• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Engine died on the water today, during a squall line, had to towed in

ruztew

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So, we where out at the island today and then it started clouding up, checked the radar and it looked like a small storm that would just blow over...so we decided to wait it out... turns into the worst storm I've ever been in on the water... Once the first squall passed, we decided to make a break for it to get back home....

As I was driving I noticed that the boat seemed to need more RPMs than normal to go even the slow speed we were driving at.... I came off the throttle and the engine died.... Checked the pull out plug and verified that there was nothing around the impeller or anything.... tried to restart it... engine turns over, but just won't start... tried this several times. Thankfully I have a SeaTow membership... about the time they show up, another squall line comes through.. finally they get it in tow and begin the slow tow back to the dock... once we get to the dock, another squall comes through making it difficult to get the boat to the dock and then finally onto the trailer. Loads of fun today.

So, I'm looking for advice and things to do. I figured being towed in, I need to pull the spark plugs and then crank it to make sure that there is no water in the engine??? What else should I do / look at?

Its a new 2015 SX190 with approx 25 hours on it. I gave it the 10 hr service and the oil level and everything has been checking out fine.

Like i said, prior to the tow, the engine would turn over, just wouldn't start.. and prior to the engine stopping, the boat seemed like it was taking higher RPMS than normal for the speed I was going. I haven't done anything with the boat since it was towed and I got home... thought I'd ask for advice first.

Thanks for your help.

Was there any water in the bilge?

Yes, the rain had been so bad, the bilge would kick on and pump the water out.. the engine wasn't in standing water or anything... the bilge did its job as far as I know

Have you gone through the engine not starting FAQ?

My phone won't paste in the link.....not sure why...time to reboot....but it is #98 under "General Maintenance" about half way down the list

Safety lanyard in place?

Remote stretch...... Any lightning strikes really close?

Previous questions are all revelent. Also check your oil dipstick for milky oil to see if you ingested some water. You may also have taken enough water to get some connectors wet resulting in a no start. Stick with us as we walk you through some common scenereos.

I looked through the FAQ and didn't see the "engine won't start thread" I'll look back through it.

yes, there were plenty of lightning strikes, it was a bad thunderstorm.

The oil didn't look milky or anything when I pulled the dip stick to check the oil level...

• Kill Switch at helm not seated properly (swap connectors on back of switch if just one engine) <---- checked this while in the storm!
  • Cleanout Hatch switches or wiring loose (swap switches/connectors if just one engine) <---- checked cleanout plug in storm, verified it was fully latched
  • Fuel tank empty <--- Just filled up with gasoline prior to going out
  • Fuel Tank-water or pressure is low <--- ??
  • Spark Plugs or caps not tight <--- ??
  • Crank case filled with water and/or fuel <--- ?? oil level looked fine on dipstick and didn't seem milky
  • Fuel Filter clogged or water filled <--- ??

Just a stab in the dark here, but How's much fuel is in the boat? Almost sounds like it was starving for fuel. I wonder if you've got a fuel flow issue.

I see that we were posting at the same time:

Something else that came to mind. How is the fuel vent positioned on your boat? Is it possible that rain water or waves somehow was directed into the tank? Possibly contaminating the fuel?

Fuel vent is on the side of the boat, so its possible that water got in it i suppose... not sure how to tell if thats the problem.

When it was running, it was higher RPMs that normal for the speed prior to dying.

Am I correct in assuming the first thing I should do before troubleshooting is pull the plugs and crank it like that to verify no water in the engine due to being towed?

Check the air filter. If somehow it sucked a small amount of water, not enough to get in the engine, but just enough to clog the filter, then that might have set the rpms higher, and once you cut the throttle it won't start until it dries or you clean/change it.
Same thing as if you put your hand over the intake on a hair drier, rpms will immediately go up, and it very audible.
Can be something else, but by your description it's a def possibility.
If it's wet, remove it and try starting the engine that way.
If it starts, then u found ur culprit. I would change the oil at that point regardless if it is milky or not. The moisture alone will contaminate a portion.

Did you clamp your water intake off when being towed? If not there is a good possibility you have water in the engine now. I'd remove all the plugs and crank the engine over to make sure there isn't any in the cylinders the reinstall the plugs. Then check the oil.

I think you have some things to check above. If the air filter is good, one other thought was if maybe you got bad gas. You just filled up and then started to have problems. You may try some starting fluid while you have the air filters off just to see if she starts. It is odd that she was running but needed more RPMs to continue forward and then died.

I wonder if your clean out hatch safety kill switch is not fully depressing when the hatch is shut, even if latched. Perhaps it's not making full contact or is faulty?

Ok, so this morning I removed all 4 spark plugs and then attempted to start the engine with the plugs removed. I pulled the safety lanyard and then cranked the engine... engine turned over (but of course did not start with the plugs out). I did not see any water shooting out of the cylinders or anything...... based on my assumption, if there was water in the engine from towing I would have seen water shooting out of the cylinder??? yes??

I've replaced the plugs but am awaiting the OK from you guys before I try to start it again... I'm terrified of hydrolocking the engine.

I wonder if your clean out hatch safety kill switch is not fully depressing when the hatch is shut, even if latched. Perhaps it's not making full contact or is faulty?
The engine won't turn over (starter disabled) if the hatch is open....cuz they don't want hands in there when someone could make the shaft rotate (even with the starter).

As long as your oil is not milky, and no water came out when you cranked with plugs removed (which none did)....then you are good to try other things.

If engines turning over with plugs out and no fluid seen coming from the bores I'd assume your safe, but as an extra precaution just inspect into the spark plug hole or even thread a thin amount of tissue into the bore and see if there is any moisture.

Don't forget the engine won't start if the throttle isnt in the upright position too.

Back