• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Extras for 252SD - what am I missing?

pres2028

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SD
Boat Length
Hey good folks - appreciate the community here and thanks for great feedback so far. As I’ve noted in other posts I’m taking delivery on a 252SD soon. I have asked the dealer to install the following add-ons (and some I’ll do myself). What’s missing here? Any concerns with Cobra or Thrust Vector on top of the SD’s existing drive system?

—7” gps /chartplotter (I’m crazy enough to plan on fishing regularly from this thing)
—Either Thrust Vector or Cobra Jet steering. I’m reading all the threads comparing the two. Also curious if the new “Drive” system on the SDs mitigates the need for this.
—5” portapotty
—Mission sentry fenders
—Stoltz roller

Thoughts on the above - anything else I should be asking for or adding?

If you look at the 242X link in my signature (if you don't see my signature, you are on a phone...turn it sideways) you'll find a long list of the mods I've done. Check those out.

As for the ones you list.
  • When I start adding electronics, the first thing I do is add a fuse box to make adding more electronics easier.
  • I'm not a fan of Sentry fenders, round ones that roll with the boat are tried and true (IMHO).
  • I have a portapotty and the rule is....you fill it...you empty it.....never been used! :cool:

As for mods I'd do in your position (assuming ocean boating), I'd do the following:
  • Marine radio and antenna
  • Additional USB ports for guests (those phones will come along no matter what you do)
  • Storage area mods .... like some way to hang life jackets, ropes etc.
  • Then there are stereo mods.....that would be a thread all on its own! (there are lots of them)

If you havent chosen 7" chartplotter fishfinder I'd highly recommend Garmin 743xsv its pre-loaded with coastal and lake chart (east coast and west coast including bahamas and 18000 lake chart including great lakes). On top of depth charts it shows the shipping lanes in intercoastal waterways so you do not risk running aground. Auto-guidance, like car gps not straight line navigating. Anchor alarm if your anchor gets loose. Make sure to pick UHD transducer to get the full function. It is also radar and auto-pilot ready in case you want to upgrade in the future.

Hey good folks - appreciate the community here and thanks for great feedback so far. As I’ve noted in other posts I’m taking delivery on a 252SD soon. I have asked the dealer to install the following add-ons (and some I’ll do myself). What’s missing here? Any concerns with Cobra or Thrust Vector on top of the SD’s existing drive system?

—7” gps /chartplotter (I’m crazy enough to plan on fishing regularly from this thing)
—Either Thrust Vector or Cobra Jet steering. I’m reading all the threads comparing the two. Also curious if the new “Drive” system on the SDs mitigates the need for this.
—5” portapotty
—Mission sentry fenders
—Stoltz roller

@Julian (or anyone else for that matter) - What size Stoltz should we be looking at for the new 255 series?

Last edited:
Don’t waste your money on those fender I bought 1/for quick deploy but doesn’t always work buy big round fender to actually protect you 85k boat
Couldn't agree more. I'm really hesitant to use my Sentry fenders and usually just throw on our big cylinder ones.

—5” portapotty
—Mission sentry fenders
—Stoltz roller

I have TVs on my 252SE, made an immediate improvement in handling. Another user on here added TVs to his 252SD and said he still found them to be a useful addition even with the DRiVE.

Before you add any extra steering to your boat first use it stock then see how it is in hole shot quickness and making fast turns at speed as well as slow speed turns and off power turns decide exactly what areas you wish to improve and then make a choice of what aftermarket steering you want to add if any. I also have many people with the 25 foot boats using a set of super magnum ak-19 deluxe steering to enhance steering in many areas as well as adding in plaining surfaces and the extra tie rod.

Boating with confidence:
Standard Horizon HX890 handheld VHF with GPS and distress signal. You can get an MMSI.
Sirius Signal C-1003 SOS VDS (Day/Night VDS for USCG compliance)
TackLife small portable jump pack in case the batteries die.

