• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Has anyone else seen this? <rubber around keys deteriorating>

Ajax

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The rubber rings around the ignition are melting and turning into a tar line substance. Super hard to clean off of anything it gets on. B35F455B-E69D-447B-83E7-44DC0F87593C.jpeg

I’ve seen that hapoen with rubber on cheap sunglasses around the nose support. It happens in very hot conditions.

i’m guessing a very low grade rubber is beingused and breaking down in the heat.

Usually rubber breakdown like that is accelerated by an oil. Yuck...what a mess!

I would suspect sunscreen.

Last edited:
Yep that happened to me. Didn't really get on anything before I just removed the rubber caps. Haven't missed them so probably won't replace them.

Here is what mine looks like. That LED is is from the circuit I hooked up to detect if my ladder is down.20220724_192703.jpg

. That LED is is from the circuit I hooked up to detect if my ladder is down.

The rubber on my 2005 SX 230 started doing that too. I just removed them.

Jetboater4life....have you written up that mod and I missed it!

The rubber on my 2005 SX 230 started doing that too. I just removed them.

It's over on YJB. @jetboater4life You should bring that install over to this site :)

Mine are degrading too. I have a set of ignition switches on order from Boats.net. Backordered...No Current ETA.

Mine from partzilla are backordered until December 28. So far. Every 3-5 days I get a new email backing the date up another few weeks...

Mine from partzilla are backordered until December 28. So far. Every 3-5 days I get a new email backing the date up another few weeks...
I have a pair of replacement clean out hatch latches on order from Partzilla since January.....now its more of a curiosity if they will ever arrive!

Mine started doing this back in the spring. It took me some time to notice and ruined the inside of my “go bag”. I cleaned up the ignition, it actually wiped off rather easy from there. I don’t know if I’ll replace them, but they are available on Amazon. They do come in different sizes. This is the one for my boat:

Get some 303 protectant, pull those rings, and soak them in the 303 for 15-30 minutes. You're too late, @swatski already moved from your area, I think he puts that stuff on his morning oatmeal ?? Wiping it on will help, but soaking it tends to get the best results, and then wiping some more on afterwards, as you're cleaning the boat.

It's over on YJB. @jetboater4life You should bring that install over to this site :)
When I get some time I will do a write up on how I did it. But @jetboater4life has better writing skills than I so I hope he does it first. :)
@Julian can I copy my write up in Yamahajetboaters.com and paste it here on our site?

When I get some time I will do a write up on how I did it. But @jetboater4life has better writing skills than I so I hope he does it first. :)
@Julian can I copy my write up in Yamahajetboaters.com and paste it here on our site?
You can absolutely copy any of your posts from the old site here.

Think those could be 3d printed?

@buckbuck I pretty much copied what you and trace did. I bought the parts 8 yrs ago and finally installed them lol! It works great. On my phone now otherwise I would look up the link. Ah what the heck..... Here it is

Boats.net been doing the same since May 1st. You'll eventually get to "No ETA."

Back