• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

How many wake surfers do we have here?

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Yep true that Brendan. :winkingthumbsup"

Marvin willis

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I find a wake surf start to be very similar to a wake board start. I too was curious how in the hell one got up without ones feet being strapped in, but in method 2 above, your feet get planted and forced onto the board, so you really don't need to be strapped in. The hardest part is to plant those feet and keep your heels hard between you and the boat. Once you do that, you just pop out and up. A good teacher (like @007 or @OperationROL and Jim Buck--on his way here I hope) also helps a lot!
What length rope are you using. I just got a board and hoping to try this thing out next weekend

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

CarFanatic

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tige
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Hey guys if I can be of any help I own www.dialedwake.com. We specialize in wakesurf only products. I used to surf a ar230

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Hey guys if I can be of any help I own www.dialedwake.com. We specialize in wakesurf only products. I used to surf a ar230
Surfing behind yamahas has came a long way since you used to do it. Customs bags now for Yamahas and Jet deflection using our Wake Wedge.

CarFanatic

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tige
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I am aware of all the stuff for Yamaha boats.

Jgorm

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Terrible wave, but no ballast or wake surf specific stuff. I just wanted to show that you can still have a blast without a giant wave and tons of ballast. I'm way too lazy to pump up a bunch of bags, but from the pictures it looks like it makes a much better wave.

CarFanatic

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tige
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
A big displacement board is all you need to have fun.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Short wake surfing dedicated rope, with knots and small (or no) surfing handle, is critical for safety.
Wake surfing with a non-surf rope is just asking for limb reduction...
(no joke)

--

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
What length rope are you using. I just got a board and hoping to try this thing out next weekend
Here's some options and info on a few from O'Brien. I'm hoping to bring some into my inventory in about 1 week. I'm really digging on the rastafarian (Jamaican) colored one for myself...
Screenshot_20190513-000427_Chrome.jpg

Whatever rope you use, avoid coiling it up in your hand... having it wrap around a body part would be disastrous.

CarFanatic

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tige
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Check out follow ropes. They make the best ropes and handles in the biz.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
That didn’t really help. The rope I bought is 25’ and reduces in 3’ sections
Sounds good. Does it have a handle? I have two wake surf ropes, one has a T handle, one a normal ski handle. I prefer the ski handle, but it is bigger and heavier - and something larger to deal with when throwing it in the boat.

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That didn’t really help. The rope I bought is 25’ and reduces in 3’ sections
I guess I misinterpreted too... it's going to be fairly short. I don't use the entire length of rope. Start your rider off to the surf side maybe 8ft off the rear of the boat so they come up outside the wake and close to the surf pocket. I'm not sure exactly what that equates to in rope length.

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tige
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Just reading some very good questions and comments in this thread. I’ll summarize our experience. You need to have adjustment in the rope (ie - sections) because of different tower positions, wave, etc. The goal is to have the rider come up in the section of the wave with some push in it. Too close to the boat, no push. Too far back, too much drag. As mentioned, board choice can have be a big factor. If that 25’ rope has 3-4 sections, I’d attach it to the tower and throw it in the wave if you are worried about the length. My wife was always the tester for these things, she had no fear. Speaking of fear, new riders tend to have a lot of fear of running into the boat. Starting them 20-45 degrees off the centerline helps them not freak out, get up easier and pulls them into the wave. If you hit it too hard or if they don’t dig in they will more likely slingshot over the wave. I prefer a rope with a handle, I don’t like holding onto a knotted rope. Rider safety means no coiling the rope around your hand or letting it tangle in your feet. I also have found new riders try to throw the rope in way too soon. Let them feel good about riding with the rope until they get “gas” and “brake” down. When they are ready to go rope less, consider instructing them to toss the rope into the wash side of the wave. That way they keep their balance and are more likely to be successful. Everyone gets off balance throwing the rope in as a newbie, putting weight on their front foot, which gives it “gas” and then they freak out as they rush towards the boat, lean back on the “brake” and get flushed out of the wave in just a few seconds! Oh, and one more thing, sometime if a person keeps getting sucked over the wave, I weave the rope through the tower so it pulls from the side of the boat the rider is on. You might have to adjust rope length to make it work best. Sorry for the ramble and jumble of ideas. Most of it you learn just by doing it, but having the right gear gets you off to a better start!

PS - for teaching a newbie to start, I ask them to lay on the floor in the bottom of the boat, feet towards me. I ask them to bend their knees at a 90 with their feet off the ground. I hand them the rope and tell them to keep the handle between their legs. Then I tell them I am going to pull them up with the rope. Their job is to let me (the boat) do all the work, but to push down with their heels and stand up just like they were standing up out of a chair. I pull them up a couple of times while in the boat so they feel more comfortable when they try it in the water. Also, people tend to make one of 3 mistakes when learning to get up:
1. They lean back too far. People don’t realize how fast they can stand up.
2. They don’t dig in with their heels. The board stays flat, there is not lift and the just scoot across the water with their butt never getting out of the water. It’s like an airplane wing, the board has to flip up against their feet or they will never get lift. If they can’t get this part you might have to have them move their heels to the very edge of the board so it’s easier for the board to flip up until they get the hang of it. They can move their feet further in on successive attempts for better balance when they get up.
3. They don’t keep the rope between their knees. Instant off balance and they will just get ripped off the board no matter what they do!