• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Hello from Texas

boudin

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm a long time waverunner owner, but this is my first Yamaha jet boat. This week I bought a salvage (previously sunk in freshwater) 2008 AR210 project for super cheap, and am looking to turn it into my primary pleasure boat.

I have rebuilt many a waverunners, 2-stroke, and 4-stroke MR1s, so the project does not seem hard to me. What is the best location on the forums to post project boats?

-Greg

IMG_3695.JPG

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Welcome aboard @boudin and congrats on the boat. I love a good project too, so I'd love to follow yours. Good luck with the rebuild. You've come to the right place. Lots of good info can be found on this site.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Glad to have you on board, update your location so we know where your in the big state.

Your boat is going to be like boudin by the time you get it running again but we'd love to see your progress. The general topics section is fine for posting, we're pretty easy going as far as posting.

It looks to be in great shape for being sunk, do you know any of the details? and that definitely wasn't the original trailer.

boudin

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It looks to be in great shape for being sunk, do you know any of the details? and that definitely wasn't the original trailer.
I bought it at a Copart auction, and it was just listed as "water/flood" damage. Looking in more detail, it appears the boat listed to the port side. Carpet under the seats on the port side is dirty, as well as the motor. However the starboard side is very clean. Appears as if the instrument cluster was not in the water. All gauges work, as well as the stereo. Very clean underneath the cluster.

When I pulled the plugs on both engines, I saw there was water in one of the cylinders in each of the motors. Not good--usually that leads to stuck rings/seized pistons and/or stuck valves. I cranked and blew the water out, spinning the motors on/off several times. A compression test then revealed 200psi in all cylinders, except the starboard engine in holes #2 and #3, which were 160 psi. The engines should start with that compression.

I was able to cycle and hear both fuel pumps. Yamaha Diagnostics Software (YDS) indicated 103 and 102 hours on the motors. Both motors have no signs of salt water, and will clean up nicely.

My next step is to drain the fuel, and give both motors a complete oil change. Fresh fuel, spark plugs, and then I'll attempt to start them. Once started, I'll powerwash the entire boat inside and then address some of the other minor issues.

Attachments

boudin

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
...and that definitely wasn't the original trailer.
Right, the boat did not come with a trailer. That is the trailer from my 2050 Bayliner, which I'll be selling soon. I don't really need a trailer as the boat will live on a lift at my other house on Lake Livingston.

-Greg

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@boudin That is awesome - we need projects!!!
Looks like the scupper was ripped out with a chunk of fiberglass? That would sink it.
SOunds like the ECUs did not get wet, that's half the battle already won.

captras

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Right, the boat did not come with a trailer. That is the trailer from my 2050 Bayliner, which I'll be selling soon. I don't really need a trailer as the boat will live on a lift at my other house on Lake Livingston.

-Greg
Welcome. ..nice looking boat and it sounds like your project will not be to serious! Also have a place on Lake Livingston! Hope to see you up there! And you came to the right place for knowledge and info! Lots of smart people on here. ...myself not included

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I am looking forward to watching your progress. Welcome to Jetboaters.net

PaulyB

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Congrats on the purchase. I bought one a few months ago from Copart as well and am currently looking to buy another one in the next few weeks. Here is the one I previously purchased https://www.copart.com/lot/31528447/ and here is what it looked like after a little cleaning.... IMG_0204.JPG

boudin

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yesterday I finally got back up to the lake for a little more work on the AR210. I gave each motor a complete oil change, which in the MR1 involves:
  • Siphon as much oil as possible out of the oil reservoir
  • With the bow tilted up as much as possible, removing the 13mm bolt on the bottom of the reduction gear box, which releases the remaining oil from the motor
  • Filter change
I debated how to catch the oil from the oil release hole--there just isn't much room there to work with a pan. I opted to just let it release into the bilge and then siphon it out of the bilge/use paper towels/simple green and then a power wash. I did unsnap the bilge pump and moved it out of the way so as to not soak it with oil.

Oil was milky in both motors (less on the starboard motor), and even a few cups of water came out of the port motor. I am going to do at least one more oil change on both motors, and possibly two more on the port motor. But for now, good enough to attempt to fire up.

Put in the lanyard, a set of spark plugs, and the starboard motor fired right up and idled smooth. I let it warm up, and then revved it to 7k. Perfect.

