• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

JetBoaters.net Bimini Fling July 9th to 14th 2018

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Reef fish, especially yellow tail avoid bait where they can see the line. I use 25 pound fluorocarbon on my small reels.

I use 80# braid on two heavy reels.

I have forgotten how much line I have but nothing close to 1,000 yards. I tend to fish in 50’ or less of water.
Yeah, isn't everything closer to bimini "shallower"?

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Reef fish, especially yellow tail avoid bait where they can see the line. I use 25 pound fluorocarbon on my small reels.

I use 80# braid on two heavy reels.

I have forgotten how much line I have but nothing close to 1,000 yards. I tend to fish in 50’ or less of water.
Thanks. Think I finally have the final piece of the puzzle aside from buying squid bait in bimini. The reels I got will hold 130 yards of 25 lb 100% fluorocarbon based on line thickness. 2 reels plus those reels came with spare spools. So if I only spool up 100 yards each I can get away with only 400 yards. I really hope to check out what others are using and gain a bit of knowledge while in Bimini. My oldest son loves fishing and I have failed him in this regard.

Given that my biggest concern at this point is getting my trim tabs installed, fishing gear, and how much cash to bring for fuel I think we are pretty much ready.

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
How do you guys keep paperwork dry?
Passports, condo info, marina info, various cash etc?
you give the various cash to me, everything else in a double ziplock bag. A pelican case will probably be better than they are not cheap and are bulky.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
buying squid bait in bimini
I buy frozen squid at the grocery store in Fort Lauderdale or stop at Lauderdale Marine on the way to Bahia Mar to fuel up and pick up bait. Make sure to have a gallon zip lock to put it in.

I really hope to check out what others are using and gain a bit of knowledge while in Bimini
Three Sisters is a good place to snorkel and catch a few small reef fish while waiting for snorkelers. Typically several boats will fish while there.

I am sure that you will have opportunities to fish with others.

I want to say that I will take you but life is always very busy while the group is there. Hopefully it works out.

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
zip lock bag or just stuff it in your bag with your clothes.
are the clothes going to be on vacuumed sealed bag ? If not, no warranty it will be dry.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Ziplock style dry bags are the way to go for documents. A set of Loksak branded dry bags has served my family well for four years.

Hector

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I suggest that everyone bring a small pack of frozen squid, double or triple bagged in zip locks, for feeding to the rays. It doubles as bait and entertainment for the whole crew.

tim h

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Trophy
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Thanks. Think I finally have the final piece of the puzzle aside from buying squid bait in bimini. The reels I got will hold 130 yards of 25 lb 100% fluorocarbon based on line thickness. 2 reels plus those reels came with spare spools. So if I only spool up 100 yards each I can get away with only 400 yards. I really hope to check out what others are using and gain a bit of knowledge while in Bimini. My oldest son loves fishing and I have failed him in this regard.

Given that my biggest concern at this point is getting my trim tabs installed, fishing gear, and how much cash to bring for fuel I think we are pretty much ready.
Flouro is expensive thats why you only use the last several feet.
Mono gives you some stretch
Braid is small in diam so you can get more overall capacity on your reel. Downside is it doesn't stretch...

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Flouro is expensive thats why you only use the last several feet.
Mono gives you some stretch
Braid is small in diam so you can get more overall capacity on your reel. Downside is it doesn't stretch...
Now I get it. The flouro is so the fish bite, the mono is for a bit of give for few reasons and the braid saves space while being strong. What I don’t get is how to splice them all together and still have smooth action off the reel without hanging up. I will probably stick with the 100% flouro I have already ordered but I am very interested to know how that all gets spliced together. I really am going to have to charter a sport fishing trip at some point. Perhaps a good b day present for my sons 16th birthday in September ... Shhhh.

Joe c

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Just an FYI for everyone and @Bruce i will not be attending the Bimini trip this year so bs-21a is now open

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Just an FYI for everyone and @Bruce i will not be attending the Bimini trip this year so bs-21a is now open
Sorry to hear that!

That makes two ocean front condos that have opened up. For anyone who has a marina view condo you will not regret spending a little extra for those amazing ocean views!

C9172276-4F3C-4FE8-AFD8-181D743D7AE6.jpeg

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Going back to the gas carrying discussion @Mainah , I wouldnt put a big tank back there. I'd just tie down 2 or 3 five gallon cans on the lower step and be done with it. They are easy to load into the boat in high seas (yup...I had to do this for Barefoot Island last year when they ran out of gas and were so seasick they could barely move), and won't get in the way of opening the clean out hatch in the event you need to.

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Going back to the gas carrying discussion @Mainah , I wouldnt put a big tank back there. I'd just tie down 2 or 3 five gallon cans on the lower step and be done with it. They are easy to load into the boat in high seas (yup...I had to do this for Barefoot Island last year when they ran out of gas and were so seasick they could barely move), and won't get in the way of opening the clean out hatch in the event you need to.

I agree being over the clean outs with a large single container weight is far from ideal. I am struggling with how to tie down single cans or the large caddy on the lower deck to my liking or that is what I would do. Luckily my crew includes two teenagers who are no stranger to the weight room or being able to balance (14 yo state podium wrestler/football player and 6'2" 15 yo football/basketball player). I fell off the diet and exercise wagon this winter with some injuries but I am no slouch in power to weight ratio or balancing either. Just the same I will play around with tying things down different way when I install my trim tabs to see if I can come up with a better way. I can only imagine how much energy a 14 gallon caddy would have once a large wave sets it in motion and the resulting outcome.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I agree being over the clean outs with a large single container weight is far from ideal. I am struggling with how to tie down single cans or the large caddy on the lower deck to my liking or that is what I would do. Luckily my crew includes two teenagers who are no stranger to the weight room or being able to balance (14 yo state podium wrestler/football player and 6'2" 15 yo football/basketball player). I fell off the diet and exercise wagon this winter with some injuries but I am no slouch in power to weight ratio or balancing either. Just the same I will play around with tying things down different way when I install my trim tabs to see if I can come up with a better way. I can only imagine how much energy a 14 gallon caddy would have once a large wave sets it in motion and the resulting outcome.
I simply tied mine down to the handle between the upper and lower decks. I used 3 separate ratch style ties downs.....and those 3 cans never budged.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I just had an idea. The caddy can go on the lower swim deck with a ratchet strap running from one transom tie down up over the caddy through the swim deck handle back over the caddy and down to the other tie down. The vent cap has a center relief that allows for full shut off so no concerns about water getting in. Will have to test that out. Thanks @Julian for making me rethink. Will take photos when I test fit it.

Rod5

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
If you’re any good with wood, make a tray out of some 2 x4’s and some ply wood or foam board as the bottom, & 3 inch drywall screws or nails if your into them. Kind of a rough Drawer the cans can sit in to help stabilize them. Haven’t made mine yet so no pic.