** Mission Fenders: Buy 1 and try. They are spendy, but people either love them or hate them.

Don’t waste your money on those fender I bought 1/for quick deploy but doesn’t always work buy big round fender to actually protect you 85k boat
Really helpful. Unfortunately I already ordered the Sentrys, but I need some regular ones anyway.

If you havent chosen 7" chartplotter fishfinder I'd highly recommend Garmin 743xsv its pre-loaded with coastal and lake chart (east coast and west coast including bahamas and 18000 lake chart including great lakes). On top of depth charts it shows the shipping lanes in intercoastal waterways so you do not risk running aground. Auto-guidance, like car gps not straight line navigating. Anchor alarm if your anchor gets loose. Make sure to pick UHD transducer to get the full function. It is also radar and auto-pilot ready in case you want to upgrade in the future.

Thank you - was looking at a Lowrance but will check this out. Simplicity is going to be key for me, I'm new to fishfinders / chartplotters in general, so auto guidance is helpful.

Thank you - was looking at a Lowrance but will check this out. Simplicity is going to be key for me, I'm new to fishfinders / chartplotters in general, so auto guidance is helpful.
Also lower price products, sometimes you have to buy the chart by region, it is expensive like over $200 per region.
If you choose different type of chartplotter, make sure its pre-loaded with charts, it gets expensive to buy it stand-alone. You can read in this thread someone have to buy the charts separately My Garmin Chartplotter Selection Error | JetBoaters.net - The World's Largest Jet Boat Forum!

Your going to want the cobras or tv’s. My boat although bigger will have the same setup as you as far as steering goes. While its lightyears better at no wake speeds than my 232, it can still use them for sure. Overalll boat turns and handles great stock at anything over no wake speed. Going slow requires you to really pay attention and counter steer like crazy. Turn your head for a second to tell your buddy something and youll be sideways in the channel when you look back. The cobra fins worked great on my 232. This boat i have a set of tv to install as soon as the weather breaks. If it turns out i dont like them then ill just order another set of cobras from jeff. Basically there is really no reason to not add a set of steering fins imo.

Your going to want the cobras or tv’s. My boat although bigger will have the same setup as you as far as steering goes. While its lightyears better at no wake speeds than my 232, it can still use them for sure. Overalll boat turns and handles great stock at anything over no wake speed. Going slow requires you to really pay attention and counter steer like crazy. Turn your head for a second to tell your buddy something and youll be sideways in the channel when you look back. The cobra fins worked great on my 232. This boat i have a set of tv to install as soon as the weather breaks. If it turns out i dont like them then ill just order another set of cobras from jeff. Basically there is really no reason to not add a set of steering fins imo.

I recommend waiting on thrust vectors until you see what the drive system does. I have the 212 SD, and am waiting until I get it out on the water and play around the docks. This is, after all, what the SD variant is marketed to solve.

At 500 bucks or whatever the price, I'll go for a mid season upgrade if needed.... If not, I'll put the money to other upgrades. :) That's my $.02

Yep try it first for sure. The paddles on the sd is just for docking etc and they are absolutely fantastic but it does nothing for your steering cruising slow.

Yep try it first for sure. The paddles on the sd is just for docking etc and they are absolutely fantastic but it does nothing for your steering cruising slow.
I'm guessing the 275 handles a bit different than my 212? Does it not have a centerline keel?

At idle speeds the 212 does wander a bit just like my old I/O prop did but not alarmingly bad. At NWM+1 it's better and +2 it tracks straight, and +3 I have to be careful with the steering or I can turn a bit and the boat turns sharply out of line and I have to correct quickly. I typically dock in +1 or +2 if it's windy. +3 is too much thrust and the boat jumps around too much.

Compared to the I/O prop, I can come in to dock faster and easier, then stop, bow in, then stop and stern in - done. I wish I bought a jet years ago.
:)

Really helpful. Unfortunately I already ordered the Sentrys, but I need some regular ones anyway.
You could always find you like some for part coverage, others for other parts of the boat...everyone is different or we'd all have the same fenders.
Plus there's always returns if you don't like them, yes?
?
The one thing I think we can all agree on...you always need bigger and more than the 2-3 the dealer wants to toss in for "free".

Back