• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

How many wake surfers do we have here?

farrelltravis

Jetboaters Captain
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Bought a surfboard over the winter. Hope to learn SOON!!!

JCampbell

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We spend most of the time surfing. With 3,180# of ballast available, these boats make a nice wave. Now if we can only figure out how to do it in a straight line!

ar240owner

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Something like this Jim lol , this was a evening when it was just me and Sarah and matthew and we wanted to max it out lol? We had about 3500 there with all you see and all the bags under the seat lolimage.jpg

Jim Robeson

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@Julian...is this hard on the knees? I've had a few knee surgeries and don't ski anymore but have watched you surfer dudes and that definitely looks like fun!!

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
@Julian...is this hard on the knees? I've had a few knee surgeries and don't ski anymore but have watched you surfer dudes and that definitely looks like fun!!
In short...yes it is hard on the knees. I wish I could say otherwise, but I cannot. The only injury I've ever sustained to my knee came about as a result of a bad start getting up on a surf board. The board twisted while I was getting up and I felt my knee pop. That said, I had not been exercising, was out of shape, and I was busy trying to teach my niece how to get up on a board, but not paying enough attention to my position and stance!

I'm sure others will weigh in here on this topic. Now compare it to skiing and wake boarding....its hard to say which it harder on one's knees. Both the latter are higher speed and MUCH tougher on you when you fall! MUCH! But because your feel are fixed in a stance it helps....(you might just take out both knees! LOL).

I gained a healthy respect for paying attention and exercising/stretching properly before surfing. I'm also getting older (no!). But my one knee injury won't stop me from doing this more! @007 should weigh in here too....he's had knee surgery and can provide his perspective.

ar240owner

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We spend most of the time surfing. With 3,180# of ballast available, these boats make a nice wave. Now if we can only figure out how to do it in a straight line!
I agree I think some people don't give these boats enough credit for what they can do !!! I love the wave it putts out !!!! And the circle thing doesn't realy bother me I'm having a blast doing it !!!!

KXCam22

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I find surfing the easiest lowest impact water sport going, easy on the knees (for me at least). I haven't dared to wakeboarded since I wrecked one knee permanently doing it, but I find surfing to be very easy on the joints. I now have a shiny titanium hip and plan to try that out on the surfboard this summer. Wow 3180 ballast is huge. I have a lowly 2000 but I know the boat can handle more. Cam.

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tige
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I find it easier on the knees than most sports!

robbo3

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We surf the Hyperlite Landkock.

image.jpg

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I find wake surfing MUCH easier then any other towing sport. Unless your are on a huge tube going 5 miles per hour. My fatigue on the board is minimal and I could surf all day long. Wakeboarding, on the other hand, about 30 minutes and I am wore out!

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Jim you got me buy 180 pounds, time to buy another bag....
:punch:

lashburn1

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Something like this Jim lol , this was a evening when it was just me and Sarah and matthew and we wanted to max it out lol? We had about 3500 there with all you see and all the bags under the seat lolView attachment 1522

Nice, ours looked like that too, ....Wife loved it.. :(

dan144k

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Any recommendations for a youth surfboard, my friends son is about 70lbs. Anyone selling a used board?

We currently only have an Inland Surfer Red Rocket.

JCampbell

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Any recommendations for a youth surfboard, my friends son is about 70lbs. Anyone selling a used board?

We currently only have an Inland Surfer Red Rocket.
CWB Ride is a good starter board. My daughter is about the same weight and it works for her just fine

Williamsone46

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Big time surfer here. I have a CWB Ride, and a Slingshot SP 5'4'.

Detonate

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tige
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Man, I don't know how ya'll deal with surfing on our boats.

I felt like I wasted so much time, money, and effort into making our boat 'surfable', only to be disappointed at the end of the day.

Takes me for-ev-ah to fill up enough Fat Sacs to do anything useful. Then I have to practically go full throttle to get the boat moving and settle into surf speed. Then you pretty much have to drive in a circle to keep the wave.... Forget changing the config to surf on the other side of the boat... Ridiculous pain.

But the killer is when we are done surfing and want to head to the beach. Takes even longer than for-ev-ah to drain everything.

No way I'd ever setup more than once in a day either...

Backwash

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Me and wife can surf with only 350 in front and 350 tied on swim deck. Not idea but can be done when want to get a quick surf session in. Actually wife can surf with no weight. I'm 6'4 200 pounds. Can do it on a 6'8 Ronix riding straight, or a 5'8 Ronix coal with a slight circle. Just bought a LF fish but still not used to it to ride the small wave. Think some folks are over weighting. Or feel it "can't be done" without a ton of weight. Well it can, just get out there and do it.,

Williamsone46

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
It all depends on the right setup. We have been upgrading the stock bags to fly high bags from wakemakers.com and installing their X-link and the fly high distribution valve. And your golden!

Addicted

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Me and wife can surf with only 350 in front and 350 tied on swim deck. Not idea but can be done when want to get a quick surf session in. Actually wife can surf with no weight. I'm 6'4 200 pounds. Can do it on a 6'8 Ronix riding straight, or a 5'8 Ronix coal with a slight circle. Just bought a LF fish but still not used to it to ride the small wave. Think some folks are over weighting. Or feel it "can't be done" without a ton of weight. Well it can, just get out there and do it.,
Are you going ropeless with this weight? I am more with detonate on this. I love to surf, but it takes allot of time to get filled up to a point where I can go ropeless. Of course I am 280, so that has allot to do with it. I put 500 in the bow, 500 on the swim deck, 1,100 on the floor all the way back, and 900 on the port seat. With this much weight it takes all the boat has to get out of the water and settle in at surf speed, and causes the PP to hunt around for awhile. Once it is settled in, it requires so much throttle to maintain 10mph that the wave is a mess. I can go ropeless, and have allot of fun, but it is not easy for the driver, and the wave is less than desirable. I rode a 6' 1" Duke last year and intend on getting the Red Rocket this year, as the Duke started to feel like a '57 Chevy, as I got more comfortable.

I also agree that wake surfing is the least impact water sport, but I have had the same issue as Julian where the board kicks out sideways during take-0ff causing my knee to twist...hurts! In my case it was my error for not having the board sitting quite perpendicular to the boat. It only tends to happen once I get tired.

Backwash

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yes, ropeless. It's a chore for me and takes a lot of concentration to stay in pocket. But she's all over the place with it at 120 pounds.