• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Has anyone bought a car from an online dealer?

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I dunno if anyone's bought a car recently, but in searching, I keep coming across 2-4 online vendors that either have stellar prices compared to my area, or they've got options that simply aren't available in my area. I don't have a problem with the concept, and the brand/model/year I'm looking at should be pretty damn bulletproof, it's just something that I'm completely unfamiliar with. I'm looking at used cars, 2 different Lexuseseses and 2 different Toyota's. Toyota's are 2016-2018, the Lexus (Lexii?) would be models I'm familiar with (I've owned a version of both models I'm looking at), but likely a bit older - 2010-2015. Just wondering about the process and any info/tips anyone might have.

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I've bought used vehicles online from three different dealers in the last 10 years. Each time I flew to pick up the vehicle and drove it home to Waukesha, WI:
  1. 2009, bought a 2008 Durango (tow vehicle), small town about an hour out of Pittsburgh, PA
  2. 2015, bought a 2012 Tahoe (tow vehicle), small town 45 minutes out of Omaha, NE
  3. 2017, bought a 2016 Accord (not tow vehicle), Grand Forks, ND
Each time, did extensive research online including not just perfect Carfax (100% required for me) but also using one of the online VIN lookup databases to ensure vehicle had EXACTLY what I wanted (critical for tow vehicles, especially). I don't trust dealer listings for accuracy on the details (final drive ratio, air suspension, etc.) Dealers may not know or may lie, but the VIN reports do know and don't lie.

First time (Durango), I was under time pressure - was picking up boat in less than two weeks and had no tow vehicle - was exceptional. First, there were very few late model 4x4 V8 tow vehicles available due to the very odd market dynamics before and during the great recession. Second, I found a killer deal to a dealer losing his Dodge franchise (also related to the recession). Third, I had a gut feeling about the vehicle. It still had 10,000+ miles on the OEM bumper-bumper warranty. And i got lucky, no issues.

Second and third times, I bought Certified used vehicles from off-the-beaten path dealers. Much lower risk. Also no issues. Both these times I used cargurus.com - I've found it is the best way to find exactly what you want at a good value.

I also hammered out the deal, including no-questions-asked walk away language for me if I did not like the vehicle upon inspection. Also, I worked the relationship with the salesman. Asked them if I could bring them a gift from Wisconsin (Omaha guy wanted fruit product - brought him Door County cherry jam, Grand Forks guy wanted cheese - brought him a few different types of specialty cheeses.) Also surprised each by taking them a cheesehead. This $45 investment on my part got me exceptional service and introduction to dealer owners, etc. Made the whole transaction process more pleasant, too. Dealers were happy to pick me up from airport in each case.

Regarding relative value in used cars... yes, Milwaukee area deals on used cars are comparatively poor vs other markets. Why? Well, I believe it has to do with the almost non-existent private sales used car market in the area. I've lived in MI, OH, and KY before WI and WI definitely has structural barriers to private used car sales that drive prices up and choices down. Anyway, I would not be afraid to try it. Particularly for the types of cars you are targeting.

Critically important: You do have to be prepared to walk away if the car is not what you,expected it to be.

ZGhost

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
5 years ago I bought a motorcycle off eBay, then 2 years ago bought another one off eBay. 4 years ago I bought BMW X5 off eBay as well. Also, this summer I bought a another BMW online from Washington dealer who advertised on eBay. Easy process, investigate dealer’s reputation thoroughly. Once you decide which one and which car, call them and negotiate best price. Once settled on price, they will send you a purchase agreement and some misc paperwork, you sign, then you wire the money. Once received by dealer, you’re to take delivery by either flying there and driving it back or it can be shipped for $500 to $900 depending where it’s coming from. Title and other misc paperwork will be sent later. Not much to it. If you buy through eBay Motors, there is a money guarantee for buyers against fraud so your money is always protected by eBay. Read more about this on eBay’s site.
Once you do it once, it becomes easy. Online prices are very competitive and you save thousands. Unless your local dealer has a matching or similar car and they are willing to match online prices. Best site I found for very clean, low mileage, newer cars, with lowest prices is Vroom.com. Almost bought a car there one time but it was sold right under my feet as I was talking to the sale’s person on the phone, another sales person sold it during my conversation.

Hope this helps? Good luck!

Last edited:

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
I bought my (used) 2018 Tesla M3 online, out of state (Illinois) and sight unseen. I traded my 2015 Volt for it. Each took lots of pictures to ensure description for accuracy. They shipped ($600) the car to me and took mine back on the same truck. No issues whatsoever.

