• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Iridium spark plugs. Worth the $$$$?

BoaterGuy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
So I have been running these http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001RLTZC0/ref=oh_details_o09_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The LFR6AIX-11. I havent had any problems.... weird. Guess I should install the correct ones before my trip.

From what I read the correct ones are: http://www.amazon.com/NGK-ILFR6B-Laser-Iridium-Spark/dp/B000GZCU3O/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1402416005&sr=1-1&keywords=ILFR6B

I have probably put 3 hours on the engines with the wrong gap.... should I be worried?

Can I just adjust the gap down?

Last edited:

cwoav8r

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I am one of the Iridium fans as well, I run them in everything I have including my Wave Runner. Like some of the others I ran factory plugs for the first three years and at the end of each year it was obvious that there was s decrease in performance. I ran a set of Iridium's for one year and even though they were running fine I changed them because I was taking the boat to Key West and would be boating a little off shore... just didn't want to take any chances. I have now been running on the same plugs for three years as of this summer and no performance decrease yet, but I will probably replace this week when I change the oil depending on what they look like. I do pull, inspect and clean the plugs each oil change and I keep the other set on the boat as a back up.

As for seized plugs, I now consider myself an expert at dealing with them because I had two of the eight break off in my 5.4l Ford Triton V8. I knew ahead of time that I was going to have a huge issue doing that plug change because none of them would budge. I got the engine to operating temp, removed the COP's and hosed down the plug wells with SeaFoam Deep Creep and left it for the night. Even though I still broke two... I am convinced without the Deep Creep treatment it would have been eight. Anti seize on all my plugs... two products I will never be without... Anti seize and Deep Creep.

That's just my experience, your mileage may vary... ;)

bucks448

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So I have been running these http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001RLTZC0/ref=oh_details_o09_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The LFR6AIX-11. I havent had any problems.... weird. Guess I should install the correct ones before my trip.

From what I read the correct ones are: http://www.amazon.com/NGK-ILFR6B-Laser-Iridium-Spark/dp/B000GZCU3O/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1402416005&sr=1-1&keywords=ILFR6B

I have probably put 3 hours on the engines with the wrong gap.... should I be worried?

Can I just adjust the gap down?
Yes, I would at least adjust the gap.
Edit, oh, you have the Iridium version with the wrong gap. Make sure you use the right tool to gap it -

Last edited:

BoaterGuy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Thanks I watched that video and plan on heading to the auto parts store today to pick one up. I guess I'm adjusting it down to .032"

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I ran with non-iridiums for 3 years with no issue either. The only reason I changed them was I got concerned about them becoming stuck (they weren't). My boat ran great, 10,200 with no issues. Last year was the first time I had any issue with plugs being fouled.

My perspective is - if a plug is firing properly and creating a spark, then your gas will ignite. It can't partially ignite. It is Boolean. It either ignites or it doesn't. If it doesn't ignite, your RPM will drop and you'll know you have an issue. If you are reaching 10.200 RPM on the MR1s, then your igniting on each stroke. You can't improve from there. You can't add HP with a bigger spark or a better spark.

The ultimate test.....install iridiums in one engine and non iridiums in the other (blind test) in 100 boats. My bet is that if you asked the owners which engine has iridium it would be 50-50 correct.....

maboat

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I just ordered (8) CR9EB from Advance Auto for in-store pickup. Regular price, $3.79 each. I found a $10 off $30 order coupon code (PC4U123) and was able to apply it successfully a few minutes ago. Total damage, including tax, $21.54 for eight plugs = $2.69 each! Can't beat that! :D
I have GOT to STOP reading this forum on my lunch break.... :bored:

Read this today, sitting in Austin and saw an Advance Auto Parts across the street. Went online, got the sale price, walked across the street and picked them up. I don't even need new ones yet, but now I have a full set ready to go! :D

Damn this site costs me money all the time. :banghead:

Last edited:

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I have GOT to STOP reading this forum on my lunch break.... :bored:

:confused:Not really, just cost you money in advance...in the long run, your saving money! Unless you decide to sell the boat before you use them!:winkingthumbsup"

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
@maboat my scenario is even worse....I went online and bought them and I haven't picked them up yet (and don't need them yet)! But @txav8r is correct....its not like they will go off!

So the forum saved you $10 for once....now go buy a Quad Copter with that! LOL

cwoav8r

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
They didn't offer free shipping for me Ed...until I put 16 plugs in the cart and then it was!

billyb

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
I ran with non-iridiums for 3 years with no issue either. The only reason I changed them was I got concerned about them becoming stuck (they weren't). My boat ran great, 10,200 with no issues. Last year was the first time I had any issue with plugs being fouled.

My perspective is - if a plug is firing properly and creating a spark, then your gas will ignite. It can't partially ignite. It is Boolean. It either ignites or it doesn't. If it doesn't ignite, your RPM will drop and you'll know you have an issue. If you are reaching 10.200 RPM on the MR1s, then your igniting on each stroke. You can't improve from there. You can't add HP with a bigger spark or a better spark.

The ultimate test.....install iridiums in one engine and non iridiums in the other (blind test) in 100 boats. My bet is that if you asked the owners which engine has iridium it would be 50-50 correct.....
Good use of the word Boolean...you get a star for the day!!!

Glassman

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
?....I don't even need new ones yet, but now I have a full set ready to go! :D

You and me both. Last trip to the boat I was armed with oil and plugs. Got to the boat, lifted a seat, what did I find?

That's right, oil and plugs. They were on aisle three, just past the tools and first aid kit. My frikkin boat is turning into Home Depot! It's fun though. I found a bunch of stuff I was looking for. Like another birthday every time we go out.

billyb

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
I had to google that too...lol
I am a developer, I type it about 10 times per day...I never thought I would see it used perfectly on a boaters forum...lol

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

MOA_Chaser

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Haha, I saw that earlier and thought, "another software developer!!"

I tend to slip in the equality stuff too when writing... such as, "Yamaha boats == fun!"

MOA_Chaser

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@maboat my scenario is even worse....I went online and bought them and I haven't picked them up yet (and don't need them yet)! But @txav8r is correct....its not like they will go off!

So the forum saved you $10 for once....now go buy a Quad Copter with that! LOL
I drove by the store tonight and forgot to pick them up. :facepalm:

runerruner

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SR
Boat Length
Just my two cents...Talked with a Yamaha service tech before changing plugs and oil this spring. He was of the opinion that if those plugs were really that much better then Yamaha would have put them in at the factory. I have to believe that. So, I saved my money and installed the NGK's. Used the extra money on cold, adult beverages to enjoy after the job was complete!!
Yamaha don’t use them because they cheap , they don’t want to put more money than they has too. You know and I know you get what you pay for

runerruner

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SR
Boat Length
Thanks all.

I just ordered (8) CR9EB from Advance Auto for in-store pickup. Regular price, $3.79 each. I found a $10 off $30 order coupon code (PC4U123) and was able to apply it successfully a few minutes ago. Total damage, including tax, $21.54 for eight plugs = $2.69 each! Can't beat that! :D
Cr9iex on eBay $4.72 each