• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Decisions <Scarab or Yamaha CC>

Jare

Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I’m retiring to Florida soon. Want to get a jet boat to fish and safe for grandkids (no prop).
Looking at Yamaha and scarab 19’ center console fishing models. Which of these are better? Reliable, easy to maintain. Stand behind warranty? Have problems? Since I’m on a limited budget, I want to TRY to find answers. Both makes, salesmen talk up theirs and down on competition. Please offer thoughts or experiences. Thanks, Jare

Drift Away

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I’m retiring to Florida soon. Want to get a jet boat to fish and safe for grandkids (no prop).
Looking at Yamaha and scarab 19’ center console fishing models. Which of these are better? Reliable, easy to maintain. Stand behind warranty? Have problems? Since I’m on a limited budget, I want to TRY to find answers. Both makes, salesmen talk up theirs and down on competition. Please offer thoughts or experiences. Thanks, Jare
Not sure what part of Florida you're going to but check out @CYCLEsPRINGS in Clearwater Florida. They're the largest Yamaha jet boat dealer in the country. Great service department, I have never had any issues the dragon or Michael, great dude's, ask for the salemen scott, hes a stand up guy.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Yamaha has been making these boats uninterupted for years and has a good track record for their entry level boats. Are they perfect....no. Scarab has only been in the jet boat market a short while, and initially had some serious quality challenges but seems to be improving quickly. Their closed loop engine cooling has some benefits in salt water, but if you are trailering, you are going to flush the engines & exhaust anyway.

They Yamaha clean outs are a key differentiatior for me. I can get my arm all the way to the grate with mine - but I don't have huge arms (your results may vary).

Cycle Springs is a great dealer, and has lots of Yamahas with custom T-Tops.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I would go with Yamaha in this case. The 1.8 drive trains are pretty much bulletproof.
Other things can be fixed.

--

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I would also ensure you DRIVE one of these boats before you buy it! They are not a perfect fishing only platform.....straight line tracking is their downfall, so if trolling is your plan....you might want an OB.

Liveto99

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I think you get used to whatever you drive boat wise. Yamaha is pretty bulletproof if you follow the instructions. Reliability is key for me so I went with Yamaha. Kids and no prop are a great combo. The boats are the same so get the cheapest one and carry a jumper pack you will save a bunch over the deluxe with the extra battery. You can make a curtain for the center consol yourself also with a $40 porta potty u have a bathroom in it. A 7” chart plotter and fishfinder, you are ready to go for 30k they finance it out for 15 years you can do it!!!!

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Welcome @Jare. My only comment would be what your local waters are like. No jetboat likes sea grass or seaweed as they plug up the jet intakes. If your boating in waters where this is not a big concern O would take a ride in both then let pricing & deal help you decide.

James Jones

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Impulse
Boat Length
Year 4 of 2017 Scarab 215. Twin 150hp engines. Everything has been flawless. Looks and acts like new. I love Yamaha, but some of the features on Scarab swayed me to them. You can't go wrong with either. Get the best deal.

GrabACabCC

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
215 ID
Boat Length
Year 4 of 2017 Scarab 215. Twin 150hp engines. Everything has been flawless. Looks and acts like new. I love Yamaha, but some of the features on Scarab swayed me to them. You can't go wrong with either. Get the best deal.
I'm ordering a 2021 215 id with twin 200hp engines. wondering if I should downsize to the 150hp engine set up. Not sure about super charger maintenance.

James Jones

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Impulse
Boat Length
I'm ordering a 2021 215 id with twin 200hp engines. wondering if I should downsize to the 150hp engine set up. Not sure about super charger maintenance.
I think the maintenance isn’t a big deal anymore. They required service every 100hrs in the past. I opted for normally aspirated simpler motors for reliability. Performance is fantastic. Acceleration is phenomenal. I never hear people say they wish they got smaller motors but 150’s are more efficient. Either way you will be happy.

thudd3r

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
the id open models are a pretty good fishing platform (i have the smaller 195id open). agree that they dont track straight at slow speeds and would suck up weeds so if you plan on doing alot of fishing, look into the optional trolling motor mount. other than that this is my second scarab and both have been solid so far

jEt_jAk

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Pros and cons to both I have owned both Scarab 165 and Yamaha 195. Yamaha better fit and finish for sure, Scarab way better slow speed maneuvering and reverse it’s not even close. Even with mods Yamaha cannot touch it.

With that being said I think I would go Yamaha, steering can be learned and adapted to and I prefer working on Yamaha engine. Various things here and there just better thought out on Yamaha in my opinion.

But honestly both are good so you can’t really go wrong in my opinion.

GrabACabCC

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
215 ID
Boat Length
I think the maintenance isn’t a big deal anymore. They required service every 100hrs in the past. I opted for normally aspirated simpler motors for reliability. Performance is fantastic. Acceleration is phenomenal. I never hear people say they wish they got smaller motors but 150’s are more efficient. Either way you will be happy.
Yea I found out this week that the engines are now "Maintenance Free" since 2019 or 2020. Apparently they upgraded the part on the Super Charger that was constantly having to be rebuilt so no more mandatory maintenance. Now maintenance is only needed if the super charger component is out of specs. The guy my dealer spoke with said he hasn't had to perform that specific maintenance on the rotax super chargers since the upgrade. The upgrade is fairly recent so we will see. I'm gonna stick with my order of the twin 200 hp super charged engines. I'm gonna be getting custom mats from a private dealer who will make mats for my 215 id that will match the color of the interior (Cognac). Once that's finished I'll be selling the stock mats that come with the boat.