• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Iridium spark plugs. Worth the $$$$?

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Bummer...nearest Advanced Auto is 84 miles away...in Wichita Falls! @jawsf16 , you want to grab these for me? lol

MOA_Chaser

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So what I want to know...is why you didn't order 16? Coupon and a deal X2! I kept a set in my storage container in the boat, gapped, anti-seized, and ready to go, and a spare set in the shop. That way I was ready for anything...and with an annual change, I never needed them. I am going to see what the damage for the LFR6A is!
I probably will get another set, I don't 'need' them this year but I have some time with the coupons and since I don't have to worry about shipping I can pick them up whenever...

For that price it would probably be worth paying for a USPS flat rate box for shipping!

Boat Crazy

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So what I want to know...is why you didn't order 16? Coupon and a deal X2! I kept a set in my storage container in the boat, gapped, anti-seized, and ready to go, and a spare set in the shop. That way I was ready for anything...and with an annual change, I never needed them. I am going to see what the damage for the LFR6A is!
AT O'Reily's the LFR6A plugs cost between $4.50 -$5.50. It does vary by location. Sign up for their flyers. In the Fall, very often they have sales on NGK spark plugs.

jawsf16

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Bummer...nearest Advanced Auto is 84 miles away...in Wichita Falls! @jawsf16 , you want to grab these for me? lol
I checked Mel - It forces you to call the store for availability. Ten bucks off is a good deal though...

KXCam22

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Different strokes for different folks. I am a huge iridium fan. Not sure about the boat but in all my dirtbikes and street bike I noticed a difference. With anti-seize they won't get stuck. I had a set in my truck (that I antiseized at new) for 7 years. They came out nicely. If a guy was concerned he could take them out and re-antiseize them every couple of years. Mine have been in my boat for 4 years. Cam.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Here is a real bitch...the LFR6A is more money, like $6.99 each, and more many places, especially yamaha. The LFR6A-11 is the same plug, but gapped wrong and is $2.00 cheaper. After a little research, it is that price difference all over the planet. Guys are saying it is the same, but I am thinking maybe not and NGK isn't talking. I found plugs through amazon for $5.11 each but $3+shipping...unless you order 8, and then free shipping! I decided to wait, I have 8 in reserve for my 10 hour inspection already. Here is another strange thing...the owners and service manual does not list the Yamaha part number for the oil filter anywhere...??? I have two in reserve, so I have the numbers, but can't believe they don't have it listed. Anyone else run into that on the 1.8L? Hope this isn't a hijack...were talking plugs too!

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
AT O'Reily's the LFR6A plugs cost between $4.50 -$5.50. It does vary by location. Sign up for their flyers. In the Fall, very often they have sales on NGK spark plugs.
Gary, the LFR6A is $6.99 down here at O'Reilly's. But the LFR6A-11 (WRONG GAP) is only $4.59. You sure your buying the right plug? The factory gap on the straight LFR6A is .032" vs .043" on the -11. Not sure it is the same, but this yjb thread indicates these guys ran them and they are cheaper.
http://yamahajetboaters.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=43424
And this green hulk thread indicates the differences as well...
http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=148020
Seems strange that a gap difference would be a $2 difference in the same plug. I can't believe it is the same, I am going to do a little more checking, specifically with NGK.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
@txav8r are you going to post the filter info for your model?

Anyone know if the plug and filters for the 110HP motors in the 210s are the same as the 160HP? Was trying to get one post with all the plug filter info in it for the FAQ.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I will...

bucks448

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Gary, the LFR6A is $6.99 down here at O'Reilly's. But the LFR6A-11 (WRONG GAP) is only $4.59. You sure your buying the right plug? The factory gap on the straight LFR6A is .032" vs .043" on the -11. Not sure it is the same, but this yjb thread indicates these guys ran them and they are cheaper.
Seems strange that a gap difference would be a $2 difference in the same plug. I can't believe it is the same, I am going to do a little more checking, specifically with NGK.
Ha, I was in the middle of replying to your other comment...
I'm sure there could be something different other than the gap, but it wasn't noticeable for the ~30hrs I used them.

