• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Hydrophase Ridesteady

Bill D

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
It's really interesting that they seem to have specifically targeted Yamaha Jet Boats... @Mainah do you have a side project going? ;)

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I looked at the install instructions. This is a direct copy of perfect pass down to the throttle control method with the exception of using a stepper motor instead if a servo. IMO this is blatant infringement. I would avoid this product as I don't think they will be around very long to offer support.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The Ridesteady has been around for many years, at least since 2010 or so, it was initially pitched as the non-GPS paddlewheel alternative for real water speed to PP, they are totally legit.
There was another one as well, Accu-ski? that disappeared. PP has been around forever and wins with its market share. Not sure what the problem would be with Ridesteady given they have been doing it for at least half a decade? Going into Yamaha twins is a challenge, but a very smart move.

--

Last edited:

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Interesting...looks very similar to PerfectPass....I wonder how they are avoiding patent infringement....
Patent for what?

EDIT: Actually interesting story. PP got caught stealing the patent from Econtrols/Zero-off, and settled to basically be allowed to continue providing servo-based speed control in non-fly-by-wire boats. But the original patent expired, anyway.
https://www.planetnautique.com/vb5/forum/nautique-topics/general-nautique-discussion/10476-zero-off-perfectpass-gps-speed-control-agreement

--

Last edited:

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I have read the actual patents and when it comes to gps speed control on a boat perfect pass/zero off have it locked up hard. My concern is not with the ride steady hardware (well that rotary encoder had better be marine grade unlike the polk transom remotes). My concern is them jumping into the gps game and going after ine of the prime market shares of perfect pass who has a patent for the cable operated gps boat speed control (zero off kept the patent for electronic operated speed control and is likely collecting royalties on the e series and rotax boats.

Time will tell but I am sticking with perfect pass.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have read the actual patents and when it comes to gps speed control on a boat perfect pass/zero off have it locked up hard. My concern is not with the ride steady hardware (well that rotary encoder had better be marine grade unlike the polk transom remotes). My concern is them jumping into the gps game and going after ine of the prime market shares of perfect pass who has a patent for the cable operated gps boat speed control (zero off kept the patent for electronic operated speed control and is likely collecting royalties on the e series and rotax boats.

Time will tell but I am sticking with perfect pass.
Not to be negative, but PP display tends to go bad over time (some even consider snatching an extra display when those come up for sale - as a spare). That usually happens past the one year warranty, LOL -- a $200 part they will gladly sell to you. Not sure if it is a marinization/waterproofing issue or not, but judging by well known problems with the servos frying from simple condensation I would say that is highly likely.
https://jetboaters.net/threads/perfectpass-seized-motor.11150/#post-190884

--

Last edited:

Bill D

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
So I really like the display of the Ridesteady. It looks like there is a little more information and it may be easier to use with the wheel. And, they addressed possibly my biggest complaint with PP, that you can't dim the freaking speedo.:mad: At night the blue backlight is terribly bright. I have to cover it with a towel to be able to see anything in front of me. The ridestats would be kinda cool, but not something I really crave.

But, there is some BLATANT misinformation in the Ridesteady marketing docs. First, PP does have an RPM mode. And a slalom mode. Second, PP does have a launch adjustment. Third, PP does have a tachometer display. Fourth, it can be equipped to display air and water temp... The list goes on.

If they really want to gain some market share from PP, they should price their system at $799.

The thing that is most entertaining to me is how they mention on seemingly every page of their website how you can synchronize the engines and in the video above, they are off. Lol

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The thing that is most entertaining to me is how they mention on seemingly every page of their website how you can synchronize the engines and in the video above, they are off. Lol
Yeah, what's with that? - I noticed that, too, an OEM tach could be off. But this is a great feature to add - for sure.

--

Last edited:

Ziess21

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Sooo... I came here to post that I saw the ad on my FB too only to discover you guys beat me to it by a day, lol.

I just got off the phone with Justin at Hydrophase and he was very helpful. Apparently these are NOT servo controlled for the Yamahas, they run off the sensor at the APS and are digitally controlled. He stated that the install would be way, way simpler and only consisted of some light power wiring at the helm and hooking up a harness at the motors (APS unit and Cam Position sensors).

I'm super interested and am going to try and get one of the first units and play with it once they're available. If its trulls somewhat plug and play then this will beat PP hands down.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I noticed they have made some updates to the incorrect information about electronic throttles versus using solenoids for various year models. Currently they continue to believe that 2006 to 2015 210 models do not need solenoids. I am fairly certain those have standard output MR1s without any electrical control.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Sooo... I came here to post that I saw the ad on my FB too only to discover you guys beat me to it by a day, lol.

I just got off the phone with Justin at Hydrophase and he was very helpful. Apparently these are NOT servo controlled for the Yamahas, they run off the sensor at the APS and are digitally controlled. He stated that the install would be way, way simpler and only consisted of some light power wiring at the helm and hooking up a harness at the motors (APS unit and Cam Position sensors).

I'm super interested and am going to try and get one of the first units and play with it once they're available. If its trulls somewhat plug and play then this will beat PP hands down.
All Yamaha jet boats EXCEPT the new 2015+ E-series have cables to operate throttle assemblies.
Are you saying the Hydrophase system circumnavigates the throttle cables?

--

Last edited:

Ziess21

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
They all have mechanical throttle to the APS sensor, from there it is turned digital and sent to the computer on the motor. See the attached pic of the APS unit.

Attachments

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
All Yamaha jet boats EXCEPT the new 2015+ E-series are w/mechanical throttles.
Are you saying the Hydrophase system circumnavigates the throttle cables?--
Hydrophase's website claims that models with an accelerator position sensor mounted on the wall by the engine use their "Electronic Throttle" version.

http://www.hydrophase.com/throttle

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
They all have mechanical throttle to the APS sensor
My thinking is that only 1.8 liter models have the APS sensor while MR1 powered examples use a mechanical throttle. Although I do have some question about how no wake mode works.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
They all have mechanical throttle to the APS sensor, from there it is turned digital and sent to the computer on the motor. See the attached pic of the APS unit.
That is what we have.
If that is the case -- Ridesteady can bypass the cable to APS -- it is absolutely a game changer.

--

Last edited:

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I am surprised we have not heard anything about it until @RiverRat and you brought this up here!

I've had the PP in my previous Yammie, and there is a lot of moving parts. Having a system that splices into the APS, and acts like an electronic throttle, would be so much better. Not even a comparison, assuming it works as advertised.

Do you know what is the Ridesteady setup in the boat in @RiverRat video clip? It is obviously a 1.8. Is it working with no servo or step motors?

EDIT: @Mainah I'm very curious what is your take on this...?
--