• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

doing it wrong, how not to pull your boat out of the water

MOA_Chaser

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Wow - completely ridiculous!

I witnessed a brand new F150 almost sink about 2 weeks ago. The guy driving the truck to launch the boat thought he was in drive. Needless to say, he was still in reverse. The truck was floating and going down farther. The guy hollered for some help. I quickly realized what was going on and grabbed my tow strap. Ran down to the ramp and helped pull the floating (but sinking) truck up as much as we could. Then we got a 4x4 truck to pull it out. The water by the time we were done was up to the bottom of the windows on the truck. Once on land, the driver opened up his door and I got to see a nice waterfall!
Wow, I'd think that at that point he should have just let it sink and claimed it as a total loss. That truck will never be right again.

farrelltravis

Jetboaters Captain
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Yeah, I have no idea what ended up happening. The guy driving the boat that I interacted with was the son of the guy driving the truck. The son was in his mid 50's or so. The dad was a poor older man that had a very scared look on his face. The dad never said a word. I felt terrible for dad. The son was MAD! We got the truck pulled out and I was ready to get out of there and not be witness to the father-son "interaction" afterwords. I asked the son if I could be of any further help and he said no. I took that and ran. Kinda felt bad, but didn't know what else to do once they were on land.

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
No traction is my guess. I would have gone ballistic if that boat hit my truck, like go to jail for beating the guy up.
Accidents happen and life is too short...not to excuse stupidity but it happens. I actually think their response is great. I know you were probably joking, but what would beating someone up do other than send someone to jail for assault?

jonw9

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
GTS
Boat Length
Not much you can do at that point, I would have finished my beer too. Beating up the guy won't un-damage the truck. The process forward remains the same.
My last 2 accidents were:
1) Lady ran a stop sign and broadsided my truck, her response was " I thought you were going to stop"
2) Guy locks up his brakes on a wet road, broadsides (the repaired truck) and rolls me into a ditch. His response was "Sorry, it has been a long time since I pulled a trailer"

So not I take nothing for granted, and assume every driver is a barely functioning moron, and then if they do something like using a turn signal, I am pleasantly surprised and grateful.

Attachments

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Wow....just wow!

@jonw9 Turn signals? They don't teach their use in NC! In fact I am beginning to suspect its taught as something "uncool" to do. A couple of months ago I almost creamed a guy who turned left in front of me when we both reached a stop sign at the same time (opposite each other). I gesticulated madly at my turn signal....he looked dumbfounded....sigh....

justason

Jetboaters Admiral
SWAG Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Wow....just wow!

@jonw9 Turn signals? They don't teach their use in NC! In fact I am beginning to suspect its taught as something "uncool" to do. A couple of months ago I almost creamed a guy who turned left in front of me when we both reached a stop sign at the same time (opposite each other). I gesticulated madly at my turn signal....he looked dumbfounded....sigh....

I learned to drive in the greater Boston Mass area....2 rules

1. Turn signals are a sign of weakness
2: the right of way is determined by how many off color doors the other driver has.....unless its a 78 nova with the giga-watt powered stereo.., he always had the right of way...

OCMD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
We have a word for that in football, for those terrible officials out there. Ass Clowns. Perfect fit here.

biglar155

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So not I take nothing for granted, and assume every driver is a barely functioning moron, and then if they do something like using a turn signal, I am pleasantly surprised and grateful.
Amen to this - except I don't trust those turn signals!

I agree the video is one of those things that "just happens" but it's one of those things that could be prevented with some simple double-checking. As was pointed out earlier, someone could have "died of stupid" in that incident if they had been standing in the wrong spot and not paying attention.

It goes back to educating yourself. Some people just wanna jump in and "do it." With boating - as with many things in life - this is a Bad Idea. You are ignorant. Ignorance (unlike stupid) CAN be fixed though. Take a class. Talk to someone who knows what they are doing - and has proven it. Read a book for crying out loud. Then you won't be ignorant any more and the rest of us will be safer!

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Magic

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
And drunk and ignorant is a special kind of stupid!
And as Ron White will tell you, ya just can't fix stupid............. but add alcohol and you have a whole 'nuther level of Dumbassery!

ScarabMike

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I had some idiot pull next to me when I was at the ramp getting ready to pull my Sea Ray out of the water. It would have been ok, but there was 4 more ramps available. Anyway, he runs to get his truck in a panic to beat me to the ramp with mine. I told the wife to just wait until he is out because I was getting heated. Well, then he tries to power up in the trailer, and the boat goes sideways. He didnt hit me, but sent a wake to my side that lifted my boat past the rubber sides to the concrete. It put a nice gash on a 2 week old boat with a red hull. I had to be separated because I was going to show him how to scuba dive Marine Corps style.....

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I had some idiot pull next to me when I was at the ramp getting ready to pull my Sea Ray out of the water. It would have been ok, but there was 4 more ramps available. Anyway, he runs to get his truck in a panic to beat me to the ramp with mine. I told the wife to just wait until he is out because I was getting heated. Well, then he tries to power up in the trailer, and the boat goes sideways. He didnt hit me, but sent a wake to my side that lifted my boat past the rubber sides to the concrete. It put a nice gash on a 2 week old boat with a red hull. I had to be separated because I was going to show him how to scuba dive Marine Corps style.....
HooRah. . . .

DoubleThrust

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
There is so much "awesome" in that video it's not even funny. The beer drinking!! It's more important than reacting to a boat that just slammed into the truck! The tow lines... the failure to secure the truck... it's just plain ROCK STAR! (since those drunk f*ckers didn't hit my boat that is) LOL.

By the way Mike... VERY sorry to hear about the jerks at your ramp. That sucks in a major, major way.