• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Has ANYBODY ever had freeze damage with a Yamaha jet boat?

I would avoid revving the engines out of the water as there is no back-pressure in the jetpump.

First, let me say I don’t disagree with your assessment of risks associated with revving out of water, not challenging that at all, but doesn’t Yamaha actually recommend a “blip” of the throttles? I’d have to go searching my manuals, but thought I had seen it recommended in there.

First, let me say I don’t disagree with your assessment of risks associated with revving out of water, not challenging that at all, but doesn’t Yamaha actually recommend a “blip” of the throttles? I’d have to go searching my manuals, but thought I had seen it recommended in there.
Yes they do recommend that, but since there is no backpressure the engines are free to rev, and a "blip" can be too high and rev much higher than needed if you're not careful - very little throttle is needed. I've found there is no need to rev as it doesn't get any more water out than just idling at 1700-1800 rpm for 10 seconds. I do it twice over two days and the second time hardly anything comes out of the exhaust. The rest of the system self-drains.

Fair enough. I do understand the higher risk of revving an engine with no load, and I do agree it doesn’t take much throttle to push the necessary water out. I’m comfortable blipping up to about 3-4k, but I do understand your concern, and why you choose not to.

Still amazing to me that there aren’t really any cases of well documented freeze damage other than a couple isolated incidents that fall outside the norm.

Still amazing to me that there aren’t really any cases of well documented freeze damage other than a couple isolated incidents that fall outside the norm.
Think of all the jetskis out there and no issues with them either. On my inboard boats, I just removed the 4-6 drain plugs in the block and exhaust manifolds and pulled the water pump hose off. Takes 20 minutes and you're done with those engines too. Winterizing is not really a big deal like some people think.

Winterizing is not really a big deal like some people think.
Pumping anti freeze through an engine is apparently a hard habit to break.... :winkingthumbsup"

Think of all the jetskis out there and no issues with them either. On my inboard boats, I just removed the 4-6 drain plugs in the block and exhaust manifolds and pulled the water pump hose off. Takes 20 minutes and you're done with those engines too. Winterizing is not really a big deal like some people think.
I did this as well when I had my 3.0L Mercruiser. Just pulled the plugs and hoses on the motor and let everything drain out. Had it through (6) Ky winters without any issues.

Things I never do
  • Fill Fuel tank
  • Empty Fuel tank
  • Fog Engines
  • Use antifreeze
  • panic
  • Disconnect Battery
Things I always do
  • Change oil in the spring
  • Change plugs/wires/cap/rotor in the spring
    • Just plugs for the yamaha
  • Change water pump in the spring
    • Clean the filters and flush in the yamaha
  • Clean interior, carpet, and engine bay
NOW.......I've never had a boat with a ballast system. I've only had single engine crafts. I've only ever stored in the winter in KY (away from salt water, only a few months of hard freeze temps). I think, much like everything else in life, one should evaluate both the duration and conditions of storage for them. Mine lives in an unheated garage, generally out of the elements and under a nice cover. Your mileage may vary :D

I spoke with the local dealer service manager, & he said there were several, when the Texas freeze hit in ‘21.
If I was a betting man, I bet the coolant water wasn’t purged though.

Actual engine damage, or water box, ballast system, tower bursting, etc?

I spoke with the local dealer service manager, & he said there were several, when the Texas freeze hit in ‘21.
If I was a betting man, I bet the coolant water wasn’t purged though.

As per the above question…. What do you mean by coolant water?

Last edited:
I would avoid revving the engines out of the water as there is no back-pressure in the jetpump.

Never spray fog a fuel-injected engine - there are sensors in the intake path that can be fouled.

Nonsense and more nonsense. Fogging the intake is perfectly safe for the Yamaha HO/SHO/SVHO engines and careful revving to clear the water out is also completely safe.

Actual engine damage, or water box, ballast system, tower bursting, etc?

I was talking to him about winterization and insurance coverage. He didn’t specify what kind of damage, and I didn’t get that specific with him. I assumed we were talking about engine damage. Definitely, we were not talking about ballast systems.

One noteworthy thing, from the dealer in my area, is they do not fog the engines for storage. They only purge the water, and fill up & treat the gas. I was nervous to mention that on here, because I know what a controversial subject that can be.

As per the abkve question…. What do tou mean by coolant water?

Sorry if I wasn’t clear. I meant: run or rev the engine (out of the water), to evacuate all the raw water that the boat sucks up.

Last edited:
Fair enough. I’m very curious as to what exactly, since we just don’t see engine damage due to freezing here on the forum, or even on Facebook (where seemingly a lot of…cognitively challenged people are. Lol)

Fair enough. I’m very curious as to what exactly, since we just don’t see engine damage due to freezing here on the forum, or even on Facebook (where seemingly a lot of…cognitively challenged people are. Lol)

Whatever was damaged, I can almost guarantee you they didn’t evacuate the water. I’m guessing, because of where I’m located, most people just throw their boat in storage and don’t prep it accordingly. We rarely have freezes that get below the mid 20s, but that February 2021 freeze was next level for this area.

There are two spots under the back hatch that hold water, I noticed it several times when I had the hatch of working. Doesn't look like it drains either. Between each pump and the side. No way to get it out unless you take of the entire hatch and get in there. I wonder if it comes in from splash over or wherever. I run the wet vac over there to suck it out before winter. Doesn't look like it would affect anything if it freezes solid, but figured why take a chance.

Anyone else ever see what I am describing on their boat?

I've looked in there, but after silicone sealing the cleanout tray, it's always dry...I think the heat from the exhaust systems keeps it pretty dry if any water sneaks by the gaskets or seals.

Nonsense and more nonsense. Fogging the intake is perfectly safe for the Yamaha HO/SHO/SVHO engines and careful revving to clear the water out is also completely safe.
So no need to worry about clogging the MAP and O2 sensors in the intake system?

"Careful" revving is subjective and I've found it's not really needed, and we get really cold winters up here.

I've looked in there, but after silicone sealing the cleanout tray, it's always dry...I think the heat from the exhaust systems keeps it pretty dry if any water sneaks by the gaskets or seals.

No, I have had pooled water or more than one occasion. Most recently when I just winterized it. About a gallon or more each side. I don't get much out the keel plug. Maybe I am just special.

No, I have had pooled water or more than one occasion. Most recently when I just winterized it. About a gallon or more each side. I don't get much out the keel plug. Maybe I am just special.
Hmm...I'll have to take a closer look. I store at home so it's a quick check to pull the covers up and peak.

Hmm...I'll have to take a closer look. I store at home so it's a quick check to pull the covers up and peak.

far right and left side the is a channel there between the pump and outside wall. Doesn't drain int to the keel, I splashed it over by hand one time when I was doing my transducer. Found it odd that it wouldn't just drain. Water was not clean and looked like it may have been there a bit. Thought about just drilling a hole through the back wall so it will just drain down into the engine compartment and out the keel.

There are two spots under the back hatch that hold water, I noticed it several times when I had the hatch of working. Doesn't look like it drains either. Between each pump and the side. No way to get it out unless you take of the entire hatch and get in there. I wonder if it comes in from splash over or wherever. I run the wet vac over there to suck it out before winter. Doesn't look like it would affect anything if it freezes solid, but figured why take a chance.

Mine always seems to have an inch of water there also, but what’s strange is that I NEVER get a drop in my bilge unless I wash down the interior, at which point I open the gas hatch to help the water drain out of the deck. Im guessing that how it gets there for me. I just splash/wipe it out periodically, but it is annoying that it has no place to go.

Back