• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

JetBoaters.net Bimini Fling July 10th to 15th 2017

Ramblin Wreck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
View attachment 59313 Mrs. Chris24, Beth, made it approximately 12 miles pounding waves on her jet ski averaging 12 to 15 mph. We had to circle back and found the jet ski under power, but with no propulsion..We found drive shaft sheared off.. seas to rough to tow, after a few tears, my wife released "Speedy" in the abyss of the Atlantic ocean..
She's a trooper for hanging in there. Nothing you can do about mechanical failures. Glad to know you both made it. Hope to see y'all real soon.

96Pirate

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Glad to hear everyone made it safely and those that did not make it yet please have a safe trip over tomorrow.

Hope all of you have a fabulous time and smooth sailing home.

Looking forward to seeing lots of photos and videos.

Mike

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tige
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Man, I'm supposed to be working but I just read backwards through about 15 pages. Quite the adventure! Property damage is fixable, glad to hear everyone is accounted for, even if a little worse for wear. And I thought thunderstorms sucked in the midwest...

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
When we went out on Sunday, we got 45 miles and then these two thunderheads blew up and sat between us and Bimini. We ended up following the big 80' boat (driven by Bill- we met him tonight) through the storm and got soaked....but thankfully made it through the storm without too much problem!

Today....different story....

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Damage I assessed so far from today's crossing....
  • Collapsed tower
  • Broken seat base
  • Bent steering wheel
  • broken anchor locker latch
  • Anchor locker lid came off completely
  • Broken ski drive shaft....ski abandoned
  • Tower speaker mounts broken
  • Bimini cover destroyed
  • bimini Supports broken
  • windshield broken
  • Hand rail broken
Was a rough crossing and at least 3-4 boats ran out of gas....

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I saw on facebook someone was getting medivaced out who was that?

Ziess21

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
How in the world did a windshield get broken? Would like to hear more about that!

latitudeadjuster

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
How in the world did a windshield get broken? Would like to hear more about that!
LAST year, not to get confused I believe @chris24 had his window closed. The bow flexed and the windshield fell downward, it didn't break tho but could have. And we didn't even have that bad of a crossing! I was thinking this is what MAY have happened today to someone but we will find out. I wouldn't be surprised if class just cracked from impacts with water etc....ugh.

latitudeadjuster

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
View attachment 59313 Mrs. Chris24, Beth, made it approximately 12 miles pounding waves on her jet ski averaging 12 to 15 mph. We had to circle back and found the jet ski under power, but with no propulsion..We found drive shaft sheared off.. seas to rough to tow, after a few tears, my wife released "Speedy" in the abyss of the Atlantic ocean..
So, guessing this is the abandoned green hull craft the coast guard found and towed in? damn, glad she was able to get aboard! If so it was on the VHF and Everglades Webcam being towed.....

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
This is not something new....if you leave the center windshield closed, you can launch off a wave and the upper hull actually separates significantly.....so much so that your center windshield glass either ends up on the wrong side of the windshield (inside the cabin vs forward towards the bow) or it gets pinched between both sides of the windshield, gets compressed and shatters.

Perhaps we need to have a new guide on things to do when dealing with rough water and storms.....
  1. In rough water, open your center windshield
  2. Bring enough gas so that you can take evasive action away from storms
  3. Only drive as fast as your boat can handle....driving too fast in rough water wil break your boat and potentially you. If you can't make it with the gas you have....turn back or bring plenty of spare gas.
  4. Plan on a "window of departure" so you can pick the best day to make the crossing
  5. Make sure your boat is in tip top condition and you know how to work all the electronics (I failed this one-entering a GPS location into a Garmin 541 is a FUCKING PAIN IN THE ASS....I gave up and switched to my phone....so I was ready with back up...but shouldn't have needed it!)
I'm sure there are more "guides" we could add....but learning and adapting is one of the most important parts of making this trip.....

Ramblin Wreck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@2nazt @ClemsonTiger I'll be traveling down I95 tomorrow to leave Wednesday morning for Bimini. By chance do you know of a good scuba shop, marina/boating supply store, etc. where I could pick up a inexpensive pole spear or Hawaiian slip. @Andy S had a few on his boat in Abacos and they where a ton of fun to play with. Something like this what I'm looking for. Thx

upload_2017-7-11_1-50-2.png

2nazt

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tidewater
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@Ramblin Wreck Offer up you may find deals but there is Florida Freedivers in Lake Worth, and they have a vast selection. There is Scuba Works in Jupiter, Drift Freediving in Lighthouse Point and a ton of others also.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Jin had mentioned swatskis tower fell on him. Even though it's aluminum it's still pretty heavy and I couldn't imagine how that felt!!! I've had mine fall on my collar bone before and I swore I broke it lol. I'm guessing he was the one knocked unconscious? OUCH!!! Who had to be medivac'd?

Last edited:

McMark

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Are any folks crossing today? I'm not sure I can take another day like yesterday.

Majorsmackdown

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hey everyone - one of my tower fasteners (the big rubber coated knob) was very very loose yesterday afer ariving. I cranked them both down tight before departure. I noticed another boat had one really loose too. Check those regularly.

Dang @swatski - I'm glad you're still alive !!!

Majorsmackdown

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Damage I assessed so far from today's crossing....
  • Collapsed tower
  • Broken seat base
  • Bent steering wheel
  • broken anchor locker latch
  • Anchor locker lid came off completely
  • Broken ski drive shaft....ski abandoned
  • Tower speaker mounts broken
  • Bimini cover destroyed
  • bimini Supports broken
  • windshield broken
  • Hand rail broken
Was a rough crossing and at least 3-4 boats ran out of gas....
Multiple broken or damaged center panel windshields, the scarab lost a whole side section as well.

Sheared off bolts from hard top (@tim h )

I believe a bow cover was lost as well.

Boats adrift (temporarily lost at sea).

Children and parents screaming and kicking !

Bill D

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Lol, @swatski should get the ironman award. He's as tough as they come.

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Does any one know how long it takes for PSD to kick in ???:arghh:

Drift Away

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Does any one know how long it takes for PSD to kick in ???:arghh:
A day a week a year, i did wake up in the middle of the night thinking i was on the boat still

tim h

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Trophy
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Just got caught up on the 15+ pages....

I'm glad all are safe and sound. It was pretty rough...

The storm sent a welcoming fresh water rinse, however the
nearby lightning strikes were a bit scary for the girls. I strayed off course about a mile attempting to stay away from it but we got the edge of it any way. Seas in the stream were probably in the 4 to 6 range from the SE with the occasional blind sided ones from the north. My radio was intermittently losing power. The main screws that hold my hard top down sheared off. I had to have swatski's wife drive while I layed on the cabin tying a rope to try keep from losing the whole hard top. The rear screws loosend as well. It was even slower going after that.. Repairs definitely needed before heading home.