her to the basement and no one else got it.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Aren't the eyes an entry point for airborne viruses?

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Aren't the eyes an entry point for airborne viruses?
Yes they are. I remember an early interview with a South Korean expert suggesting glasses or shield as mitigation early on.

Also, touch and scratch your eye... Entry point.

I'm sure depends on what you touch, (wipe nose of suck (EDIT: I mean sick!) child?) But it's is an every point for viruses in general.

Last edited:

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I'm sure depends on what you touch, (wipe nose of suck child?) But it's is an every point for viruses in general.
all children suck, except mine. well, mine suck also. Kids are the worst

the MfM

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
The town where I live has instituted a mask mandate for all indoor public places.

I went into a coffeeshop this morning. 4 employees. 3 were wearing homemade facial decorations. 1 had a surgical mask.

One person had her mask down under her chin the whole time. One had had his mask under his nose. Another person pulled down her mask so an old lady could understand her better.

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
The town where I live has instituted a mask mandate for all indoor public places.

I went into a coffeeshop this morning. 4 employees. 3 were wearing homemade facial decorations. 1 had a surgical mask.

One person had her mask down under her chin the whole time. One had had his mask under his nose. Another person pulled down her mask so an old lady could understand her better.
Mandates alone do jack shit. Education, sense of civil responsibility, and caring about the community are equally or more important. We wouldn't need a mandate if people understood the rationale behind the mask ask.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

Jim_in_Delaware

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I would estimate that I'm seeing 70 - 75% of folks wearing masks once again, mostly all on a volunteer basis. We are in a smaller town in southeastern PA of about 6,000 people and I have seen similar masking in other towns I have recently traveled to. Still see a few folks, although not many, wearing bandanas or similar masks. Most folks still seem to stay apart in lines. One thing I don't see much of anymore is the large bottles of hand sanitizers at store entrances. I do keep a bottle in my truck and sanitize my hands when I go back to my truck.

Jim

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
….And the FDA has once again blackballed an effective outpatient treatment.

Back to “vaccine is your only option”

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
….And the FDA has once again blackballed an effective outpatient treatment.

Back to “vaccine is your only option”
Where did you get that idea from? Did I miss something in particular?

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Status
Not open for further replies.