• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Keelguard help

dadofral

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
2015 212x. Just noticed the keel guard is coming off. About 12-14 inches of it hanging off the hull. I didn’t put it on originally as I am second owner. What are the best steps to get it back on the hull and what adhesive should be used?

I would call the previous owner to see which brand it is. Some of the manufacturers will cover a new one, or at least offer tips on how to replace or fix it.

I would call the previous owner to see which brand it is. Some of the manufacturers will cover a new one, or at least offer tips on how to replace or fix it.
I appreciate the reply, but I live in Michigan and Bought the boat in Tennessee. I no longaer have any contact info from the previous owner as this is our fourth summer with this boat. There is no way for me to contact him.

I had a chunk ripped loose, and re-glued with 3M spray adhesive to get me through the season. Or at least until I found another deal on a new guard. It held fine, but the original adhesive is the best. Heat can help get it set as well.

If you need to figure out if it is a Keel Guard, or keel shield there is an easy way to tell. One has ribs from front to back. The other is tapered and smoothed on the leading and trailing edges.

Gator Guard Keelshield is ribbed to the edge. I have installed two of these.

71S5rXup-wL.__AC_SX300_SY300_QL70_FMwebp_.jpg

Megaware Keelguard is tapered and smoothed. I have installed one of these. Both are about the same for install. and removal.

41E8D9Bf7XL._AC_.jpg

Good luck!

I had a chunk ripped loose, and re-glued with 3M spray adhesive to get me through the season. Or at least until I found another deal on a new guard. It held fine, but the original adhesive is the best. Heat can help get it set as well.

If you need to figure out if it is a Keel Guard, or keel shield there is an easy way to tell. One has ribs from front to back. The other is tapered and smoothed on the leading and trailing edges.

Gator Guard Keelshield is ribbed to the edge. I have installed two of these.

71S5rXup-wL.__AC_SX300_SY300_QL70_FMwebp_.jpg

Megaware Keelguard is tapered and smoothed. I have installed one of these. Both are about the same for install. and removal.

41E8D9Bf7XL._AC_.jpg

Good luck!

Great info, thank you....what type of 3M adhesive did you use??

Great info, thank you....what type of 3M adhesive did you use??
Of course an adhesive company has a million of them. I keep a spray can of generic all purpose 3m Adhesive in my shop. I would have to look at the can to be sure. I'm pretty sure its 3M Super 77. I use the crap for everything. But keep it off your skin, it may lead to a bad day.

Of course an adhesive company has a million of them. I keep a spray can of generic all purpose 3m Adhesive in my shop. I would have to look at the can to be sure. I'm pretty sure its 3M Super 77. I use the crap for everything. But keep it off your skin, it may lead to a bad day.

Understood, I may scrap off the gray stuff and then use something like this....boat is going in storage end of next month, so just need to get this done for the season and put a new on one before it goes in or next spring when it comes out....thanks for the help.

Try using weld wood contact cement in the red can . I used this on the engine gasket after the 3m 90 spray adhesive failed.

Scraped all the adhesive off the boat last night using a razor blade, cleaned the area with goo be gone pro and that took the residue off the whole area and some fine scraping with the blade. Tonight using the afore mentioned weld wood to put it back on the boat until I decide to replace it.

I would clean the area with Acetone after using the goo be gone or anything else before applying the new adhesive.

Also, it is common for keel guards to come loose. What I did, as others have, is when I put my Keel Gaurd on (Gator Shield), after I was done I used black 4200 around the outside which sealed it to the boat that way no water or water pressure can get in there and start peeling it off. just put a small bead and run your damp finger or a plastic tool like you would caulking molding and it works great.

Last edited:
I would clean the area with Acetone after using the goo be gone or anything else before applying the new adhesive.

Also, it is common for keel guards to come loose. What I did, as others have, is when I put my Keel Gaurd on (Gator Shield), after I was done I used black 4200 around the outside which sealed it to the boat that way no water or water pressure can get in there and start peeling it off. just put a small bead and run your damp finger or a plastic tool like you would caulking molding and it works great.
Will do. Where can I get the 4200??

I had a fiberglass repair shop professionally install a full length 22' keel guard (off a 150' roll of the product) on our 2016 242x and to deal with the tight folds at the rear, due to the 2.5 to 3" inch keel molded into the back of the hull, the shop used epoxy to keep it from ungluing or bubbling. Seemed to work pretty good during the last two years we owned the boat.
The shop owner said they used epoxy quite often and have literally installed over a 1000 keel guards over the years using epoxy to enhance the keelguard glue. He said it was actually what the product manufacture recommended on difficult or tricky install areas.
Just something to consider...

Attachments

• keelgurard 1.jpg
    keelgurard 1.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 21
  • keelgurard 2.jpg
    keelgurard 2.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 20
Back