• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

House/Start Battery Question

Patman941

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Picked up my new to me boat yesterday and ran into some difficulties with the batteries and need some help.

The boat has a killer JL Audio system with 3 subs! Way more than I need, LOL. 3 batteries to support as well.

Yesterday while anchored on the water I turned the engines off and tried to listen to some tunes. I left the house switch “on” and turned the start switch “off”. As soon as I did that it killed all power to the boat. So In order to listen to music I had to leave both switches in the on position, which made me a bit nervous, as I didn’t want to kill the batteries and be dead on the water. What am I doing wrong here? Any help is always appreciated.

Dixie Highway

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Is there a DVSR (auto parallel switch) that separates the two banks? If so you shouldn’t be in danger of draining the start (unless the PO did something like hook amps or something to the start battery). I don’t think the SX came stock with dual batteries so they were probably added in later. Likely the stereo head unit is powered by the original wiring which was all from one bartery (start battery). Need more info to confirm though.

Weeb

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
you actually bought a 2016 242 didn’t you. With the start battery off and the house on push and hold the button that looks like a light bulb and the connext will come on. It’s called float mode.

Patman941

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
you actually bought a 2016 242 didn’t you. With the start battery off and the house on push and hold the button that looks like a light bulb and the connext will come on. It’s callF1DEF82D-6783-4748-BC3F-344636D14EC2.jpeg4DFA7BBB-5BDA-4DE3-93C8-7810E6FB8AFB.jpeged float mode.
Yes it’s a 2016 242 LS. Oh fantastic! Thank you very much. I also included some photos of the batteries and amps. Im not super confident at everything I’m seeing. I am far from an audio guy, but the previous owner did a great job. 389AF6D6-BCDF-471F-9C1B-F5BF30C13C12.jpeg

Weeb

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I can’t see your ground wires on the batteries. Mine has a battery cable from the start negative to the house negative.
Once you know everything is working properly you shouldn’t have to turn off the start battery because it’s isolated.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
If he has done the house battery voltage fix, then the house and start battery voltage should show correctly on the connext screen (meaning they should be different voltages). If they are always the same, then that fix has not been done. If they are different, then you can simply go out and crank some tunes and confirm later that your start battery doesn't drop much (or at all). It SHOULD be separate "stock" unless the PO did something really dumb.