• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

I bought a school bus!

Trevor Shipman

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Buying a new house has REALLY made progress come to almost a complete stop for the past 4 months or so. We’re finally about settled in though and I’ve widdled the honey-do list down to a point I can pick back up on the bus. Best news is the bus is now at the new house rather than it being at my brothers 35mins away. So really hoping to get some good progress going.

This weekend I got the powered awning installed. Worked out great, really happy with it. The only thing I don’t love is you have to go around the support arms when it’s open to get inside the bus. Someone, mostly likely me, will surely hit the arm with their head a few times. There wasn’t enough room to bolt the arm over the door. it’ll be fine though.

Next project I think is to start creating the custom base pan for the wet bath so I can finish up the plumbing.

0E68DFF4-03E4-402C-97EC-8AB7DC4A9580.jpeg

C3AD7EE0-22BC-4415-99DB-72550086EF7A.jpeg

1934BF18-7702-4A3F-96E8-E7CCF27EA13A.jpeg

JetBoatPenguin

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Anyone else thinking that the front of the bus is begging for a big bull bar or moose bar! Trevor maybe LKQ has some you can pickup for a song. ;-)
I bet having the bus at the new house will help quite a bit....

ChrisM

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VR
Boat Length
The solera awnings are nice to have. Did you choose 12v, or 18v? The 18v is a high torque and supposed to be a little faster operation.

Capture.JPG

Trevor Shipman

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The solera awnings are nice to have. Did you choose 12v, or 18v? The 18v is a high torque and supposed to be a little faster operation.

View attachment 138770
Nice to have is right, pricey as well! I did the 18v, nothing to really compare it to as I’ve only had a manual awning in the past. I certainly wouldn’t qualify this thing as far though, but it sure beats having to teach the wife every time how to set it up manually 😜

Trevor Shipman

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ok, so we now have the diesel heater in, I was able to tap into the main fuel tank so basically I’ll never have to worry about running the heat. The wet bath is rocked and red guarded, ready for tile. All the plumbing, grey tank, black tank is done. Counters are in, sink is in. Couch is framed up. Wheels cleaned up and painted. We’re getting closer for sure. I fully under estimated the amount of work this would take by at least 4x but I have to say I’m really proud and happy with how it’s turning out.
87A431B2-5E3C-4CC4-9E4F-5EBC6597D66C.jpeg59195CC8-9055-4C53-89B9-D3529DFEB384.jpegAFF34292-1E6E-41F2-B1D8-265612900C65.jpegE66F4396-EA7A-48FB-988A-8888838DB844.jpeg14370D94-B350-419B-A587-F42A2976A3C0.jpeg81F655EF-42C9-4E25-BB55-51B6826138F6.jpegD1C05AF8-1811-4D7C-AD88-E54923C2BCCC.jpeg

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Trevor Shipman

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Do you have to consider the weight of items you put in and the materials you chose to ensure you aren't overweight or too much weight on one side?

Looks awesome
To be honest Julian, I haven’t really given it much through at all. These buses are built like a tank. Unlike when I’m in our travel trailer where I can feel the unit flex as I walk around, I don’t feel any movement in the bus. Should I be keeping track? Probably. But I think with the water tanks on one side, the quartz counter top on the other side, fridge on another and tile bathroom on the other etc, etc... I think it’s probably somewhat close, but just guessing.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
To be honest Julian, I haven’t really given it much through at all. These buses are built like a tank. Unlike when I’m in our travel trailer where I can feel the unit flex as I walk around, I don’t feel any movement in the bus. Should I be keeping track? Probably. But I think with the water tanks on one side, the quartz counter top on the other side, fridge on another and tile bathroom on the other etc, etc... I think it’s probably somewhat close, but just guessing.
I imagine that total weight will also play a big part is overall mpg? Which is why RV and boat builders are always looking for good looking, but light materials...

Trevor Shipman

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I imagine that total weight will also play a big part is overall mpg? Which is why RV and boat builders are always looking for good looking, but light materials...
Yeah I’m sure you’re right but I’m not going to drive myself crazy over mpg’s, Im stuck using the materials I know how to work with. With that said, I do wish I knew how to weld, that would have been very helpful throughout the build.

ChrisM

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VR
Boat Length
I'm curious to know the process you'll go through to de commission the registration and or title from Commercial Passenger or Passenger vehicle to Recreational Vehicle.

svana

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I’d think one might consider weight but when you factor in how much rows and rows of seats and kids weigh, I feel like it shouldn’t be too far off.