AboveTheBest

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I never buy anything new, and I buy my cars/trucks out of state like a lot of us do with our boats.

I search 500-miles from my house to find the best deal. I will already have the vehicle narrowed down to the options and colors, and I always buy one with under 15k miles and less than 2-years old.

I will agree on a price, drive (or fly) to the dealer, and do the final paperwork when I arrive. I’ve only had one experience that was less than perfect, and will continue to do this for every vehicle in the future.

I think you’ll find most dealers are set up to operate this way, and it’s pretty easy in most cases.

AboveTheBest

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Try AutoTrader.

They let you filter down to the options and trim you’re looking for, and they’ll even flag vehicles that are a good deal compared to recent sales.

I highly recommend the site and have used it for my last 5 purchases.

Billtex2000

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Got both of my boats off eBay and a few cars/trucks from dealers on CarGurus. Some car dealers throw in a rebate if you contact them online.

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Something hit me today that I hadn't even thought of, and it falls along the lines of my desire to prepare for (or stave off) the worst - my current GX470 is what we were gonna be relegating to towing duty since my kid is gonna be (supposedly) taking my F150 off my hands. If something were to happen to the GX (it's unlikely, but the car IS a 15-year-old vehicle), I don't have anything to tow my boat. I was looking at the following - Rav4 or Tacoma, or Lexus NX200 or RX350. I've decided to keep looking for a Tacoma, but they're hard to come by with mileage I'm comfortable with @ a price I'm willing to pay. The other option I've decided on is another GX, an LX, or a Land Cruiser. All 3 of those options are harder to come by than a Tacoma, but I've had nothing but stellar experiences with any Toyota/Lexus V8, and I'm comfortable with any of those that fit the mileage/price equation, and I'm willing to take with a bit more mileage if it's their V8. I'd like a Tundra, but it simply won't fit in my garage in its current configuration, and parking becomes an issue that removes the Tundra from my search. The Tacoma has to be the perfect configuration as well, so all of the info you guys gave me is really useful too.

Each time, did extensive research online including not just perfect Carfax (100% required for me) but also using one of the online VIN lookup databases to ensure vehicle had EXACTLY what I wanted (critical for tow vehicles, especially). I don't trust dealer listings for accuracy on the details (final drive ratio, air suspension, etc.) Dealers may not know or may lie, but the VIN reports do know and don't lie.
That's one of the things I like about the Lexus. Most folks are gonna take theirs back to the dealership for service, which means I can get very detailed car history, as well as the fact that they break down the ENTIRE vehicle and what exactly is in it, as well as options that it came with.

Second and third times, I bought Certified used vehicles from off-the-beaten path dealers. Much lower risk. Also no issues. Both these times I used cargurus.com - I've found it is the best way to find exactly what you want at a good value.
I've been using that site for my last 4 cars, but I always limited it to an area closer to me, and this is the first car I've considered for looking at online dealers. I really like the site, but the other sites listed here in this thread are worth it to me, simply for research purposes if nothing else.

I also hammered out the deal, including no-questions-asked walk away language for me if I did not like the vehicle upon inspection. Also, I worked the relationship with the salesman. Asked them if I could bring them a gift from Wisconsin (Omaha guy wanted fruit product - brought him Door County cherry jam, Grand Forks guy wanted cheese - brought him a few different types of specialty cheeses.) Also surprised each by taking them a cheesehead. This $45 investment on my part got me exceptional service and introduction to dealer owners, etc. Made the whole transaction process more pleasant, too. Dealers were happy to pick me up from airport in each case.

Regarding relative value in used cars... yes, Milwaukee area deals on used cars are comparatively poor vs other markets. Why? Well, I believe it has to do with the almost non-existent private sales used car market in the area. I've lived in MI, OH, and KY before WI and WI definitely has structural barriers to private used car sales that drive prices up and choices down. Anyway, I would not be afraid to try it. Particularly for the types of cars you are targeting.
If I may ask, what was involved in your deals? Asking for a better price, reductions for your travels, etc? Your experience is a bit different than what I was looking at - you went to pick up, and I was looking at delivered vehicles, but I'm not opposed to driving a bit further to pick something up.

