• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Help seaweed issues

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
You can also try to jury rig a solution to keep you from getting in the water to clear the intake grate. I'm thinking a rake with a bent handle which would allow you work the obstruction from the back of the boat.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
ok cool, everyone on this coast has seaweed problems, some years worse than others, just wait for the red tide to do a fish kill , that really takes some getting adjusted to. Rather than weeds you get fish in your pumps hundreds of them in floating masses.

Sugarsand gary

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
You can also try to jury rig a solution to keep you from getting in the water to clear the intake grate. I'm thinking a rake with a bent handle which would allow you work the obstruction from the back of the boat.
I think you are right I just put a mini rake with adjustable handle.in my car ready to try.thanks for your reply

Bilmon

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Mirage
Boat Length
Thanks for your reply Bruce I have a sugar sand I have not looked for a clean out but I will Monday.I am going to try again.I am bringing a mini rake.
No clean out port on the Merc. They used to make a " bent rake" like mentioned by@Ronnie

Bilmon

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Mirage
Boat Length
I wonder if the BRP motors use the plastic wear rings like SeaDoo does? My sons ski has been through 4 rings in 4 months of use. Sure the idea is great to have a sacrificial part outside of the impeller but those of us who have hit small wood debris and had them lodges we can get them out and keep motoring on, those same scraps on my sons ski render it almost inoperable from the gouge they create, the lost thrust etc. and each time we have had to disassemble the pump to free them and get a new ring. On my Yamaha, it was pull the plug, wiggle them out, reinstall the plug and party on...
The Merc's use an aluminum wear ring and stainless impeler all the Sugarsands were Mercury powered except for a small model they came out with about their last year that had a Weber engine, don't know how many ,if any, were sold

Englewoodcowboy

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Just one more reason to like Yamaha I suppose.

Sugarsand gary

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
The Merc's use an aluminum wear ring and stainless impeler all the Sugarsands were Mercury powered except for a small model they came out with about their last year that had a Weber engine, don't know how many ,if any, were sold
Thank you for your reply

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Oh yea another good reason to have clean out ports is on the trailer you can pull the clean out ports and use it for a small wood chipper.
Or you hate your neighbor's cat oh no Mr Bill.

farrelltravis

Jetboaters Captain
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The Sugar Sand boats don't have a cleanout. The reverse trick will work on them though.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Yea he knows they don't because no boat builder in their right mind would allow access to the impeller . I love it .

farrelltravis

Jetboaters Captain
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
And - on the flip side of that - Sugar Sands had ZERO plug blowouts and ZERO plugs that got stuck.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Seriously I have an aluminum collapsible pole with a nylon coated long peg on the end that I keep in the front of my ski for the winter months when the water is super cold even below 70, that way I never have to get wet when I have heavy weeds in the intake grate. I just extent the handle and use the peg to extract the weeds, although I usually jump a big boat wake first since that usually gets the weeds out and it's more fun.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
You just have to go back and read the entire thread, it's PROFOUND, dam Glassman that was a real jewel

chris24

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Thanks for the link.I did the rev trick .maybe I did not go fast enough.now I know why you gave me a wise crack before .I am from Tom's river.just moved to Florida two years ago.
My wife moved Down here from New Jersey, she's from Brick.

Geiger41

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Brick and Toms River is close to me. Im living in SOuthern Ocean County now...Tuckerton Beach, even though ther is no beach......go figure..Im from Gloucester City though (Camden County) Work in Atlantic County about 5 miles west of Atlantic City

Sugarsand gary

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Brick and Toms River is close to me. Im living in SOuthern Ocean County now...Tuckerton Beach, even though ther is no beach......go figure..Im from Gloucester City though (Camden County) Work in Atlantic County about 5 miles west of Atlantic City
The only thing I miss ie 5he Jersey shore lots of good Times.I love going to see the b street band.thurs nights at the deck at the golden nuggets.we also have a timeshare in ac we can't sell.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
to pull them back out of the intake the end has just 1 rod about 5/16 of an inch diameter and 3.5 inches long so it can get in between the intake grate tines and pull out the weeds .