Trevor Shipman

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I’d think one might consider weight but when you factor in how much rows and rows of seats and kids weigh, I feel like it shouldn’t be too far off.
yeah that’s kind of my thinking. Plus I’ve driven regular motor homes and those to me are a bit scary as far as weight goes. I’ve got no concerns about what I’ve added to the bus. It’s the frame they use for many moving trucks.
I'm curious to know the process you'll go through to de commission the registration and or title from Commercial Passenger or Passenger vehicle to Recreational Vehicle.
Yeah, you have to have it inspected. It has to have 5 of like 7 or 8 things. Plumbing, AC, propane, beds, heat... I can’t remember all of them. But once you have those and a Stete Trooper validates you can convert the title to an RV.

Trevor Shipman

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Finished the propane lines as well as all the plumbing including grey/black tanks. Really happy with how the grey and black tanks turned out. Eve thing is really locked in, no movement on the pvc, tanks, or the outlet valve... Really sturdy!

Next is tiling the bathroom this week.

514608D1-D4BE-4CF7-AF71-00EF4BA1C520.jpeg
69294698-B1FF-41A0-B2E5-0C4DDB7ABDEE.jpeg

EC02A7A8-3DC5-4645-B883-5A39060EEC7D.jpeg

C9FF2A7E-D84F-4BBA-8F3C-B9D82DD3250E.jpeg

PEARCE

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Very nice work @Trevor Shipman ! It's hard to tell in the pics and I don't know if you have mentioned it or not but I was wondering about your fridge. Did you go with a rv type or residential? What is the size of your propane tanks? They appear pretty small. I'm sure you're aware that if you run your furnace for heat it'll suck down the propane real quick. Very nice build! I'm very impressed!

Trevor Shipman

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hey @PEARCE thank you! It’s been a lot of learning as I go.

I thought about going the residential route but everything I’ve read they just are not meant to be traveling down the road. Some people have had zero issues and some have. Could really never get a definitive answer. From a cost standpoint it was tempting to go residential, but I ended up going with the Furrion RV 12v fridge. It runs off the batteries. So far I’m really impressed with it. Quiet, cools down way faster than our other camper, and alot of room inside as it doesn’t have the cooling fins. Haven’t put her to the test yet but so far I’m happy with the purchase. There are black stainless steel panels that will go on the front once I’m all done with the build that will look much nicer too.

Yeah as far as the tanks go, I went back and forth on these for WEEKS! Do I do something that is removable? One that is mounted permanently? I didn’t want them to hang too low for esthetic and safety reasons either. I finally came across the pancake tanks that seem to be perfect for my needs! They are 11 gallon tanks, which I think will be more than enough. The reason being is all our heat will come from a diesel heater, that is connected to the bus fuel tank, so no heat will touch those tanks. That leaves the stove and hot water heater. I can’t imagine me needing to have the hot water heater on while drive down the road. We camp where there is shore power so that really kinda leaves just the stove. So I think, we’ll find out, that I should be covered... Time will tell. I do like that I can easily take the out to go get filled though.

But as always, I appreciate the feedback, I’m making most of this up as I go and certainlynot much of an expert on any of this, always appreciate the second pair of eyes!

Trevor Shipman

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We’re all tiled! Got the counter/sink in today. Need to do some finishing touches as well as add some cabinet doors. I used PVC board for all the trim in the bath, still need to do some sealing around it all though. Also, put a barrirer underneath the trim so if water does get behind it will catch there and flow out. But none the less we are getting pretty close to putting a done stamp on the bathroom.

I’m finally at a point where it’s getting fun again. Putting in the finishing touches is always the most rewarding.
F8100FF8-F4FA-4AD3-BE2C-84DE132A8006.jpeg

9E36BB49-86FE-44F2-896F-83EE8AE7A954.jpeg

3765830E-DB37-42A8-877E-27F8E3B8CBC9.jpeg

Trevor Shipman

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That’s a great question... I’m hoping around 7k but I’m kinda pulling that number out of my a$$, which means probably more like 10k.

There is quite a bit of work to do but at a high level:

- Remove seats
- Remove all interior paneling so I can spray foam insulate
- Paint the exterior
- Add rooftop AC
- All kitchen appliances (Refrig, stove/oven, sink)
- Add black, grey, and fresh water tanks underneath
- Toilet/tile shower
- Cabinets
- Sound proofing
- Plumbing
- Laminate floors

Offfffff a lot of work! But if I can get a reliable towing/fun RV out of this for under 15k all said and done, I’ll be a real happy man!
By the way, felt like I should update this, 7k HHAHAHAHAHAHAH what a fool!!!! Not even close. I think I’ll be more in the 25k-30k when this is done. BUT! I think that still a steal based on the fit and finish of the end product.

Trevor Shipman

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
This is awesome, add me to the list to start searching for buses. When it comes time for paint, look into wrapping it... I just did an ‘06 Tacoma in 3m satin gray for $500.. a lot less messy than paint and something you can do yourself.

*Edit. thanks a lot... picking up one on Saturday. I'm screwed.
I just caught this, did you really end up buying a bus???