• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Jetboat capsizes on the Hudson killing two

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Last edited:
Sounds like way too many people on a small boat.

Yes, one report said 18’, another said 27’. The capsized hull with all the survivors clinging to it looks bigger than 18’, as there is unseen LOA underwater.

Either way, it was out during a small craft advisory. Very sad.

Be careful out there, people. Seas don't forgive.

Twin engines, definitely brp reverse buckets. From scale to the surroundings it looks to be in the 23 to 25ish length. Watch the video of them towing it.
Was stated the owner who was following on a jet ski was pulled from water too. Lots of weird conflicting info

The article says 27’

So sad. A lot of accidents and drownings here in CA this year. There have been like 13 drownings here in the last month. People refusing to wear lifevests. SMH

The new reporter says 12 to 18 feet. The boy was trapped under.
In the video it Looks like it buried the bow in the wave u can tell the jet sprayed up (the stern lifted) before sinkinghttps://www.cbsnews.com/newyork/video/new-video-shows-moment-boat-capsized-on-hudson-river/

Last edited:
So sad! They said it was a 27' Yamaha.

My guess is it was a service like boatsetter that allows owners to rent there boats and the operator was not experienced and went way to fast in choppy water and buried the nose. In the video you can see white caps and when it flipped the jet thrust shot about three times the length of the boat so it was most likely at full throttle. Speed thrills but it kills that is very sad news for all involved. When there are white caps at most I’m at 18 to 25 mph and when there are wakes from large boats you need to be carful.

My guess is it was a service like boatsetter that allows owners to rent there boats and the operator was not experienced and went way to fast in choppy water and buried the nose. In the video you can see white caps and when it flipped the jet thrust shot about three times the length of the boat so it was most likely at full throttle. Speed thrills but it kills that is very sad news for all involved. When there are white caps at most I’m at 18 to 25 mph and when there are wakes from large boats you need to be carful.

It said the captain was licensed. Could be inexperience with a jet - or just bad luck. (large wake of another boat in a SCA) Also could be the fact at least 13 people were on board. Even at a 27' that is a lot of people.

Last edited:
The video above shows an AR 240 being hauled out of the water.

In the video it Looks like it buried the bow in the wave u can tell the jet sprayed up (the stern lifted) before sinkinghttps://www.cbsnews.com/newyork/video/new-video-shows-moment-boat-capsized-on-hudson-river/

You're right. It looks like they stuffed the nose by putting it in reverse while at speed or too many people in the bow. I know my AR192 the bow is dangerously close to the water if theres 3 passengers up front and nobody in the cockpit.

Just like many stories the reporters can’t get the info correct…. How hard is it to google AR240 and get the specs.

The one thing I didn’t see mentioned that, at least from what I saw, all the orange PFD’s floating in the water and I didn’t see people wearing them. As the USCG has stated many times, 80% of drownings were preventable had the persons been wearing a pfd.

Ive been built up my cash of self inflating PFD’s, I wear mine anytime I’m on the mains, and any time I have passengers and we are cruising on the mains everyone has one on, I take a few minutes to adjust the straps on each person, they are Super comfy and unobtrusive, I often forget I have mine on. Stories like this just reinforce my adamancy that all my passengers wear them while underway.

Just like many stories the reporters can’t get the info correct…. How hard is it to google AR240 and get the specs.

The one thing I didn’t see mentioned that, at least from what I saw, all the orange PFD’s floating in the water and I didn’t see people wearing them. As the USCG has stated many times, 80% of drownings were preventable had the persons been wearing a pfd.

Ive been built up my cash of self inflating PFD’s, I wear mine anytime I’m on the mains, and any time I have passengers and we are cruising on the mains everyone has one on, I take a few minutes to adjust the straps on each person, they are Super comfy and unobtrusive, I often forget I have mine on. Stories like this just reinforce my adamancy that all my passengers wear them while underway.

I/we wear inflatables also. In order for them to be considered a PDF, they need to be on a person, not at their feet. Don’t forget to check the cartridge.

Back