• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Interesting Article on Boat Sales

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
We are in the same boat - no pun intended. :)
A couple weeks ago we purchased a 2017 AR210 that was still brand new with full warranty. This is our first ever boat. Like others said, it makes for good family isolation time during the COVID. From what I hear, boat sales in Alberta, Canada are up big time too now.

Sure glad I found my way to this forum and a big thank you to everyone for sharing your expertise and knowledge.

As we approached the boat ramp, returning from our first ride on the water, I had my son open the floor locker to grab the boat fenders. Much to my surprise the locker was 3/4 full of water. I later realized all the compartment carpets under the seats were damp also. Searching this forum, I discovered that the problem was the drain tube in the anchor locker. I plugged the gaps in the drain hole with silicon, and successfully addressed this issue.

A couple things I have wondered about:
  • Jet Pilot Thrust vectors or the Cobra jet steering systems. Are they worth it? which set-up is better? Based on my first few drives around the docks, some added low speed control would be beneficial. :)
  • I often wonder what basic gear or tools I should have on the water? Simple things to help a person out in a pinch with more typical or likely boat issues.
  • What other peoples favorite accessories or modifications are?
  • It appears lots of people on this forum are running in salt water. I wonder, in lake water applications, is flushing the motors and pulling the port plugs on the regular as important?
Thanks again Jet Boaters Forum.

Woodsy
Pull the cleanout plugs when not in the water. I've never flushed my engines on this boat or the last. I'm generally running in pretty clean lakes. If I was in a river, I'm not sure what I would do.

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

JetMania

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
@Darren Scherer I hope that some way they can get out some new boats so you can at least see some water time late summer or early fall. That would be awesome.
Thank you!! That would be ideal. We bought our current boat (that we haven’t had for over 10 months), it was July 15, 2018. It died August 4, 2019. So we’ve only had partial summers for the past two summers. All this after zero problems with our 2001 SeaDoo jet boat for 5 years and that boat had two motors.

I appreciate your good vibes! Thank you!

Last edited:

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Crob83

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Change out that Bow Roller, before it breaks your heart. Mine did on first launch, scuffed up the boat a bit.
I saw a couple brand new AR240s and 212x's out on the lake on Saturday. Every trailer I passed in the parking lot I could tell was the Yamaha trailer because they had no license plates yet and that shitty Yamaha bow roller on them...lol.

Diybrad

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I got lucky and decided to pull the trigger in a 242x at the Tampa boat show on March 8th. I got $5k off list and 5 year warranty. They never closed Pinellas marinas so I was able to “Social distance” at Three Rooker for the last 3 months. If you drive past Cycle Springs now, their lot is mostly empty.

Attachments

bthessel

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I am wondering if we will see a huge amount of used boats for sale in the fall. I think a lot of people are buying right now because they have a lot of free time and extra money in their pocket that may not last. All recreation vehicle sales are through the roof right now. RV's, ATV's etc. I have heard of more than a few people using the extra $600 a week in unemployment money to buy things like used boats, new jetskis and new ATV's. Those folks buying used boats are driving demand for new ones. The problem may be that extra $600 a week ends at the end of July. Also the Federal loan program that companies got made them guarantee no layoffs till Sept. 30th. What happens after that could really hit things hard. I am also wondering how many people get to fall and realize they have to pay to store a boat over the winter and they didn't plan for it.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I would suspect the market may be flooded in the fall or the spring after people pay on boats through the winter and can't use them in a lot of areas. Which would be good for people buying used boats, as well as if the 2021 don't move as fast it may create a lot of incentives. Of course those of us who purchased this year or last year and would consider upgrading, puts in a very interesting spot... new vs used. Of course this is my theory, which apparently I have a lot of lately.

Also as far as tow vehicles. I know Ford, not sure about the others, was extending leases for free so I anticipate that this fall there is going to be a lot of lease turn in beginning to flood the market.

minn19

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
I am wondering if we will see a huge amount of used boats for sale in the fall. I think a lot of people are buying right now because they have a lot of free time and extra money in their pocket that may not last. All recreation vehicle sales are through the roof right now. RV's, ATV's etc. I have heard of more than a few people using the extra $600 a week in unemployment money to buy things like used boats, new jetskis and new ATV's. Those folks buying used boats are driving demand for new ones. The problem may be that extra $600 a week ends at the end of July. Also the Federal loan program that companies got made them guarantee no layoffs till Sept. 30th. What happens after that could really hit things hard. I am also wondering how many people get to fall and realize they have to pay to store a boat over the winter and they didn't plan for it.
I wouldn't say it would be because unemployment runs out since you still have to qualify for the loan etc. I'd more say because people will find out that boats especially are a lot of work/money to store/maintain etc etc. I would think people will offload them more because they are tired of dealing with them and probably won't use them as much as they originally thought they would. But, who knows.

bthessel

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I wouldn't say it would be because unemployment runs out since you still have to qualify for the loan etc. I'd more say because people will find out that boats especially are a lot of work/money to store/maintain etc etc. I would think people will offload them more because they are tired of dealing with them and probably won't use them as much as they originally thought they would. But, who knows.
I think you are correct. I think the extra unemployment money may be sparking demand for cheap used boats though. On some facebook groups for boating in my area there are almost daily posts of people looking for boats in the 6-10k price range and I have never seen that before. Also at the lake the amount of boats I have seen on the water that I wouldn't feel safe taking off the trailer has been crazy this year. I think you are correct that those buyers may be shocked when fall comes and they have find somewhere to store them and maintain them.

dscable

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yeah, it's crazy what they are selling for right now.....I bought a 2013 AR190 from a forum member last fall, and I'm already considering selling/trading to move into the 242x sooner than I had planned. Not sure if I'll see the re-sell value this high again in the near future.

Inthrustwetrust

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I would have to agree, not pass judgment but a lot of people that ended up on unemployment were in the lower income service industry, that probably weren’t going to qualify/afford a loan for a 40-70k boat. The people spending 5-10k probably don’t really care that much about maintenance. Toss a tarp over it out back and hope she starts in the spring with a jump.

If the economy returns to some normalcy and over the next year everything opens back up I would expect in 2-3 years you are going to see some really nice low hour boats for sale. Once people start taking normal vacations, kids going to summer camp, sports practices etc, the boats are going to sit in storage and people are going unload them. Not worth paying a massive payment every month for something they use a couple times a summer.

Outnumbered212S

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length

Attachments

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral