• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

ECU reflash with raised rpms and fuel adjustments on 1.8l engine

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So we were having a rpm and top speed conversation which made me think about how we mod skis to get the most out of them. One of the most common things done is a ECU reflash which raises the rpms and adjusts the fuel programming. So I reached out to a few company's who do this and with help of Jerry who is the owner of www.4-tecperformance.com he found one that would reflash our 1.8l engines. The basic gains in the stage one reflash can be done stock. I believe if you do the stage two or three you may need a few mods.

Okay great, looks like they share ECUs with a normal PWC then.
So yes it should work - you will need a Maptuner with Yamaha Cable and 2x licenses.

(maptuner, cable, and 1 license)

http://www.4-tecperformance.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=180_181&products_id=3235

(1 additional license)
http://www.4-tecperformance.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=180_181&products_id=3234

Thanks for the info. $2,100 seems like a lot of $$. Do I read this right, an increase of HP from our 180hp to 240-250hp?

I would have to go back and look at those horsepower numbers sound exaggerated. I think the gains went to stage one is about 10 to 15% she go above that I believe you need to do several mods. I also agree two thousand dollars is a lot of money. If there were several people interested we could split the cost of one Map tuner and just pass it around. The big advantage to having your own Map tuneris being able to adjust on the fly for various conditions.

It has been a pretty common belief with the boats, that due to mass to move and limitations of the pump used, that any gain would cost about $1000 per mph. I am not sure it can even be done that cheap. Let us know what she gains and hopefully you can establish a credible baseline and compare against same temp/humidity/pressure/loading, so that your data is accurate.

There is another thread dealing with the topic, not sure where to post my reply.

I am very interested in this ECU mod, wouldn't mind experimenting a bit, however I am not confident that using ski-specific maps is the way to go. I would think fuel/timing mapping for the boat would be quite different than a ski, even with the exact same engine, requiring at least some water testing...
Our 1.8l NA engines are rated at 180hp so there is not way a Stage 1 remapping with no additional mods would get you to 240-250hp which they claim... Or is there?
Hmm.. What to do...? I wish I knew more about it to make an educated decision.

The one thing I know I would like to do is to move the RPM limit up by about 500RPM, as I know I am rev limited at the top with my current configuration (which is stock with repitched impeller and ribbon delete).

Last edited:
I have to believe those numbers are based on a sho engine I can't imagine getting that from N/A engine. I would worry to much about it being mapped on the ski it would still have the same effect on a boat. I may do this but it wont be till June when the remainder of the Y.E.S warranty expires.

So who is going to be the first guinea pig?

In another thread on the subject:
https://jetboaters.net/threads/top-speed-rpm-question.6393/page-5
@Speedling makes a good point that ECU remapping is not a boat specific tune.

I find it convincing and would send my ECU unit for a reflash. I dont anticipate to have much use for a tuner, so sending the ECU unit out would be a preferred option for me, especially if i can get a discount.

@robert843 Do you know if Jerry at www.4-tecperformance.com would do it? Did you get a sense they might be willing to deal on price (given no guaranteed outcome in this case)?

In another thread on the subject:
https://jetboaters.net/threads/top-speed-rpm-question.6393/page-5
@Speedling makes a good point that ECU remapping is not a boat specific tune.

I find it convincing and would send my ECU unit for a reflash. I dont anticipate to have much use for a tuner, so sending the ECU unit out would be a preferred option for me, especially if i can get a discount.

@robert843 Do you know if Jerry at www.4-tecperformance.com would do it? Did you get a sense they might be willing to deal on price (given no guaranteed outcome in this case)?

I will PM you his email address and you can ask him he may be willing to. Let him know if it works out it could lead into a whole new market for him. He is big in the PWC world people live by his custom ride plates most people the National championship in Havasu are riding his plates. I didn't tell him it was being discussed on this forum but you can let him know. He is big on Greenhulk.net which is a PWC forum.

Got it, thank you. I will follow up on this and report back.

Back