• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

I bought a school bus!

AZMark

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
We’re all tiled! Got the counter/sink in today. Need to do some finishing touches as well as add some cabinet doors. I used PVC board for all the trim in the bath, still need to do some sealing around it all though. Also, put a barrirer underneath the trim so if water does get behind it will catch there and flow out. But none the less we are getting pretty close to putting a done stamp on the bathroom.

I’m finally at a point where it’s getting fun again. Putting in the finishing touches is always the most rewarding.
View attachment 147755

View attachment 147756

View attachment 147757
That looks really great, what a cool project.

Yambers

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Always been something I wanted to do. Had the chance to buy a running bus 10 years ago for $300. Should have jumped on it.

Trevor Shipman

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thank you... I feel I would be doing a disservice if I wasn’t upfront about this project... Long story short, ITS. A. LOT. OF. WORK. Way more than I ever thought. I thought, rip out the seats, throw in some cabinets, sink, and you’re campin! I was flat out WRONG.

I’d say you spend an equal amount of time figuring things out doing as you do actual work, but it’s not for the faint of heart. Everytime I go to Lowe’s, it’s $100.

With all of that said, I couldn’t be happier now that I’m close to the finish line. But if I had to start over, I would think twice. In my opinion, I’m saving over 70k doing this from buying something new, and it’s crazy, there isn’t one squeak in this bus, I’ve screwed and glued everything. No sway either. It was meant for weight, and so far, I notice nothing but solid right now.

Trevor Shipman

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hoping one of you smart guys can help me solve an issue.

I bought a Samsung 32” Smart TV for the bus. Going down the road I won’t have AC power unless I turn on the generator. What I’d like to avoid is if the wife wants to stream something while underway I have to run the generator. Is there a AC/DC switch something I can hook up to the tv so when we are underway it can run off DC, when parked and plugged in it moves to AC?

I can’t seem to solve this issue. I know they make DC rv type tv’s but they not as feature rich as a Samsung.

Thanks for the assist!

AZMark

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Hoping one of you smart guys can help me solve an issue.

I bought a Samsung 32” Smart TV for the bus. Going down the road I won’t have AC power unless I turn on the generator. What I’d like to avoid is if the wife wants to stream something while underway I have to run the generator. Is there a AC/DC switch something I can hook up to the tv so when we are underway it can run off DC, when parked and plugged in it moves to AC?

I can’t seem to solve this issue. I know they make DC rv type tv’s but they not as feature rich as a Samsung.

Thanks for the assist!
I don’t know if there’s something automatic.

You can certainly get small 12v dc to 120v ac inverters that would run an led tv and related devices. We use a crappy one from the parts store when we tailgate.

You’d have to move the plug or wire in a manual switch with that when you wanted to run on the generator though.

Trevor Shipman

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thank you both... yeah, I didn’t there there was something out there.

I was hoping I could have both DC and AC wired to an outlet then have a switch to determine the power source. I know that’s probably laughable but I’m no power or electrician type guy. Worth a shot asking.

thanks!

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
You could do exactly what you want with a beefy 2 pole 2 throw switch wired to that outlet. one side to your normal power, and the other to your AC Inverter you run occasionally.

It's like a valve to select which source feeds outlet. Middle Off, One side, current comes from those 2 screws, other side, electricity feeds from the screws on that other side.

Maybe I'm missing something, but its an easy way to select which power source would feed it.

Trevor Shipman

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You could do exactly what you want with a beefy 2 pole 2 throw switch wired to that outlet. one side to your normal power, and the other to your AC Inverter you run occasionally.

It's like a valve to select which source feeds outlet. Middle Off, One side, current comes from those 2 screws, other side, electricity feeds from the screws on that other side.

Maybe I'm missing something, but its an easy way to select which power source would feed it.
Hmmmm now this is interesting! Thank you!!! Need to do some googling to see if it will work but I’m picking up what you’re putting down!

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Could you not just ALWAYS run the TV off the batteries. Then setup the generator to replenish/top off the batteries as needed? Might make for a larger battery bank than originally intended.

Just seems like adding a switch to change between DC and AC source is a complication that shouldn't have to be there. Just let the TV always pull from the DC to AC inventor, then put a battery charger on the AC circuit to refill/topoff/maintain the batteries.

I know little to nothing about RV's tough.

Trevor Shipman

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Could you not just ALWAYS run the TV off the batteries. Then setup the generator to replenish/top off the batteries as needed? Might make for a larger battery bank than originally intended.

Just seems like adding a switch to change between DC and AC source is a complication that shouldn't have to be there. Just let the TV always pull from the DC to AC inventor, then put a battery charger on the AC circuit to refill/topoff/maintain the batteries.

I know little to nothing about RV's tough.
This is also a good point. I don’t think led’s take much power anyways.

anyone have tips on batteries? Right now I have 2 interstate 6v golf cart batteries. Should I add 2 more or make a swap for something fancier? The refrigerator is 12v for what it’s worth in the thought process.

Trevor Shipman

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That’s pretty cool! Thanks for sharing.

I think I’m going to give that switch a try, cheap and if it works then that will be a great setup for me.

with that said, now I want that battery bank! 🤣

rad1026

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I wouldn't over think it. Today's LED TV's pull minimal amps. Check the draw of the TV. I run two 6v golf cart batteries in my RV and run the TV all the time with no issues. I have a cheap amp hour meter hooked to my system that tells me my true voltage, not just the stupid lights that are on a normal RV voltage indicator. I know that my two golf cart batteries are, I think 100 amp hours? That is off the top of my head. If the tv is only drawing 1.5 amps, well that's a lot of viewing before you have to worry. Without a doubt the best thing I did to minimize amp hour draw on my RV was to replace all lighting with LEB bulbs. If you haven't done that do it! Makes a huge difference. You did the right thing with the two 6 volt true deep cell house batteries. One thing you have to remember is, it takes a LONG time to charge those batteries. If you let them get low, you will be running your generator for a LONG time to charge them. You also have to make sure your on board AC/DC converter is rated to charge multiple batteries. I'm sure since you are starting from scratch you researched that before you purchased your converter. I think you are doing an awesome job!

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Trevor Shipman

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Long shot, but does anyone know anyone that is handy with a sewing machine around the Charlotte, NC area?

I ordered the foam for the couch. Not looking for any fancy design, just a basic cushion cover.

Thanks!

YamahaForMe

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I believe there are inverters that will automatically switch between battery and AC sources. Personally, I would just run it straight inverter.

Are you going to charge the house batteries from the alternator? All newer RVs do this.

Its kinda considered bad form to mix AC and DC circuits together as proposed. Not saying it won't work.

Trevor Shipman

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I believe there are inverters that will automatically switch between battery and AC sources. Personally, I would just run it straight inverter.

Are you going to charge the house batteries from the alternator? All newer RVs do this.

Its kinda considered bad form to mix AC and DC circuits together as proposed. Not saying it won't work.
Yeah I after much thinking I’m going to do what you suggest, doing a straight inverter.

I’m not currently setting it up to charge the house batteries. I don’t know enough about overloading the alternator (if that’s even a thing). I have 2 golf cart batteries, the only thing that could/would be running down the road are led lights, TV, and the fridge (it’s 12v). Obv the fridge will be the most taxing so I plan on adding 2 more batteries to my bank.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Long shot, but does anyone know anyone that is handy with a sewing machine around the Charlotte, NC area?

I ordered the foam for the couch. Not looking for any fancy design, just a basic cushion cover.

Thanks!
@zipper and his wife have made some amazing cushions. Wonder if they would sew some things for you if you had a pattern?!!!?!?!