Our area flat out sucks for private sales. I dunno why that is, but I don't even bother with trying to find anything private anymore. I've sold a few cars, but those were so beat that I had nothing to lose. I had excellent results, but I also was getting more than any dealership was gonna give me on a trade it. Some glass chalk, marking up the windows with my number, and parking it in a Walmart parking lot, and I sold 3 cars that way. While driving out in your area, the method seems to be "park it on the front lawn with a sign, and hope it sells". LOL

Critically important: You do have to be prepared to walk away if the car is not what you,expected it to be.
I live within walking distance of Wilde Toyota, and I've bought 2 cars from them, and walked on 3 different vehicles since those first 2 purchases. They've become the kind of dealership I despise - too full of themselves and unwilling to actually want to sell for reasonable prices. That may have changed, since it's been about 5-6 years from the last time I walked out of there. They actually told me the reason they were unwilling to budge on price was because the car I was looking at had a panoramic roof, "and that's a $2500 option right there". My response was "you realize that YOU GUYS didn't install it, right? That means that OPTION is now STANDARD with the car, and the guy who bought it brand new already paid that price". They wouldn't budge from their price due to that, and I got the "that's a stellar deal, it's hard to believe you're gonna walk away from such a great deal for a few hundred bucks". As I'm standing up, my response was "it's harder to believe you don't want to deal with me on this car or take my money over that few hundred bucks I'm looking for". Walking away from any currently produced car is not a problem. If I were looking for a '69 Camaro, '70 Firebird, or a '69 Boss 302, I'd have to take someone with me to stop me from looking through those emotional rose-colored glasses :D

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
5 years ago I bought a motorcycle off eBay, then 2 years ago bought another one off eBay. 4 years ago I bought BMW X5 off eBay as well. Also, this summer I bought a another BMW online from Washington dealer who advertised on eBay. Easy process, investigate dealer’s reputation thoroughly. Once you decide which one and which car, call them and negotiate best price. Once settled on price, they will send you a purchase agreement and some misc paperwork, you sign, then you wire the money. Once received by dealer, you’re to take delivery by either flying there and driving it back or it can be shipped for $500 to $900 depending where it’s coming from. Title and other misc paperwork will be sent later. Not much to it. If you buy through eBay Motors, there is a money guarantee for buyers against fraud so your money is always protected by eBay. Read more about this on eBay’s site.
Once you do it once, it becomes easy. Online prices are very competitive and you save thousands. Unless your local dealer has a matching or similar car and they are willing to match online prices. Best site I found for very clean, low mileage, newer cars, with lowest prices is Vroom.com. Almost bought a car there one time but it was sold right under my feet as I was talking to the sale’s person on the phone, another sales person sold it during my conversation.

Hope this helps? Good luck!
I'd looked at ebay a while back, but I hadn't considered them for this, even for research purposes. Dunno why it didn't hit me, but thanks for the reminder! I've been pretty impressed with Vroom thus far, and it's who I'd been primarily looking at. They seem to be one of the larger names I keep coming across. I've emailed 2 dealerships around me on similar vehicles, and they've simply refused to match any online pricing - both offered to take my name and "let me know if we come across anything", but given their current pricing, I can easily see that they would overcharge for something - one of the dealerships is who I bought my GX from, and I was the one who called THEM about the car - not exactly confidence inspiring.

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I bought my (used) 2018 Tesla M3 online, out of state (Illinois) and sight unseen. I traded my 2015 Volt for it. Each took lots of pictures to ensure description for accuracy. They shipped ($600) the car to me and took mine back on the same truck. No issues whatsoever.
Was your Tesla bought through them, or another online dealer?

Try AutoTrader.

They let you filter down to the options and trim you’re looking for, and they’ll even flag vehicles that are a good deal compared to recent sales.

I highly recommend the site and have used it for my last 5 purchases.
I remember getting their books from the local grocery store free newspaper sections when I was younger, but I hadn't even considered them! Thanks for the reminder!

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
If I may ask, what was involved in your deals? Asking for a better price, reductions for your travels, etc? Your experience is a bit different than what I was looking at - you went to pick up, and I was looking at delivered vehicles, but I'm not opposed to driving a bit further to pick something up.

Our area flat out sucks for private sales.

I live within walking distance of Wilde Toyota, and I've bought 2 cars from them, and walked on 3 different vehicles since those first 2 purchases. They've become the kind of dealership I despise - too full of themselves and unwilling to actually want to sell for reasonable prices.
In the deals: I got them to throw in one or two minor items like splash guards on the Accord and reduce price by a couple hundred dollars. On the Tahoe, i got them add their Certified package with extended warranty plus they have to fix everything up to a fairly high standard plus they have to add a few goodies like new carpet floor mats, etc.

In all three cases, the vehicles had been sitting on their lots for many months, so I knew they would be motivated to move them.

Never dealt with Wilde Toyota, but have dealt with Wilde Honda a lot. Other than one exceptionally good service tech (young woman), I've been very underwhelmed by their ability to do anything properly and their arrogance is palpable.