The port engine took a bit longer and a few tries. I know cylinder #1 had oily water in it previously, and was probably soaking the plug. However, a few more attempts and it fired up too. I let it idle a while, and now it seems to be running smoothly.

Both motors fire right up now upon turn of the key.

Having worked with MR1 motors that sat for a long period of time, I am pretty shocked there are no stuck valves or seized rings. For the price I paid for the boat, I was fully prepared to rebuild both motors. A bonus for sure.

I will also run Yamaha Ring Free through the first tank of fuel. That stuff is great.

Next up:
  • One more complete oil change in both motors
  • A good powerwash using simple green and some tilex on the seats
  • Replacement of the rear scupper with a stainless unit
  • Remove the pump cleanout plugs (they are stuck) and replace with new units
  • New pump nozzles (mine are broken)
  • New battery
  • Replace the broken transducer and speedometer pickup
  • A few other odds and ends
  • Buy a cover (got to research this)
-Greg

boudin

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Congrats on the purchase. I bought one a few months ago from Copart as well and am currently looking to buy another one in the next few weeks. Here is the one I previously purchased https://www.copart.com/lot/31528447/ and here is what it looked like after a little cleaning....
Looks really nice! There are some good deals at the copart auctions on boats. The trick is to buy it at a price that gives you plenty of room to address the issues.

-Greg

boudin

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Looks like the scupper was ripped out with a chunk of fiberglass? That would sink it.
Hard to know what happened. I do know the scupper was pushed back inside, with now an enlarged hole. That hole and the lower exhaust had been filled with expanding foam. Maybe an attempt to seal any openings while water was pumped out of the boat.

I am going to use a new stainless scupper, and then a piece of 6"x6" aluminum or stainless stock, along with 3M 5200 to fix the area.

-Greg

boudin

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Also have a place on Lake Livingston! Hope to see you up there!
I am going to try to have the boat in the water, and on the lift by Christmas. We'll see. I am up in the northern part of Lake Livingston, in the White Rock Creek area, not far from Camp Olympia.

This is a view out my living room window. That is Goat Island in the distance.

-Greg

Attachments

boudin

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Wow. Got most of my parts ordered yesterday and today, and working with another forum member on a set of nozzles, and a few other odds and ends. Assuming all the parts come in, this weekend the plan is to address:
  • Scupper valve: 1/4" aluminum w/3M 5200, and a new stainless scupper valve
  • Remove and rebuild the cleanout plugs--they are really stuck. I'm going to try a cherry picker and straps to pull them out.
  • Complete power wash of the boat
If I can get that done, then the next weekend I can reassemble the pumps and go for a water test.

-Greg

captras

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I am going to try to have the boat in the water, and on the lift by Christmas. We'll see. I am up in the northern part of Lake Livingston, in the White Rock Creek area, not far from Camp Olympia.

This is a view out my living room window. That is Goat Island in the distance.

-Greg
Wow, we are a long way apart. ...I am about 6 miles from the dam

boudin

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Wow, we are a long way apart. ...I am about 6 miles from the dam
Every couple of months we ride down to the big lake--usually hit pine island, the dam, and then lunch at the restaurant by the KOA in Onalaska. Has to be a calm day--that open water can be brutal in a 10+ mph wind.

-Greg

captras

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
We go to Pine Island often. It is close. Always nervous heading up to the north end of the lake because of all the stumps. We used to have a Four Winns stern drive so we were really nervous because it had such a much deeper draft than our Yamaha!

boudin

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We go to Pine Island often. It is close. Always nervous heading up to the north end of the lake because of all the stumps. We used to have a Four Winns stern drive so we were really nervous because it had such a much deeper draft than our Yamaha!
Just follow the channel markers and you'll be good. It's 30+ feet deep all the way to hwy 19. The only tricky spot is when you make the 90-degree turn West at hwy 356 near Sebastapol. A couple of the markers are gone between there and the entrance to White Rock Creek, and it can be tough to navigate.

Beyond White Rock Creek, we ride all the way past hwy 21, about 70 miles up river, several times per year. You can actually go all the way to the locks/dam at hwy 7, but the depth drops down to 10-12 feet deep.

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=254635

-Greg

captras

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Yea... North of the Onalaska bridge is not the problem...it's knowing where the clear areas are once we are North of Pine Island. When we first but our property asset Livingston, be actually helped/saw a couple of boats that ripped their lower units of because the hit a stump in water that was 10-20 ft deep. So we are a but paranoid about going places we are not familiar with.