• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Humm from both engines with key on (engines off) in E-Series boat

Adrenalinejunky

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Pretty hefty price tag. Not sure there is a problem with them but I can not think of anything else that I have owned which has had a similar condition.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Makes me think Yamaha has a voltage leak that is messing with the throttle assembly on some of the E series boats. We need more input from the E series guys. Anyone else with this issue?
@veedubtek you got any ideas?

Last edited:

Adrenalinejunky

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
So what the heck is in a throttle body that would buzz like it does???
Probably an actuator for the electric throttle. I imagine it is what controls the butterfly in the absence of cables and holds it in near closed position similar to choke while the engine is off. I am going to check my truck tomorrow to see if it does it too with key on and engine off.

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
The non-eseries also have electronic throttle bodies but don't make the same noise. The servo on the throttle body is receiveing a signal from the ecu in order fo it to be making noise. So why would it do this on an eseries with the engines off?

Perhaps it has something to do with the push button start. Perhaps it has some to do with the electronic binnicles. Perhaps the ecu needs a sw fix. In any case I would keep telling my dealer and once enough people complain to their dealers and the dealers complain to Yamaha you might get a fix.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
The non-eseries also have electronic throttle bodies but don't make the same noise. The servo on the throttle body is receiveing a signal from the ecu in order fo it to be making noise. So why would it do this on an eseries with the engines off?

Perhaps it has something to do with the push button start. Perhaps it has some to do with the electronic binnicles. Perhaps the ecu needs a sw fix. In any case I would keep telling my dealer and once enough people complain to their dealers and the dealers complain to Yamaha you might get a fix.
Totally agree! Which is why this forum rocks and why I'm glad Yamaha reads it!

Adrenalinejunky

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I have seen on a few car forums where other vehicles that have drive by wire experience a similar sound from the "throttle plate actuator" inside the throttle body.

@Mainah, do you know if the non e-series have cables running to the throttle bodies? I can not say that I have had the chance to look at one other than my own.

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@Adrenalinejunky check out this thread for some photos https://jetboaters.net/threads/installing-perfect-pass.869/

Both the eseries and the non eseries have used the very same throttle body and plate actuator made by mikuni since the introduction of the 1.8l. The non eseries do have cables but they go to sending units as can be see in the referenced post that in turn send a signal to the ecu that then controls the throttle body, fuel injectors, timing, etc.

subysti

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I don't have an E series but I can say that from and electronics point of view the humming is not good. Either the motors are constantly adjusting position and vibrating or they're drawing too much current. When they're humming are they warm? If they keep humming I'm thinking they will fail quickly.

seadude

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
The "key" difference is when the engines are shut off on the e-series certain systems have been left "on" versus turning the standard key off which shuts these things off (as the e-series does when the key is turned off). I doubt there is any real need to be concerned about the activated electronics beyond the buzz noise and some extra current draw.
Yep I noticed the buzing sound the first time out when in float mode. On another thread someone told me about holding the nav light button for a few seconds while the key is off to boot up Conex...
If this works, it may make sense to save some power for long term float modes... or just to kill that damn buzz!

Adrenalinejunky

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I have been trying to make a connection with this noise and my power loss. It seems to be louder on the starboard side but may just seem that way because it is near the wall. But... It is also the starboard engine that has lost about 300 rpms whem compared with the port engine during wot runs. I put new plugs in and should be on the lake around 1:00 today to test the result.

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I would like to suggest that there is a solid state relay somewhere that is leaking voltage causing the hum.

Kane

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I don't know if it's the same hum but mine is through the speakers when I don't have a source playing music. I wrote it off as a Bluetooth humm but goes away as soon as the music starts even if I turn the volume all the way down....

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I don't know if it's the same hum but mine is through the speakers when I don't have a source playing music. I wrote it off as a Bluetooth humm but goes away as soon as the music starts even if I turn the volume all the way down....
Interesting...is it only the tower speakers, or do all the speakers hum?

Kane

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I can't say for sure if it was all, but for sure soundbar. I'll check it out next weekend and get back.

Adrenalinejunky

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I noticed today that if I turn the key to the off position and hold the light button on the connext system it will boot up without power to the throttle bodies so I do not get the sound.

subysti

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Maybe you weren't aware of that feature. They keys do. It need to be on for stereo and such. Just do what you did, press the light button below the connex screen to use the stereo while in float mode.

Adrenalinejunky

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I usually just turn off the engines.

The negative with turning the key off is that it has to reboot after the key is turned off and make the annoying beep along with the exhaust fans.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
@Adrenalinejunky yup.....I learned that one in the last couple of weeks. Better than having the buzz from the engines, but makes @Mainah 's 8 second buzz fix even more important because you have to shut down connext and restart it each time you want to switch from driving to floating.