• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Hello from Michigan! New to the fourms!

Bluesib

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hey guys been doing a lot of reading around the fourms! I've wanted to get a jet boat for years and I found a nice used one in my area. 2005 sx230 not sure on the hours but the thing looks super clean! I should be picking it up tomorrow. Our last boat was a 21 foot bayliner. My only concerns are along the bottom it looks the it just rubbed the gel coat down from maybe the beach? Just along the deepest ridge. I looked at the boat once in person. I will not be able to test the boat on the water due to no lakes in the area from where the boat is stored. What can I do or what else should I look for before I hand of the check? Was also looking into adding a wake tower. Price is a big point the wife says it's a piece of metal thanks again

Last edited:

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Welcome aboard @Bluesib. Post up your location and maybe another member would be willing to meet up with you and help you check out the boat. Either way, good luck with the purchase, hope it goes well.

Bluesib

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I live in canton, mi and the boat is located in Rochester hills, mi if someone lived in my area we could drive together or we could meet there.

MikeyL

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Hey there, @Bluesib
Glad you both found us and have joined us
Wishing you well is your potential new purchase, and hope it checks out as good as you are hoping it will.
Sincere Best Wishes for a great Boating Year !@
And oh yeah ......... Almost forgot ............

+             CartoonWelcomeAboard 6 - BLuesib.jpg

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Welcome aboard, @Bluesib!

I am sure members near you can add their 2 cents. Make sure to add your location to your profile.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Welcome Aboard. You will certainly want to hear the engines run. You can use the flush ports with a water hose to cool the engines while running. You turn the water on after the engine is started and turn it off before you turn the engine off. You will want to verify that the clean out plugs which are located under the hatch on the swim deck are easily installed and removed. If not you will need to replace the lower portion of the plugs which cost $40 each. If you place the throttles in forward with the engines off you will be able to look forward through the jets to see the condition of the impellers. Several members have needed to replace steering cables on similar vintage boats so I would operate the steering wheel to see how it feels.

Does the gelcoat damage go through to the fiberglass? Does that area feel soft? Will it need to be repaired?

When were the oil and spark plugs last changed? What brands were used?

What is the oil level in the engines?

BravoMike

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Welcome aboard @Bluesib :Welcome: If you ended up buying the boat, post some pics! We love pictures:thumbsup:

Bluesib

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Picking it up Friday now. The guy is out of town . But I will on Friday I'm sure!!

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
5 hours from me or I would head right over!
good suggestions above. Check impellers for damage etc by putting flashlight up the intake and looking through the exit nozzle. Should be a thin line all the way around.
The gelcoat isn't a huge deal as a lot of yamaha owners beach.

If the motors run well, most other things are fixed for under $1000 but for a boat you can't water test, figure $1000 in repairs and just be happy when it isn't!
You will still want to do an oil change properly yourself, and put in the right plugs.
also check the freedom of the clean out plugs. Mine are impossible to get out and I only take them out every few trips
good luck!

biglar155

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Welcome @Bluesib ! Glad you found us!

I'll second the advice that's already been given. It's been my experience that if the thing is clean and well cared for then the mechanicals have probably been well cared for too. Sounds like you may have a winner on your hands.

I'm a former Michigander myself. Grew up in the U.P. but lived in the Detroit Metro area (Farmington Hills) for 3 1/2 years when I first graduated college. I've got a buddy that lives in Canton. Come to think of it, many years ago I bought an old sailboat that was stored in an outdoor storage place in Rochester Hills - I wonder if it's the same place?

Unreal Yammi

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I just bought mine a few weeks ago. After agreeing on a price and a deposit we agreed on a lake to do a sea trial. He trailered the boat One and a half hours to the lake for the sea trial at my request.

My personal preference...I will/would not buy unless a sea trial except under unusual circumstances. Too much mechanically can be overlooked without one.

You did pick a great website to research and troubleshoot Yammies!

Good luck and happy boating!

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Look at the scupper.....Those years had plastic scuppers below the water line that would crack and you wouldn't know it until they seen excessive water being pumped out. Imagine having an 1.25" hole in your boat in the middle of a lake. Most of us have replaced with a stainless steel scupper.

Trevor Shipman

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Compression test!!!! If you can't sea trial it I would def do a compression test. There are a ton of YouTubes videos on how to do it. It's really easy just make sure you slightly tighten the spark plug a little more than finger tighten when you put back. All compressions shou be within 5-8 of each other.

Team Bristow

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Welcome! Glad to see another Michigander. I lived in Canton back in the day, right out of college, but am in Lansing now. Wonderland Marine West in Brighton has been great to work with and they are just a short drive from you if you have not found a marina yet. Where do you plan to boat? We will be at Higgins all weekend and either there or Houghton all summer.

Good Luck and have fun!

Jason

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Welcome! Glad to see another Michigander. I lived in Canton back in the day, right out of college, but am in Lansing now. Wonderland Marine West in Brighton has been great to work with and they are just a short drive from you if you have not found a marina yet. Where do you plan to boat? We will be at Higgins all weekend and either there or Houghton all summer.

Good Luck and have fun!

Jason
Higgins! Grew up in central Michigan. Loved boating on Higgins when I was growing up.

biglar155

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
.... Wonderland Marine West in Brighton ...
Did not know this. We regularly visit my In-Laws who live in Pinckney. Brighton is a regular run for us when we are visiting. Looks like this is going to cost me money...

Bluesib

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Picked up the boat and cleaned it up a bit. Over all I'm happy so far! (No water test) we went over everything for about 30-60 mins with me. Start up let idle for a bit rev both looked at impellers nothing looks bent the clean outs came off real easy. I guess he had the boat tied up to his 30-40 foot boat (200,000 bucks I guess) after 2 weeks he would see some water in the back hatch he said he never figured it out, guessing it's that scupper? Only thing that bugged me is I asked about oil changes the said the starboard side was just done.. Only one side? I warmed it up a bit when I got home and the port side oil looks clean and is to the min line (good from what I've been reading) and starboard is to the full line not good??? Should I suck some of it out?? And as far as lakes mainly Belleville lake and portage chain of lakes.

Attachments

Bluesib

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Also have carpet, owners manual, and other seats in my truck.

Attachments

biglar155

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Congrats on the purchase!

I'll bet most of the board is gone for the weekend already so you'll have to wait for more answers (may need to "bump" your thread on Tuesday) but my advice on the oil would be to park the boat level, remove the air cleaners, and idle for 10 min on the garden hose (one engine at a time). Then check the oil level. The oil level readings in these things are really funky when cold. You need to make sure you check warm.

I suggest removing the filters because if the level IS high, it will soak your paper filters in oil and you'll have to replace them - they are not cheap.

By the way: The proper order when on the hose is engine on, water on, water off, engine off. Don't ever run the water on a stopped engine. So if your idling in the driveway, make sure you stay "in attendance" in case the motor quits so that you can shut the hose off fast. You won't wreck the engine instantly, but you need to be vigilant. We've had cases of guys stepping onto the swim platform and triggering the cut-off switches on accident.