As for the oil filter part number, not in the manual, when I looked it up online it's changed at least once, maybe that's why it's not there (I haven't checked my manual though).

Boat Crazy

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Mel, Just checked my receipts. For 2012 purchase and 2013 purchase. They both were the same exact price * NGK part # 6668 spark plug $4.49 ea. $35.92 +$2.60 tax= $38.52. Definitely the correct plug. I always double check the gap and always the proper gap. Got to thinking though. At this price, My military 10% discount was probably taken into account but even without the discount they would still be cheaper than you stated. It must be location.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
The spark plugs on the 1.8L non supercharged engine
LFR6A
Oil filter is
69J-13440-01

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I may have to come for a visit to TableRock then!

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Just my two cents...Talked with a Yamaha service tech before changing plugs and oil this spring. He was of the opinion that if those plugs were really that much better then Yamaha would have put them in at the factory. I have to believe that. So, I saved my money and installed the NGK's. Used the extra money on cold, adult beverages to enjoy after the job was complete!!
The service Tech has a point in theory, but there are a lot of things that could be "better" at a $50K price point that Yamaha saved cost on to pad the bottom line.

jdonalds

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The last time I bought irridiums (Jan 2013) they were $7.49 each. For my money they are worth it. As soon as I installed them I noticed the engines seemed to idle better, smoother, sweeter.

Jim Robeson

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Here is a real bitch...the LFR6A is more money, like $6.99 each, and more many places, especially yamaha. The LFR6A-11 is the same plug, but gapped wrong and is $2.00 cheaper. After a little research, it is that price difference all over the planet. Guys are saying it is the same, but I am thinking maybe not and NGK isn't talking. I found plugs through amazon for $5.11 each but $3+shipping...unless you order 8, and then free shipping! I decided to wait, I have 8 in reserve for my 10 hour inspection already. Here is another strange thing...the owners and service manual does not list the Yamaha part number for the oil filter anywhere...??? I have two in reserve, so I have the numbers, but can't believe they don't have it listed. Anyone else run into that on the 1.8L? Hope this isn't a hijack...were talking plugs too!
This is from Surdyke Yamaha at Lake of the Ozarks...LFR6A $5.55...This is the same place that I ordered my oil from. Great prices on our parts.
http://www.surdykeyamaha.com/KeywordProducts/Search?criteria=LFR6A

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
That is a great price @Jim Robeson , you and Gary have great pricing up there in the "show me" state! I doubt I could order and get them sent with shipping and make up the difference. I have found them as cheap as $5.11 but with exaggerated shipping costs. Even Yamaha Sports Plaza is only $5.76, but the shipping makes it less attractive than buying locally. But I will check with Surdyke and see what they would hit me for shipping. I looked at buying 4 filters and 16 plugs for reserves and hoped to save on shipping putting all that together, but the extra just jacked up the shipping costs. Maybe not at Surdyke?

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Hmm, LFR6A is not available right now at Surdyke...

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Ha, I was in the middle of replying to your other comment...
I'm sure there could be something different other than the gap, but it wasn't noticeable for the ~30hrs I used them.

@bucks448 As for the oil filter part number, not in the manual, when I looked it up online it's changed at least once, maybe that's why it's not there (I haven't checked my manual though).
The thing on the oil filters...there are two sizes that fit. One is made short for a clearance issue on the ski I believe. Both filters are the exact same base and filter media, but the internal circulation around the top of the filter is more roomy. I can't remember where I read about all that but I think it was on Greenhulk, where a dealer service tech cut the two similar but different filters apart, and the only difference was can size. May be a similar smoke and mirrors thing going on with the spark plugs. But it seems strange to me, to see a $2 difference in these two very similar plugs and it just be the pre gap setting.

woodard1983

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
the difference is most likely temp ratings....I ran across the issue in my Ultra 150....found plugs that "seemed" identical for $5/per instead of the almost $30 that the correct model cost....after quite a bit of research I found that the 2 plugs had different temp ratings...not sure if it's the same issue or not, but my point is, it's $16, I personally wouldn't take the chance...just my 2cents tho :)